Cancelations / mid-Atlantic storm

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of these decisions have been made because they do not have a surplus of equipment. Back in the day when railroads had a surplus of equipment they could run extra trains and adjust to conditions.

When the city of San francisco got stranded back in the 1950's not much could be done then either.

Well somehow the Crescent's equipment got to ATL. It was parked on the steel spur this morning next to the station. Since they cancelled 19 yesterday, I'm assuming that they deadheaded the 20 they had up to ATL since NS has it truncated there any ways?

Last edited by a moderator:
it almost like a shut down of whole north east system. thats means when i leave nol on tuesday is going to be pack train!

But would it be leaving NOL on Tuesday anyway? Not because of the storm but because of the completely unrelated repair work between Atlanta and NOL which has the midweek train canceled for a few weeks. Or is that over this week?

we deadhead last nite to alt. leaving tomorrow

19 crew today will turn their turn and ride the van to nol .

20 will run out of nol on wed................god willing. we will working tomorrow from alt to nyp

it almost like a shut down of whole north east system. thats means when i leave nol on tuesday is going to be pack train!

But would it be leaving NOL on Tuesday anyway? Not because of the storm but because of the completely unrelated repair work between Atlanta and NOL which has the midweek train canceled for a few weeks. Or is that over this week?

Never in recorded history before Amtrak, that is, has there been a rail shutdown of such magnitude. I mean, it looks like even the NEC isn't running and that is pure Amtrak. No one to blame there. It's pitiful. The airlines and buses are more reliable than Amtrak. It's a broken system.

Never in recorded history before Amtrak, that is, has there been a rail shutdown of such magnitude. I mean, it looks like even the NEC isn't running and that is pure Amtrak. No one to blame there. It's pitiful. The airlines and buses are more reliable than Amtrak. It's a broken system.
Never in recorded history has Philadelphia received so much snow in a winter, as of this Wednesday. (We only need a few more inches to break the seasonal record, and we're supposed to get over a foot on top of what we've still got on the ground.)

Are you kidding? It's record breaking snow. It is a very dangerous situation and if canceling trains makes it safer, then so be it. There is no way the airlines are doing any better. I may be wrong, but all the DC area airports were still shut down today.

Have you experienced blizzards before?

Given the severity of the blizzards, it's better to err on the side of caution, rather than have a whole bunch of trains stuck somewhere. CSX doesn't seem to be a able to keep its trains on track during a heavy, snow, so everybody take a deep breath and wait a day or two before traveling. After all, the snow will eventually melt.

Wrong on every level. I travelled from BWI to KIN yesterday on the NEC - while not a single bus or airplane left the area. It took me ober 45 minutes to make the usual 10 minute drive to the station because of the the poor conditions on the roads (and that was with a Chevy Suburban with 4 wheel drive and the knowledge to use it). I'm now on my way back to BWI on train 137, we just left NYP on time. DCA is still closed, and from what I understand BWI is operating one runway only.
And we're looking at another 10 inches of snow starting tomorrow afternoon. The only thing broken are your tired and broken rants against Amtrak.

Eh? A quick and easy check of the status info on the Amtrak website shows that most trains were running on the NEC today between WAS and NYP. Many of them were getting in a little late, but they were running. It is the trains that run south of DC to Richmond and points beyond that were still canceled as of today. The RF&P line between DC and Richmond must be in bad shape.

I live in Northern Virginia and got 30" of snow at my house. What made this storm so bad is that much of the snowfall was heavy wet snow which has brought trees and power lines all over the place. It was no fun shoveling even my relatively short driveway and the front walkway, believe me. For much of the storm the rain-snow line was in the middle of Virginia which means they got a mix of freezing sleet and heavy snow that iced up once the cold front pushed in later on Saturday. Dulles, Reagan National, BWI airports were all closed on Saturday, Dulles and BWI were running limited operations on Sunday, and they all only resumed something approaching normal operations today. Getting to the airport via car for those who live down side streets or on rural roads that may not get plowed until Tuesday (if then) is another matter. People outside the area need to realize that this was a severe snow storm with heavy snowfall.

Actually the NEC has had cancellations but trains have still been running. Here is a positive article about some travelers who were to fly into Reagan National, but were shut out so they went to Newark instead. From there they took Amtrak into DC Sunday night.

