California Zephyr SCA's and Conductors--wow

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackshirt Husker

Service Attendant
When I first started riding Amtrak heavily a few years back, I remember thinking that the California Zephyr had the worst attendees of all the long distance routes. Now, after multiple really good trips in a row, I think they might be the best. Paul, Ron, and now Johnny--all outstanding SCA's. I try not to make extra work for attendants in the first place, but these guys never made me feel like the few requests I did have were a burden or an inconvenience. Good sense of humor, friendly, helpful. Johnny in particular really went above and beyond to be helpful, checking on passengers, cheerfully interrupting his own lunch break when people rang the call button (I hate when people do this, by the way--an SCA makes an announcement that they'll be unavailable for 45 minutes, and inevitably someone thinks that "unavailable" means "except for me").

Is it just me, or has the Zephyr dramatically stepped up their customer service the past couple years? I give them highest possible marks.

Improving customer service was the Zephyr PRIIA goal. Shows that Amtrak can actually do things right when they try.

I was pleased with the service in Feb., 2011 from Chicago to California. In reading Amtrak INK this month, featuring awards to employess, I was pleased to see that Mildred Johnson, a server in the dining car, was recognized for excellent service. She was really a doll, and everyone that I had breakfast with thought so, too, and we tipped her well. I prefer to give compliments, not complaints.

I agree that Johnny is very good. He's always friendly and has a good attitude. Boyan is very good, too. I also prefer to give compliments, not complaints.

Ive really enjoyed my trips on the Zephyr in the Past Two Years, the SCAs and Food Serviice Crews seem to have greatly improved their Attitudes and Service! The only problems were the Connection Times in Sacramento, the Ratty Sleepers and the OTP on #6 (Last August when we hit a Heard of Cattle in Nebraska and were down 12 Hours into CHI!!! :eek: (not Amtraks Fault!) And when Paying ( Relax Dave! :giggle: ) the High Bucket Prices! :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I've ridden the Zephyr 3 times this year and each time I had a good SCA. In particular, Dennis Burns was as good as they come. He went out of his way to make sure everyone was happy, and he kept me very informed on a delay on the way into Omaha (which was my stop). He explained the reason for the delay, the freight railroad's estimated time they could get us through, and he apologized as if he genuinely cared about my travel plans. As it turned out... it was only about 20 minutes or so, but it was potentially going to be much longer.

On my return the Conductor named Renee' who was going on duty in Omaha scanned our tickets before the train arrived and was super friendly with the passengers and made sure that everyone knew where they were boarding.

So yes.. I agree. Super impressed with staff. I remember great staff in the diner and lounge too (diner being a bit slow).

Is it just me, or has the Zephyr dramatically stepped up their customer service the past couple years? I give them highest possible marks.
I definitely agree, although I started noticing the improvement more than a couple of years ago. Going back to the late 80's and early 90's, the obs staff on eastbound trips especially reminded me of a submarine crew approaching home port after a long underwater cruise. They just wanted to get home.

On my last trip my car's SCA was fine. Another SCA in the car next to us was shockingly unprofessional. I'm not excaggerting in the slighest, this lady was just plain mean. Shouting at passengers and just generally being rude and obnoxious. Thank goodness she wasn't my SCA because I would not have been able to put up with her unprovoked tantrums. The only other problem I had was that the LSA spoke to us like we were all a bunch of clueless children. I know the Amtrak dining car drill but many people don't and whenever someone made a simple mistake the staff got on the PA to admonish them. I simply stopped visiting the diner since it didn't provide a fun or inviting atmosphere to look forward to. I think the big draw of the CZ remains the view. The staff may be better than before, who am I to say they're not? But they're still not very good compared to other service jobs, or even other trains like the Coast Starlight. At least in my limited experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back