Buying 2 coach seats for 1 person?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
(I have gone to sleep with an empty seat next to me, and woke up the following morning to find it occupied by somebody who boarded during the night. I have also been on the other side.)
rolleyes.gif
Why do I get the feeling that something similar has happened to the_traveler even when he wasn't on a train? :D
But usually it's somebody I meet first!
mosking.gif

And I have never seen the car attendant or conductor come thru the car and force 1/2 the single travelers move to an isle seat. Possibly, these single travelers are "regulars" who they don't want to upset?
On the Empire Builder the front part of each coach is usually reserved for parties of two or more traveling together, and I've seen coach attendants enforce it. For that matter, I've asked a singleton traveling in that part of the coach to move so that Mrs. Ispolkom and I could sit together.

At every station, they do not always open every door, so they try to seat people by destination whenever possible.
Maybe this time that's simply not possible. Maybe this time they'll simply open a different door and put the family in another car. Problem solved and imaginary crisis averted. If I had the means and the will to buy every single seat and compartment on a given train should I not be able to travel on that train completely alone? Should I be forced to let in whoever shows up at the station looking for a ride even though I've already bought out the whole train? If not then why should I be forced to let them into my paid car, my paid row, or the single paid seat next to me?

I checked rates out for a month from now. Coach seat would be $122.00 and roomette another $133.00. So two coach seats would be $244.00 and one fare and roomette $355.00. I'd spring for the extra $100.00 not have to worry about who is sitting next to me for the next 1461 miles and 28 hours. Maybe you can convince her it's worth a few more dollars for the privacy, showers and free meals.

I checked rates out for a month from now. Coach seat would be $122.00 and roomette another $133.00. So two coach seats would be $244.00 and one fare and roomette $355.00. I'd spring for the extra $100.00 not have to worry about who is sitting next to me for the next 1461 miles and 28 hours. Maybe you can convince her it's worth a few more dollars for the privacy, showers and free meals.
Are you sure on that math? Wouldn't a coach/roomette be $255? <BR><BR>edited to add:  I looked on the AMTRAK site -coach was $122,  the roomette was an additional $233 - so that would be about what you quoted. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you sure on that math? Wouldn't a coach/roomette be $255? <BR><BR>edited to add:  I looked on the AMTRAK site -coach was $122,  the roomette was an additional $233 - so that would be about what you quoted. 
Correct. Accomodation fee was $233 on top of the $122.00 fare. Total would be $355 for a roomette opposed to $244 for two coach seats.

At every station, they do not always open every door, so they try to seat people by destination whenever possible.
Maybe this time that's simply not possible. Maybe this time they'll simply open a different door and put the family in another car. ... If not then why should I be forced to let them into ... the single paid seat next to me?
Many stops are just long enough to board passengers (like under 1 minute). Many times, by the time I put my luggage in the rack and get upstairs, the train is already moving. So the family gets upstairs and then finds that the only seats are on opposite ends of the car, and that YOU do not want to move - are they supposed to stop the train, call dispatch to get authorization to back up, have the Conductor position himself or herself at the back door, and then back up to the station - just so they can open another door?
huh.gif

Remember that you did not purchase 2 seats next to each other (unless you SPECIFICALLY requested seats #1 and #2), which Amtrak does not do! You only reserved 2 seats on that certain train, but there is nothing that says they must be together!
rolleyes.gif
Why should 1 person be allowed to take 2 seats next to other at the expense of a family that wants to sit together?
huh.gif

Part of traveling on Amtrak is meeting and taking to other people! I supposed you are one that also demands to be seated in the Dining Car booth alone - restricting 3 other passengers from having a meal?
rolleyes.gif

Maybe this time that's simply not possible. Maybe this time they'll simply open a different door and put the family in another car. ... If not then why should I be forced to let them into ... the single paid seat next to me?
Many stops are just long enough to board passengers (like under 1 minute). Many times, by the time I put my luggage in the rack and get upstairs, the train is already moving. So the family gets upstairs and then finds that the only seats are on opposite ends of the car, and that YOU do not want to move - are they supposed to stop the train, call dispatch to get authorization to back up, have the Conductor position himself or herself at the back door, and then back up to the station - just so they can open another door?
huh.gif

Remember that you did not purchase 2 seats next to each other (unless you SPECIFICALLY requested seats #1 and #2), which Amtrak does not do! You only reserved 2 seats on that certain train, but there is nothing that says they must be together!
rolleyes.gif
Why should 1 person be allowed to take 2 seats next to other at the expense of a family that wants to sit together?
huh.gif

