Can you hear the train car door in roomette 10?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

inspiration100

Lead Service Attendant
I got booked in roomette 10 on the empire builder, where I'll take the entire trip. Can you hear the train car door open and close with a roomette door closed in roomette 10? Should I try and change rooms?

Thanks!

Depends on what sleeper you have. Last summer we had 9 and was the last Seattle sleeper. So, there was a lot of foot traffic from the crew and first Seattle sleeper and the door was heard in our room.

When is your trip? You may not be able to change if the trip is at the peek time.

We have had #9 on a previous trip and found the noise to be a little bit of a problem, especially if you are in the 00 sleeper next to the diner. Sometimes the sleepers are configured with the roomettes on the end with the diner car and traffic during eating times is a bit loud outside your door. :( The sliding door can make a bit of a disturbance

At night we seemed to notice a rougher ride being on the end of the car. That is why we always request rooms 3-6 if we can get them. :)

If available at the same money, I would call and change rooms. :unsure:

Also keep in mind that, with 9 and 10, you only have one neighbor.

What's the rule on changing rooms? Will it go to the current price, or will they do it for the price I originally paid?

And yes, I am in car 0830 on the empire builder, so I will probably get some noise from the diner.

Last edited by a moderator:
P.S. Sorry for the double post,

I will be travelling around June 10th, is this a peak time for the Empire Builder? Will she be full? (assuming trains are a "she")

P.S. Sorry for the double post,

I will be travelling around June 10th, is this a peak time for the Empire Builder? Will she be full? (assuming trains are a "she")
Yes, that is at the start of peak times for the EB. So she will be full. The EB in the summer this year was aready sold out in March!

What's the rule on changing rooms? Will it go to the current price, or will they do it for the price I originally paid?

And yes, I am in car 0830 on the empire builder, so I will probably get some noise from the diner.
Unfortunately it depends on the agent that you get. If you get a good agent that knows the correct way to do things, then they should be able to hold the price for you.

Get a new agent, a bad or lazy agent, and you'll see a price jump.

Thanks guys. Do they generally add on a SSL for the peak season? If so, where do they put the extra one?
There is no extra SSL on the Empire Builder. (Wish there was) So it is packed most of the time on the route. The only thing they add on to the Empire Builder is another car between Chicago, and Minneapolis.

I got booked in roomette 10 on the empire builder, where I'll take the entire trip. Can you hear the train car door open and close with a roomette door closed in roomette 10? Should I try and change rooms?

Thanks!
It's not horribly annoying, but it's definitely noticeable. Again, depends on foot traffic.

It doesn't hurt to try and change rooms, but as others have said it'll likely be hard as it's peak season for the Empire Builder.

Thanks!
Roomette 10 in which car? 0731/0831, 0730/0830, or 2730/2830?

Another question, sorry to keep posting them in one thread, when you arrive in Chicago from Seattle, is it possible to go into the first class lounge upon ARRIVAL?

Thanks!

Another question, sorry to keep posting them in one thread, when you arrive in Chicago from Seattle, is it possible to go into the first class lounge upon ARRIVAL?

Thanks!
Yes, but make sure that you hold onto your ticket stubs, as you'll need to show them to the lounge attendant that you were traveling that day in a sleeper on the EB.

Thanks!
You can get in. Just show your ticket.
They won't have a ticket; the conductor will have lifted it out of Seattle.

They will have to show their ticket stub.

Thanks guys.

You guys are dead on. I called and asked about changing room #'s, and they are all booked except the bottom floor. I'd prefer to be closer to everything with a better view and noise than the bottom floor where you trek up the stairs every hour. I guess I'll just have to wedge my way into the sightseeing car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back