California Zephyr

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GG-1

Engineer
Honored Member
Aloha

I am focusing on the OT performance of the Zepher because my connection to 59 is important. If the connection is missed I may not arrive on Saturday unless I can make Amtrak fly me. At booking I thought 4.5 hours was safe. Also My trip is middle of September, what should I expect from weather?

I am not sure if the schedule is showing the normal route. I am also unclear as when the padding is subtracted from the arrival estimate. for example a few minutes ago the 6 was listed as 4hrs. 32 min. late yet the estimated arrival in chicago was 2 hrs. 25 min. late. is this with the padding subtracted.

Mahalo

I'm making that connection in a couple of weeks, and like you, have been following the progress of #6 closely. The other day it made up a good amount of time (over an hour) between Omaha and Chicago. From what I can see, it looks like the connections should be ok, bearing any unforseen circumstance. I figure it can get to Chicago at 7:40 and I'd still make the connection to #59. At least we're not talking about the Sunset here. NO connection is safe with that one unfortunately.

FWIW I remember riding the CZ eastbound one particular time and we were on time at our last stop before Denver and we arrived in Denver one solid hour early! That is right ,one-solid hour early. For the first time ever, in passing through Denver, I actually got out and walked around the downtown area for a few minutes.

Actually, we lost time beyond there and got to Chicago late anyway, but this just to illustrate how much padding there really is ine some of the schedules.

Well I took the Zephyr about 3 weeks ago and the train is famously late. I would not count on it making up the time and as far as Amtrak flying you forget it. We missed our connection and they put us on a bus with no fuel and the driver had no money. Had to stop and charge and the driver was so tired he did not know where he was going or how fast he was going. The dash lights on the bus were burned out. Also as a bonus the Amtrak people provided us with no food for 16hours until we got into our own home did we eat. Nice accomidations huh. So be prepared for the worst. Sorry

GG-1 said:
I am also unclear as when the padding is subtracted from the arrival estimate. for example a few minutes ago the 6 was listed as 4hrs. 32 min. late yet the estimated arrival in chicago was 2 hrs. 25 min. late. is this with the padding subtracted.
Mahalo
I took the zephyr in June. It looked like I was going to miss the City of New Orleans (59) by 1/2 hour. They made up some lost time with the huge padding between the last 2 stops and arrived 1/2 hour before the scheculed departure. 59 left 1 hour late anyway so I would have made it in either case.

Look at most train scheduled and check the time between the first 2 and last 2 stops in both directions. You will see a big padding at the end.

I have taken the Cal Zephr numerous times from eastern IA to Denver. Heading West it does really good. I have gotten into Denver early several times.

Denver to Chicago is usually an hour late by Denver. Usually they make up time in Nebraska and Iowa. Still, frequenty it is 30 min late into Eastern Iowa (Ottumwa). The crew is usually pretty friendly, and the train is as clean as you might expect. The thing really flies in Nebraska in the night. All in all a good ride. As to my knowlege, it probably would make it. If there are snow storms or freight wrecks, all bets are off.

Good luck................I think we will all be very relieved when you finally make your trip and make your connection. You will be a nervous wreck by the time you reach Chicago.................

I'm making the same connection on the 28th of this month. It doesn't really matter what time I get back to NOL on Saturday...just as long as it's SOMETIME on Saturday. An arrival time of Sunday after 9:00am would not be good for me as far as "staying employed" goes. :)

Aloha NativeSon5859

We seem to have the same goal, don't care what time just that it is on a Saturday, you the 28 and me on the following 18th.

Good luck

Eric :D

GG-1 said:
Aloha
Anyone know why the 6 Zephyr left EMY over 5 hours late on the 13th.

Mahalo
The westbound arrived something like 16 hours late. It was due in the previous evening, but didn't get in until after 6 was supposed to depart.

GG-1 said:
I am focusing on the OT performance of the Zepher because my connection to 59 is important. [...]
I am not sure if the schedule is showing the normal route. I am also unclear as when the padding is subtracted from the arrival estimate. for example a few minutes ago the 6 was listed as 4hrs. 32 min. late yet the estimated arrival in chicago was 2 hrs. 25 min. late. is this with the padding subtracted.
Route: Yes, the Zephyr is operating over its normal Moffat Tunnel route. The last planned construction detour via Wyoming should have been on Friday 30 July.

Arrival time estimates: Yes, the Amtrak web site does seem to account for schedule padding when calculating predicted arrival times. My guess is that this is to protect passengers from missing the train if they see that a train is running late and assume that it will remain as late for the rest of the route.

Padding: In the specific case of the California Zephyr's approach to Chicago, it is scheduled at Naperville (NPV) at 2:09 pm and at Chicago (CHI) at 3:32 pm. But it is only 28 miles from NPV to CHI over the BNSF "racetrack," most of which is triple track with a 70 mi/h speed limit. The train can easily cover this distance in 35 minutes. (Indeed, the outbound schedule allows 34 minutes for CHI-NPV.) BUT if the Zephyr is arriving on a weekday afternoon during the outbount commuter rush hour, it may have to run at 30 mi/h all the way from NPV to CHI behind a local commuter train making all stops. Time may also be required to remove the mail/express cars from the train as it arrives downtown. (This is definitely done on the Chief; I'm not sure if it is standard practice for the Zephyr as well.)

On Sunday I was aboard #6(13Aug) from western Iowa to Chicago. As others have mentioned, the westbound train arrived in California very late causing a late eastbound departure. From at least Denver eastward (when I began calling Julie), it was running 6.5 to 7.0 hours late, but it ran well and lost no more time in 1000 miles across eastern Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, and Illinois. At NPV it was still 7 hours late, but on a Sunday evening with few trains on the racetrack, by CHI it was only 6:07 late, having made up nearly an hour in its final 28 miles (due to the padding).

Your trip: There's really no way to predict what will happen on the day of your particular trip in September. There are so many variables in the 4876 miles and 6 days that trainset is on the rails between departing CHI and returning to CHI. Sunday it was over 6 hours late; tonight it left Denver less than an hour late. All I can say is: good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back