California Zephyr in winter

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys!

I have never been on Amtrak and need some help and I have greatly enjoyed reading all ya'lls posts so I thought I would post also.

For my best friends birthday I bought tickets to take him from Denver to Salt Lake City round trip the first weekend in Feb. Is this ill advised? Does the train have any problems running the mountains in the winter?

Also, does every Zephyr have a multi windowed observation car? Do I get my seats first and then move to the observation car?

I so want this to be a wonderful trip for him. He LOVES trains and he has never riden this one.

Thanks for your help.

Hi guys!I have never been on Amtrak and need some help and I have greatly enjoyed reading all ya'lls posts so I thought I would post also.

For my best friends birthday I bought tickets to take him from Denver to Salt Lake City round trip the first weekend in Feb. Is this ill advised? Does the train have any problems running the mountains in the winter?

Also, does every Zephyr have a multi windowed observation car? Do I get my seats first and then move to the observation car?

I so want this to be a wonderful trip for him. He LOVES trains and he has never riden this one.

Thanks for your help.
Trains generally make it through the snow better than other forms of transportation, so you shouldn't worry about any issues due to the snow.

Yes the Zephyr has a sightseer lounge car with windows that are almost from the floor and wrap around the ceiling. Yes you board the train, take your seats and wait for the conductor to come around and get your tickets before you can move around the train.

This should be a great trip at this time of the year since the scenery will be snow covered! Have a good 1!

You will have a great trip! Your friend should be very impressed with with your gift. I've take the CZ several times from CHI to SLC and I think the Denver to Salt Lake is the best stage. You should have ten hrs. of daylight to enjoy the sights and the company of your fellow passengers. If it's snowing outside all the better, just think how relaxing it will be not worrying about road conditions and traffic. My experience is the CZ usually gets into SLC on time. Have a blast!

If at all possible, get to the Sightseer Lounge car AS SOON AS YOU CAN at Denver! The best scenery starts soon after departure. During the summer, the Sightseer fills up fast during this stretch! (I'm not sure how it is during the winter.)

IIRC, the Conductor takes your ticket, and you get your seat check, inside Union Station. Thus, you can get to the Sightseer earlier!

On the SLC-Denver return, you may want to go to the Sightseer sometime after Grand Junction - although it will get dark well before you arrive into Denver. Thus, most of the best scenery will be in darkness! :(

Thank you all SO much for the info. I am really excited. I am a Texas girl and I love going to Colorado in the winter and I understand this train goes through a few places that you could never see in a car.

You guys are great!

IIRC, the Conductor takes your ticket, and you get your seat check, inside Union Station. Thus, you can get to the Sightseer earlier!
That is correct, the conductor's almost always take the tickets from boarding passengers inside the station, so once the train arrives, you just walk out to board, get your seat, store any bags, and then are free to move around the train in places where you are allowed to go.

Hi guys!I have never been on Amtrak and need some help and I have greatly enjoyed reading all ya'lls posts so I thought I would post also.

Thanks for your help.
Welcome to the board!

Sounds like a great trip! It's a nice ride, and it would be even prettier in the snow! We just took the Zephyr from Salt Lake City to Glenwood Springs and back last week.

If you would like to read the trip report, it is posted here.

You might want to see if you can upgrade to a roomette or bedroom upon boarding. Be sure to speak with a Conductor about it. If you are in a roomette or bedroom, your meals, desserts, non alcoholic beverages are free. They should charge the lowest price available for the upgrade.

Have fun!

Actually, I read about your trip yesterday. It gave me a lot of good information. It is actually one reason I joined the board. Thanks for taking the time to write about your trip and for replying to my post!

The Zephyr is not particularly crowded in the winter, and the ride is very nice. The picture below is from January 2008 in Byers Canyou, just west of Granby, Colorado.

080110072mod03.jpg

And the station stop at Glenwood Springs.

080110083mod03.jpg

Actually, I read about your trip yesterday. It gave me a lot of good information. It is actually one reason I joined the board. Thanks for taking the time to write about your trip and for replying to my post!
You're welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm pretty much a newbie around here.

There are many, many people on this board with plenty of experience that will be able to answer your questions.

Please feel free to ask any questions you might have.

The members on this board are very nice, and eager to help!

That is why I joined originally, was to get answers.

It's a great way to learn about trains!

Yes!!!

Great pictures! Thank you very much!

This must be and awesome trip in the winters. I have seen pictures of trains stuck in the snow and having to be dug out by plows n such.

I've ridden the CZ in both directions during January, and the trip was outstanding! The winter scenery is exceptional, and the train is less crowded ... giving it, I think, a much better feel. And the great thing about doing a round trip is that you'll see the vast majority of the route in daylight in at least one direction. You'll have a daylight run through the Rockies westbound, and the eastbound run will have some of the Rockies and all of the Utah desert country in daylight ... and the desert is gorgeous, especially if there's snow.

If the train's on time it'll probably get dark eastbound somewhere near the Moffat Tunnel, so the final descent into Denver will be in darkness. But there are a few spots where you'll be able to look down on an amazing panorama of the city lights of the Front Range. I saw that under a huge harvest moon once, and I think it was the single most lovely sight I've ever viewed form an Amtrak train.

I forgot to mention-you should sign up for Amtrak Guest Rewards for both of you on amtrak.com- and add the number(s) by calling Amtrak (not Amtrak Guest Rewards) to your reservation# for this trip. You both be able to earn points towards future trips!

I forgot to mention-you should sign up for Amtrak Guest Rewards for both of you on amtrak.com- and add the number(s) by calling Amtrak (not Amtrak Guest Rewards) to your reservation# for this trip. You both be able to earn points towards future trips!
Thanks! I will. I am already looking into my next trip ; )

Yes, yes, and a super yes! We just recently took the Zephyr from Utah to Denver and back just to see the fall colors and it was a fabulous trip. So relaxing. Yes, get to the domed sightseeing car as quickly as you can coming out of Denver as it starts climbing the mountains right away. But don't worry, the views are almost a spectacular from your own coach seat. Enjoy!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back