Buying tickets? (e-ticket v. Quik Trak)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer the old style ticket like others say for a nice memento. Last trip, I used the printed e-ticket. Problem was, the return ticket was on the same sheet. I used it to go to Disneyworld and it got wet when I still had the ticket in my pants pocket. I was worried they couldn't read the code for the return trip. But it did still work. Still, lesson learned, make more then one copy :) I also have a smartphone and my next trip is registered in the app.

Bruce-SSR
Bruce, when you returned to the station you could've asked the station personnel to print you a duplicate. The beauty of the E-Tickets is that you can have them re-printed if you lose/damage it with no hassle.
Thanks, I wasn't aware of it, even if it was totally lost. how would they look it up?

Bruce

I prefer the old style ticket like others say for a nice memento. Last trip, I used the printed e-ticket. Problem was, the return ticket was on the same sheet. I used it to go to Disneyworld and it got wet when I still had the ticket in my pants pocket. I was worried they couldn't read the code for the return trip. But it did still work. Still, lesson learned, make more then one copy :) I also have a smartphone and my next trip is registered in the app.

Bruce-SSR
Bruce, when you returned to the station you could've asked the station personnel to print you a duplicate. The beauty of the E-Tickets is that you can have them re-printed if you lose/damage it with no hassle.
Thanks, I wasn't aware of it, even if it was totally lost. how would they look it up?

Bruce
Even the ancient Arrow system has a fairly competent and working back-end.

A competent (maybe) agent can find your e-ticket (it's just a unique code somewhere in cyberspace). by searching on your name, date or reservation, or credit card number, or whatever.

And reprint a QR code,whatever --.

Your e-ticket is just a probably unique code in cyberspace.

Welcome to the 21 Century.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bruce-SSR

Bruce
I've seen agents at smaller stations have a list of all the passengers expected to board a train out on their counter area. This way when someone walks up with their ID they can just check it against the list and have the reservation number right there. With the reservation number they can print another e-ticket pretty quickly.

I have too many mementos. All my old train tickets are going in the trash. The 50's were the 50's. The 60's likewise.

When I can't remember where I've been, good.

BUT - thanks to all the people that save old timetables.

On Acela 2252 last Sunday the Conductor had a broken scanner. So he was just asking the name of each passenger, bringing up the PNR, verifying other info from it and lifting the ticket. The flexibility of the system used at present is remarkable.

Yup, it "just works" -- give your name, code, e-ticket, Quik-trak code, credit card number, whatever,

The database is working well, some of the people haven't caught up with the times.

I trust the e-ticket. Whatever form (paper, QR code, ) It really does "just work".

Thanks to everyone who responded about what I can do in the future if my paper ticket gets ruined. I think I remember the station agent at Orlando being asked what I can do. I don't remember what he told me. But the ticket was still scanable once I was on the train. I think I had the paper in my wallet and I got soaked on Kali River Rapids, I think.

Bruce-SSR

On Acela 2252 last Sunday the Conductor had a broken scanner. So he was just asking the name of each passenger, bringing up the PNR, verifying other info from it and lifting the ticket. The flexibility of the system used at present is remarkable.
I've been in this position as well on a few trains. I think I was just asked my name on the Adirondack a few weeks back. The same thing is SOP in the sleepers.

Them asking for names is probably quicker and easier for them than trying to scan, and scan again if the first scan didnt work.

The convo is usually something like this.

Conductor: Name?

Me: *gives name*

Conductor: *insert destination here*?

Me: Yep

Conductor: Done. Welcome Aboard.

It does seem nicer than them dealing with the scanners which may or may not work at the time.

The thing with asking for your name out loud is that some passengers are not comfortable stating their name aloud

for other passengers to hear. Of course to get around this, you could always just show your e-ticket to the conductor...

but some conductors seem irritated if they ask for your name and you just shove a piece of paper at them.

As someone who has a non-phonetic last name, I don't enjoy the "say your name" method since for me it invariably

turns into "Say and spell your name" with the "spell" portion frequently repeated. It generally goes much faster when

they are scanning it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back