California Dreaming (and other problems)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russianrail

Train Attendant
I have a dilemma that I think many other people would wish to have and all of talk about e-ticketing has me a little worried.

Before the Sunset LImited Changes were announced, I booked an AGR sleeper trip from Seattle to Chicago via #11 and #422 with an overnight in LAX. Now, with the schedule changes, I am thinking about going to SLO and spending the night there, so I can ride down to San Diego and back to LAX before the late evening departure east on #422. This would guarantee daylight riding along the coast and give another full day of train travel, even if it means giving up a dinner in the PPC. As Special Trips, that would be 2000 miles for 11+ hours of train riding :)

The question - do I change my #11 tickets to SLO or keep them for LAX? I wouldn't want to miss a detour around Tehachapi Loop (if one were to magically happen in mid-June), but if there are other reroutings (buses, etc.), I really need to get to SLO. Any thoughts? Many thanks.

I'd say there's less than a 0.01% chance of a Tehachapi detour in mid-June, so I'd switch your #11 destination to SLO.

Keep in mind the redemption rate for Special Routes is going up to 1,500 points on April 1, so be sure to book the SLO-SAN-LAX portion of your trip before then to save 1,000 points.

Edited to respond to the_traveler, who posted while I was typing: I assume the original poster's plan is to spend the night in SLO and then take the morning Surfliner (#774) south to SAN, turn around, and go back north to LAX (presumably on #785), hence the reference to 2,000 (points) for 11+ hours of train riding (going up to 3,000 as of 4/1).

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say leave your original reservation the way it is. If it were my reservation I wouldn't want AGR looking at it, if for no other reason than that many agents think that overnights are verboten on AGR redemption trips. Plus, if you change your #11 reservation to SEA-SLO, couldn't an agent claim that you are really doing three trips (SEA-SLO, SLO-SAN-LAX, LAX-CHI), each of which must be a separate award?

I say keep it simple. Just order your SLO-SAN-LAX tickets, then tell the sleeping car attendent on the Coast Starlight that you will be alighting in San Luis Obispo, not Los Angeles. No one will care that you're leaving the train early, and I doubt that Amtrak would be able to sell your room SLO-LAX.

Sure that leaves the possibility that the Coast Starlight might be detoured off the coastal route, but like trainman74 I think that unlikely.

Thanks for the helpful pointers. Yes, I am booked on 774 down and 785 back up (and thinking about a TRAXX Restaurant reservation for dinner since I have 3 hours before the Sunset/Eagle departs LAX). I figured that if there are problems, I don't need to ride all the way in SAN. I actually called and changed the CS reservation to SLO without any questions asked.

Many thanks.

I had lunch at TRaXX and I thought it was quite good. It just depends what you are in the mood for.
Traxx is Very Good but Pricey! Philippe(s) is Good and Cheap :wub: !!!( Cash Only, no Credit Cards!!)IINM hell get Dinner on the train so Philippe(s) would be the Way to Go here!!

(of course if you Catch the Starlight you get to hang out in the Traxx Bar while Waiting, but only Coffe/Juice and such are available, No Booze!!! :lol: )With the UpGrade going on and the Business of LAX, a Lounge for First Class Pax is Badly Needed?? Any Plans for One?? :help:

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt they will serve dinner out of LAX on the TE/SL with a very late departure!
blink.gif
(Like the LSL out of CHI!)

I had lunch at TRaXX and I thought it was quite good. It just depends what you are in the mood for.
Traxx is Very Good but Pricey! Philippe(s) is Good and Cheap :wub: !!!( Cash Only, no Credit Cards!!)IINM hell get Dinner on the train so Philippe(s) would be the Way to Go here!!

(of course if you Catch the Starlight you get to hang out in the Traxx Bar while Waiting, but only Coffe/Juice and such are available, No Booze!!! :lol: )With the UpGrade going on and the Business of LAX, a Lounge for First Class Pax is Badly Needed?? Any Plans for One?? :help:
Unfortunately, none that I know of or expect.

and thinking about a TRAXX Restaurant reservation for dinner since I have 3 hours before the Sunset/Eagle departs LAX).
No Philippe's?
As someone from the NE US, I unfortunately don't know this place. Having looked on-line, I may have to change my dinner plans. Thanks.
I'm from the northeast too (RI), but I do know Phillippe's! When at LAX, I don't miss it - only a 2 block walk from Union Station!
biggrin.gif

Back