Part of traveling on Amtrak is meeting and taking to other people! I supposed you are one that also demands to be seated in the Dining Car booth alone - restricting 3 other passengers from having a meal?
rolleyes.gif
Being seated alone for dinner is usually reserved only for premeire travelers, like the_traveler. We who reside with the hoi-polloi are usually seated with others.... :) Or, worse yet, our own relatives... (the_traveler - I hope you will take this as a compliment on your high status on the rails...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Being seated alone for dinner is usually reserved only for premeire travelers, like the_traveler. We who reside with the hoi-polloi are usually seated with others.... :) Or, worse yet, our own relatives... (the_traveler - I hope you will take this as a compliment on your high status on the rails...)
Usually I take my meals in the penthouse suite, served by my staff!
laugh.gif

Usually I take my meals in the penthouse suite, served by my staff!
laugh.gif
I stand corrected-and penitent for my assumption :)

Many times, by the time I put my luggage in the rack and get upstairs, the train is already moving. So the family gets upstairs and then finds that the only seats are on opposite ends of the car, and that YOU do not want to move - are they supposed to stop the train, call dispatch to get authorization to back up, have the Conductor position himself or herself at the back door, and then back up to the station - just so they can open another door?
Maybe this mythical family shouldn't be riding the train if they can't even manage to make it to the next coach car. Or maybe it's time you dropped this contrived attempt to pit implausibly abusive single travelers against impossibly fragile families?

Wouldn't that point apply equally to your mythical fainting family as well?

I supposed you are one that also demands to be seated in the Dining Car booth alone - restricting 3 other passengers from having a meal?
It's funny you would say this since I tend to avoid the diner but if I was willing to buy four meals at once, sure, why not? :lol:

A couple of things, first, I don't know what Amtrak's policy is in this regard. I am checking into it though because I'm curious. I can say that as far as I'm concerned, and I think most conductors too, if you paid for two seats, then most Amtrak staff would not object to you having two seats together. I do not believe most would be jerks and give you two seats at opposite ends of the car.

That being said, Amtrak does try, and Train Attendants should too, to sit couples and families together. This occasionally means asking a single traveler to change seats. It certainly is easier when the TA is good and experienced at managing their cars and don't let every single traveler spread out to where there aren't any double seats available.

You also are not supposed to move to another car other than the one you were boarded on. Passengers are boarded based upon final destination and the passengers already on board going to the same destination. If there aren't seats available together ask the TA for assistance. If your final destination is a major stop where ALL doors open then ask the attendant or conductor about moving to another car.

One final note regarding a single passenger purchasing two seats. As I said, myself and I believe most conductors and attendants would have no problem if you paid for it. There is one caveat though, Amtrak can and does overbook trains by a percentage. If it comes to this and the train is oversold, I'm going to give that seat to a live passenger who otherwise would be standing or having to sit in the lounge. I'd happily return the ticket and call customer service to advise that you are due a refund.

I hate to disagree with the_traveler, but I am just not seeing why this hypothetical family, who bought two seats, is somehow taking priority over a single person who bought two seats. Sure, amtrak does not guarantee two seats together, so why should the family assume that they get to sit together over the person who bought two seats?

Now, what about a legitimate person of size who might need two sizes? I realize one would need to be very large to require two seats on amtrak, but those people are out there and probably not flying, either. Shouldn't they be able to buy two seats for the comfort of everyone involved?

Maybe I should try this on the Cardinal next month. Low-bucket fares are down to $57 CVS-CHI.

I hate to disagree with the_traveler, but I am just not seeing why this hypothetical family, who bought two seats, is somehow taking priority over a single person who bought two seats. Sure, amtrak does not guarantee two seats together, so why should the family assume that they get to sit together over the person who bought two seats?

Now, what about a legitimate person of size who might need two sizes? I realize one would need to be very large to require two seats on amtrak, but those people are out there and probably not flying, either. Shouldn't they be able to buy two seats for the comfort of everyone involved?
Good point about Supersized individuals. To add to that, I as a single passenger would be less than happy if the conductor or coach attendant directed me to take a seat next to such a person who had purchased two seats. You'd be ending up with half-a-seat, at best!

All of this boils down to common sense and courtesy. EB_OBS has got it right: unless there was some extreme case of standing passengers, personnel would use good judgment and give you the two seats together.

And all of this also raises another hypothetical for the Traveler to chew on: why not allow Amtrak to sell the upper bunk in a roomette only occupied by one person, in cases where rooms are sold out? Actually, it's not a hypothetical in Europe, it's the reality. That's what they do in Europe. I bought both sleeper spaces in rooms on trains in the Czech Republic and on the German City Nite train in order to make sure I didn't end up with a stranger sleeping with me.

I'm just going to say this final things, and agree to disagree.

