California Zephyr Consist

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mr. R.

What is the current consist of the California Zephyr these days? I thought I read somewhere that the sleepers were being placed in the rear, true?

What is the current consist of the California Zephyr these days? I thought I read somewhere that the sleepers were being placed in the rear, true?
We rode it in October, and, yes, the sleepers were at the end of the consist. Loved it for several reasons -- no one wandering through our car (we were the last car), and great photo ops out the back window....

Thanks for the info. So that would put the coaches up front, followed by the SSL, diner and then the two sleepers in the back, correct?

Another question.....why move the sleepers to the rear of the train? Less noise from the horn? Is the rear car uncomfortable due to sway or whip?

I was on the #5 on Thursday, the 10th, & the sleepers were on the back!
I was on that train too! There were no Denver sleepers - just two sleepers in the back (Transdorm in the front behind the baggage car).

Another question.....why move the sleepers to the rear of the train? Less noise from the horn? Is the rear car uncomfortable due to sway or whip?
In my experience, the rear car(s) are no more or less comfortable due to sway than any other cars.

Being on the rearmost car has the advantage of being able to view out of the back window. Being on the foremost sleeper you are closer to the dining car - so ask for which ever is most important to you. Also, if you are concerned about sway - as on a cruise ship, the lower you are the less you feel the side to side to side motion. Actually I have never noticed this on the Superliners.

Here's what donctor noted on a Nov 2010 update here:

CALIFORNIA ZEPHYR
— 6 sets

----|---- —— Heritage Baggage
0540|0640 —— Superliner Trans-Dorm/Sleeper
0510|0610 —— Superliner Coach
0511|0611 —— Superliner Coach
0512|0612 —— Superliner Coach
----|---- —— Superliner Sightseer Lounge
----|---- —— Superliner Diner
0531|0631 —— Superliner Sleeper
0532|0632 —— Superliner Sleeper

I got off the westbound #5 early this morning in Salt Lake City. The two sleepers were on the rear. I did stand in the back for a little while, but the window was very dirty. WHat if the Transdorm was to be used for some revenue sleeper passengers? How would the agtendant look after the car? I am continuing Sunday night to Emeryville. A trip report will be forthcoming.

...I did stand in the back for a little while, but the window was very dirty...
Yeah, that was the case on the the #6 coming home in October. Made it more difficult to get good photos...

In the way out on #5, the window was fairly clean and good for viewing/photographing...

Last edited by a moderator:
Are all the Superliner trains out west and CNO/Capital LTD running with thw sleepers on the rear?

I personally prefer this myself! :D

Are all the Superliner trains out west and CNO/Capital LTD running with thw sleepers on the rear?

I personally prefer this myself! :D
I was on the CL a few weeks ago and the sleepers were in the front of the train.

Just an update from my experience the week before last:

Rear to front:

2 sleepers (I was in the rearmost)

Diner

Lounge

(I think) coaches (don't know how many - I didn't go forward beyond the lounge car)

Transition sleeper (I was originally booked there, but got moved, by request, to a regular sleeper).

The CZ has 3 coaches much of the year, but sometimes only 2 in the off-seasons. A few tears ago, when the ciaches were on the rear, there were some runs when the coach attendants locked the rearmost coach and made all psgrs sit in the first two. Presumably to reduce their workload of cleaning the carpets of that third coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

I got off the westbound #5 early this morning in Salt Lake City. The two sleepers were on the rear. I did stand in the back for a little while, but the window was very dirty. WHat if the Transdorm was to be used for some revenue sleeper passengers? How would the agtendant look after the car? I am continuing Sunday night to Emeryville. A trip report will be forthcoming.
In the transdorm on the CZ, the first coach attendant takes care of the paid passengers. I rode in it last fall, and it was great. A farther walk to the lounge and diner, but quiet and well looked after.

edit to apologize for not noticing that this is a reply to an old post. Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back