Wrong on every level. I travelled from BWI to KIN yesterday on the NEC - while not a single bus or airplane left the area. It took me ober 45 minutes to make the usual 10 minute drive to the station because of the the poor conditions on the roads (and that was with a Chevy Suburban with 4 wheel drive and the knowledge to use it). I'm now on my way back to BWI on train 137, we just left NYP on time. DCA is still closed, and from what I understand BWI is operating one runway only.
And we're looking at another 10 inches of snow starting tomorrow afternoon. The only thing broken are your tired and broken rants against Amtrak.
I don't know how old you are, but I have ridden trains for many many years and never has there been a complete shutdown like this. And I challenge you to find historically where there ever was one even when trains were steam powered. Railroads have always shouldered through no matter what the weather. Only Amtrak routinely shuts down routes and cancels trains for even the slightest reason. You can find individual examples of a single train stranded over the years but nothing like this. And I am not making continuous 'rants' against Amtrak. But this year is particularly pitiful.

a complete shutdown like this.
You keep saying this, despite it being demonstrably false. I rode on the NEC yesterday. I'm on it right now.
Acelafan, that article must be getting around, we're leaving Newark Airport right now, and the train got completely slammed - I don't think that there's a single seat left.

You keep saying this, despite it being demonstrably false. I rode on the NEC yesterday. I'm on it right now.
Acelafan, that article must be getting around, we're leaving Newark Airport right now, and the train got completely slammed - I don't think that there's a single seat left.
Ryan, that is great to hear! Lucky you for being able to travel on the NEC in the snow - I bet the scenery is surreal outside during the daylight hours.

There have been a few positive articles about Amtrak still trudging through on the Northeast Corridor despite the heavy snow. I know CSX had significant issues with derailments and likely frozen switches, etc, but Amtrak certainly can't help that....

Then Ryan, I stand corrected as regards the NEC and I appologize. Actually I am glad to hear the NEC is working. That alone is encouraging.

Then Ryan, I stand corrected as regards the NEC and I appologize. Actually I am glad to hear the NEC is working. That alone is encouraging.
From all that I heard, the storm that hit the Mid Atlantic states was one of the worst that was recorded in modern times. I think we need to give the railroads including CSX and Amtrak a break here. Trees and power lines were downed by the heavy snowfall and wind. In addition, this area is not prepared for snowfall in the area of 2-3 feet. The fact that Amtrak was able to resume service in such a short time was commendable. Trying to run trains through these conditions in this part of the country would have been unsafe, unethical and bordering on the insane. Stranding passengers in the middle of nowhere for days on end is not a way to run a railroad just to try to prove a point. The Seaboard, ACL and PRR I don't think ever faced these conditions in these areas based on weather stats. I love rails as much as anyone and trains can continue in many instances when autos and planes cannot. That said, we all have to appreciate the power that the earth's weather can dish out.

Stephen D Lipman, D.M.D.

I don't know how old you are, but I have ridden trains for many many years and never has there been a complete shutdown like this. And I challenge you to find historically where there ever was one even when trains were steam powered. Railroads have always shouldered through no matter what the weather. Only Amtrak routinely shuts down routes and cancels trains for even the slightest reason. You can find individual examples of a single train stranded over the years but nothing like this. And I am not making continuous 'rants' against Amtrak. But this year is particularly pitiful.
In the steam era you didn't have stuck passengers calling CNN demanding "immediate compensation." I think Amtrak is not a tough as the railroads in the steam era because of the litigious nature of the citizenry today.

Just a side note re: storm impacts to rail traffic. I live within ear shot of the "Camden Line" in Maryland, which of course CSX operates.....there was virtually no traffic on this line during the storm. There was some traffic during the day today, but overall traffic remains very limited. BWI operations seems to be picking up.

Man! You seem to have such deep knowledge about what was happening on the NEC sitting wherever you are! Whatever gives you the impression that NEC was shut down? Yes things were a bit difficult at its south end, but still Amtrak did run reasonable service given the circumstances. Part of the problem was that once people got to their destination they had nowhere to go since local roads took forever to clear.

Things were pretty much running in NJ, including the RiverLINE and Atlantic City Line in South Jersey, which ran throughout the storm, while SEPTA shut down its Regional Rail operation on the other side of the river.

Starting tomorrow DC and Baltimore will probably get another foot or two. This time Northern NJ and New York won't be spared. Philly might get another foot and Northern NJ and NY could get a foot to two feet through Wednesday night.

So how many planes and buses do you suppose made it into Washington DC airports and the city on Saturday, while Amtrak managed to get Regionals there at least once every two hours? There should be some basis behind the rants IMHO.

Still not out of the woods yet...several trains canceled for tomorrow and I bet the same will hold true for Wed/Thurs with more heavy snow in the forecast from Boston to DC. A bright spot - Crescent #19 will operate normally.

February 8, 2010

8:00 pm ET

WASHINGTON – The effects from this weekend’s severe winter weather conditions, resulting in downed trees and power lines on portions CSX freight railroad tracks in Virginia, the Carolinas and across the Mid-Atlantic region, has caused the cancellation of several trains for February 9.