True, the single traveler has the same right to take 2 seats that (s)he paid for as the family. I'm not saying all (or any) train travelers are child molesters, but would you prefer your 3 year old daughter to be sitting and sleeping next to a man on the opposite end of the car as her parent, or next to her parent after a single traveler was asked to move so 2 seats next to each other could be used?
huh.gif

I have heard of "a person of size" on some airline (I forget which) that was required to buy 2 seats. The airline assigned him something like seats 15-C and 23-D!
blink.gif

So um... I heard that Amtrak cancels a ticket if the ticketholder does not board the train at their station. Even if two seats are booked in the same name there will only be one person by that name boarding the train. Doesn't that mean the other ticket would/could be cancelled?

I'm not saying all (or any) train travelers are child molesters, but would you prefer your 3 year old daughter to be sitting and sleeping next to a man on the opposite end of the car as her parent, or next to her parent after a single traveler was asked to move so 2 seats next to each other could be used?
What on earth are you even talking about anymore? First you accuse single travelers of being antisocial by trying to avoid being paired up with other strangers. Then you turn around and accuse them of plotting to get closer to children. Or forcing children to be paired up with other strangers? It's hard to know what exactly you're worried about because it's utterly bizarre and incomprehensible as written. Nothing you've said explains how you ever developed these concerns or came to these conclusions. It's just mind boggling to see such a simple topic get twisted into such a confusing discussion for no obvious reason or benefit.

I have heard of "a person of size" on some airline (I forget which) that was required to buy 2 seats. The airline assigned him something like seats 15-C and 23-D!
Maybe you just forgot the part where the obese person wasn't actually cut into two pieces and was instead allowed to sit in two adjoining seats regardless of what the reservation said?

I've boarded the southbound Meteor #97 at Richmond, VA before to find the train oversold, and needed to wait around an hour before being assigned a coach seat. If I'd bought two coach seats for that journey in the same manner the OP suggests, it would most likely have been a huge hassle and disappointment. Instead, I was treated to a wait in the Club Car talking to a group on their way to a family reunion in Savannah. The interaction with them was a highlight of the evening.

I dare say IMHO the in-law seems a bit too paranoid for coach travel, and instead should book a roomette if they are that unwilling to take a chance on who sits beside them. Given the nature of Amtrak reservations, booking two coach seats on an LD train and expecting the crew to make sure both of your seats would be side-by-side seems impractical.

As a quick test, I tried costing a coach seat SPK-MSP a week from now. A roomette added on the #8 Empire Builder was $9 more that the cost of the coach fare. Another option was a #28 roomette (same Empire Builder, correct?) for $80 above coach fare!

Book a seat on either #8 or #28 = $153. Two seats same/either Builder $306. Roomette on #8 = $315. Roomette on #28 = $386. Whaddup wid dis?!

Book a seat on either #8 or #28 = $153. Two seats same/either Builder $306. Roomette on #8 = $315. Roomette on #28 = $386. Whaddup wid dis?!
Train #8 and #28 do in fact operate as one train between Spokane and Chicago, but because of a limitation of Arrow (the computer reservation system), each "train" must be sold (and priced) separately! The only difference is #8 has 2-3 sleepers and comes from Seattle. and #28 has 1 sleeper and comes from Portland. So #8 has 2-3 times more rooms than #28, so usually the fares are lower on #8!
wink.gif

I defer to those more knowledgeable as to Amtrak's policy on buying 2 seats and using 1, but I should think that if the train is crowded, the OP's relative might feel some pressure from other passengers looking for seats. I went to Harrisburg from Greensburg and back just a few days before Christmas with a 2 year old. Business class was busy, but I found us 2 seats together. Pretty soon, the car was PACKED and a few of the boarding passengers would think the seat beside me was empty until they got there and saw it was occupied by a child. I got some dirty looks and one person went to the attendant to see if she would ask me to hold the child on my lap so an adult could sit. She didn't ask me, but I could hear the conversation. It did make me a bit uncomfortable (but not as uncomfortable as having my 37 pound child sit on me for 4 hours!) BTW, coming back I couldn't find us 2 seats together so I was sitting holding my little guy on my lap when the attendant moved the stuff of a single-traveling passenger from the window seat (while he was in the snack car) to an aisle seat so I could have 2 seats together. I didn't ask her to but I didn't say no. I felt bad and offered to buy the guy a drink when he came back, but he wasn't too happy.

Train #8 and #28 do in fact operate as one train between Spokane and Chicago, but because of a limitation of Arrow (the computer reservation system), each "train" must be sold (and priced) separately! The only difference is #8 has 2-3 sleepers and comes from Seattle. and #28 has 1 sleeper and comes from Portland. So #8 has 2-3 times more rooms than #28, so usually the fares are lower on #8!
wink.gif
Thanks for the explanation, traveler. Seems then if two coach tickets were purchased, one could end up at a higher bucket price. Would the reserved seating be assigned to the specific cars in the same manner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back