Bucket List Trip Planned

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanno

OBS Chief
My wife and I will be flying to Seattle this July to take a vacation with some family members. I have always had a desire to cross the country by train so we have decided to take the train home from Seattle to Baltimore. My father made this trip (although his trip took him to Harrisburg on the Boardway Limited and not to Baltimore) in 1988 and since then it has been on my "bucket list". We will have a sleeper on the EB and CL.

Many of you have made such a trip. So I am curious if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions relative to this trip? Your input is always appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds fun! I took a similar trip - although in the opposite direction and via the LSL, SWC and CS - last year. You can read my trip report on my blog at http://trainsacrossamerica.blogspot.com.

My #1 recommendation is to just sit back and enjoy the ride - don't let yourself get stressed if you are delayed, etc. Be sure to attend the wine tasting on the EB!

My wife and I will be flying to Seattle this July to take a vacation with some family members. I have always had a desire to cross the country by train so we have decided to take the train home from Seattle to Baltimore. My father made this trip (although his trip took him to Harrisburg on the Boardway Limited and not to Baltimore) in 1988 and since then it has been on my "bucket list". We will have a sleeper on the EB and CL.

Many of you have made such a trip. So I am curious if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions relative to this trip? Your input is always appreciated.
:hi: Welcome! Nice trip! :cool: Please read all the tons of info available on this site, and as specific questions come to mind please ask them! We have plenty of knowledgeable members here @ AU who will be glad to help you, some of their advice will even be True!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

My choice would be:

• SEA to CA on the Coast Starlight in a sleeper! (See if you can connect in Davis, Martinez or Emeryville instead - you'll have to call and speak to an agent to book this!)
  • CA to Chicago on the California Zephyr in a sleeper
  • If possible to get a sleeper, the Cardinal from Chicago to Baltimore - ask for an odd number roomette if not a bedroom! (If not, then the CL to WAS in a sleeper and a Regional to BAL.)
If this is done as an AGR award, you would have to call anyway!

Just me 2¢ worth!

I don't know if you're looking for suggestions on specific topics or not, but here's mine. If you have the time, I'd consider spending the night in Chicago en route. That way, if the Empire Builder gets delayed, you won't spend your whole EB trip worrying about missing your connection. :)

Have a great time!

I don't know if you're looking for suggestions on specific topics or not, but here's mine. If you have the time, I'd consider spending the night in Chicago en route. That way, if the Empire Builder gets delayed, you won't spend your whole EB trip worrying about missing your connection. :)

Have a great time!
That is a great suggestion. My other suggestion is to make sure you spend some time in the sightseer lounge. Have a great trip and as Amamba said, don't miss the wine tasting on the EB.

Your first morning on the EB, go in to breakfast early and plan on heading straight to the sightseer lounge from the diner. Grab a couple of seats for the trip through Glacier National Park.

Link doesn't work....

one . too many - this one works.... looking forward to reading it - http://trainsacrossamerica.blogspot.com/
smile.gif

Sounds fun! I took a similar trip - although in the opposite direction and via the LSL, SWC and CS - last year. You can read my trip report on my blog at http://trainsacrossa...a.blogspot.com.
My #1 recommendation is to just sit back and enjoy the ride - don't let yourself get stressed if you are delayed, etc. Be sure to attend the wine tasting on the EB!

My choice would be:

• SEA to CA on the Coast Starlight in a sleeper! (See if you can connect in Davis, Martinez or Emeryville instead - you'll have to call and speak to an agent to book this!)
  • If possible to get a sleeper, the Cardinal from Chicago to Baltimore - ask for an odd number roomette if not a bedroom! (If not, then the CL to WAS in a sleeper and a Regional to BAL.)

Just me 2¢ worth!
I appreciate all the suggestions. Is it worth the extra time and money to take CZ? Also I have read negative reports about the Cardinal, especially service and dining.

Could you explain what you mean by connecting in Davis, Martinez or Emoryville. Does the CS and CZ run on the same tracks? What would the advantage be of such a connection? Just trying to understand.

Again thanks!

Could you explain what you mean by connecting in Davis, Martinez or Emoryville. Does the CS and CZ run on the same tracks? What would the advantage be of such a connection? Just trying to understand.

Again thanks!
Yep, the two trains run on the same tracks between Sacramento and Emeryville. Amtrak would typically book you with a connection in Sacramento, since that's the safest in terms of connecting time ... but if the Starlight is on time you could make the connection further south, and get some additional train-riding miles in. The stretch of track between Sacramento and Emeryville is more scenic than you might think, with some nice waterfront mileage, so it's worth the ride.

Again thanks!
Yep, the two trains run on the same tracks between Sacramento and Emeryville. Amtrak would typically book you with a connection in Sacramento, since that's the safest in terms of connecting time ... but if the Starlight is on time you could make the connection further south, and get some additional train-riding miles in. The stretch of track between Sacramento and Emeryville is more scenic than you might think, with some nice waterfront mileage, so it's worth the ride.
I connected in Martinez last month and was able to get breakfast on the CS before my couple hour layover. I would have preferred Emeryville, but the AGR agent with whom I spoke told me that it was not permitted (even though in October, I know of at least 2 AU members that connected in EMY on their way home from the gathering).

Also by connecting further down the line, besides more train miles, you:

1. Do not have to get off the CS at 6:xx AM and wait around for 4 or more hours
  2. Have a shorter layover time at your connecting point, and
  3. Get breakfast on the CS. Service starts once the wheels start turning departing SAC!
    excl.gif

There is no breakfast served on the CZ that first morning.

On the topic of connecting elsewhere than the "recommended" stations, how does one do this? If you do this, are connections guaranteed? I ask this because I've had situations where the time/place/duration of the default connection was less than desirable, and would have preferred to connect elsewhere.

My choice would be:

Just me 2¢ worth!
I appreciate all the suggestions. Is it worth the extra time and money to take CZ? Also I have read negative reports about the Cardinal, especially service and dining.

Again thanks!
OK I now understand the recommendation to connect at Davis or Eneryville. Makes sense. But is taking the CS and CZ a big advantage over the EB? Or is it six of one and a half dozen of the other? Also, as mentioned previously, is the Cardinal a good trip as compared to the CL?

My choice would be:

Just me 2¢ worth!

Again thanks!
OK I now understand the recommendation to connect at Davis or Eneryville. Makes sense. But is taking the CS and CZ a big advantage over the EB? Or is it six of one and a half dozen of the other? Also, as mentioned previously, is the Cardinal a good trip as compared to the CL?
In my opinion, the EB is a Great Trip but, the CS-CZ Route is more scenic & one day longer!!!

Have Fun

CS & CZ are amazing - absolutely stunning. I totally recommend it, and what you should do is book your ticket to Emeryville. At Martinez, if the CS is more than 1/2 hour behind, just get off, nbd. But stay on for the waterfront scenery and the sleeping in if you are under 1/2 hour late. You definitely need a sleeper on the CS, for access to the Pacific Parlour Car, and if you have the budget/points, the CZ too, just bcuz it's long. I absolutely love both of those trains

Well I think we're sold on taking the CS instead of the EB (we'll save that for another opportunity). I checked out You Tube and watched some video of the scenery to be seen on the CS. Looks great! Of course if we take the CS we'll be taking the CZ as well since we are going to Chicago.

Now the decision is whether to take the CL and a regional to BAL or take the Cardinal. I've been on the CL to and from Chicago before but have never traveled on the Cardinal. Would this be a good decision? How are the meals and service on the Cardinal?

Thanks for your input!

I'm heading out on the EB in late Feb, I want to see snow!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back