The following operating plan is in effect for Tuesday, February 9:

* Acela Express trains 2103, 2109, 2153, 2117, 2121, 2165, 2119, 2173; 2104, 2160, 2110, 2166, 2170, 2122, 2126 are canceled in their entirety; train 2150 is canceled Washington to New York.

* Northbound Northeast Regionals:

* Trains 110, 130, 184, 84, 186, 196 and 188 are canceled

* * Trains 86, 94 and 66 will originate in Washington

* Southbound Northeast Regionals:

* Trains 151 181, 125, 85, 127, 193 and 187 are canceled

* Trains 95, 93, and 67 will terminate in Washington

* Carolinian trains 79 and 80 will operate only between Raleigh and Charlotte.

* Palmetto trains 89 and 90 (New York and Savannah) are canceled in their entirety.

* Silver Service trains 97 and 98 will operate between Miami and Savannah only. Train 91 will operate between Raleigh and Miami only. Train 92 will operate between Miami and Raleigh only.

* Auto Train trains 52 and 53 (Lorton, VA and Sanford, FL) are canceled.

* Capitol Limited trains 29 and 30 (Washington, D.C. – Chicago) are canceled.

* Cardinal train 50 will operate between Chicago and Huntington only.

* Crescent train 19 will operate normally between New York and New Orleans.

Oh, I don't think I'd be so quick to say airlines are so much better. I was supposed to travel to a meeting over the weekend in Washington DC, and flights started getting cancelled on Friday morning before the storm. Ground transportation for those who did make it into the city before the storm basically shut down Saturday, all Government offices were closed today, and supposedly most of the streets were impassible. I decided to stay home and finish some home projects, which in retrospect looks pretty smart right now. I think sometimes it's better to cancel trains and read a few articles about cancellations than have a media extravaganza discussing trains frozen in the ice, derailed, etc.

I have a seat on the 67 from NYC to Newport News leaving early Friday morning. Anyone think that trip could happen, or should I start thinking of making alternate plans?

I live in Northern Virginia and got 30" of snow at my house. What made this storm so bad is that much of the snowfall was heavy wet snow which has brought trees and power lines all over the place. It was no fun shoveling even my relatively short driveway and the front walkway, believe me. For much of the storm the rain-snow line was in the middle of Virginia which means they got a mix of freezing sleet and heavy snow that iced up once the cold front pushed in later on Saturday. Dulles, Reagan National, BWI airports were all closed on Saturday, Dulles and BWI were running limited operations on Sunday, and they all only resumed something approaching normal operations today. Getting to the airport via car for those who live down side streets or on rural roads that may not get plowed until Tuesday (if then) is another matter. People outside the area need to realize that this was a severe snow storm with heavy snowfall.
I became a snowbird early in the year and happy to be spending the winter in South Georgia. My neighbors in Harpers Ferry reported 30 inches of snow as well and they are pretty much stranded in this hilly community. MARC service on the Brunswick Line was canceled today and will be operating on a "S" schedule on Tuesday. The Federal Government in DC will be closed again on Tuesday. Yes, this was a BAD snowstorm.

Amtrak's ability to run trains is totally dependent on the host railroad's ability to provide safe track to route them on.

Here is an official statement regarding CSX Transportation's issues with the weather:

CSX Service Bulletin: Feb. 8 Winter Weather and Derailment Update

CSX train and yard operations throughout the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic are being affected by the severe winter weather that the area has experienced over the last several days. Another storm system is moving into the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic later this week, bringing more snow and high winds to these areas. Trains are being held throughout the Northeast, including the Baltimore Division where only critical service is being provided due to the heavy accumulations of snow and unsafe conditions.

Customers with traffic moving throughout the Northern, Mid-Atlantic and Appalachian regions should expect delays of at least 24 to 48 hours.

Adding to the difficulty in the Northeast, a train derailment on Saturday morning near Cumberland, Md., has forced the reroute of trains around that area. We expect to have the tracks operational within the next 36 hours. Customers with traffic moving between the Midwest and the Mid-Atlantic states of Maryland and Pennsylvania are advised to expect additional delays throughout the week due to the congestion resulting from these re-routes and the adverse weather conditions.

CSX continues to monitor these situations and will provide further updates.

I personally have had significant issues with what is, to me, an unprecedented amount of snow, sleet and ice, especially for a usually benign state when it comes to winter weather.

Someone please make it stop! :angry:

Amtrak's ability to run trains is totally dependent on the host railroad's ability to provide safe track to route them on.Here is an official statement regarding CSX Transportation's issues with the weather:

CSX Service Bulletin: Feb. 8 Winter Weather and Derailment Update

CSX train and yard operations throughout the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic are being affected by the severe winter weather that the area has experienced over the last several days. Another storm system is moving into the Midwest and Mid-Atlantic later this week, bringing more snow and high winds to these areas. Trains are being held throughout the Northeast, including the Baltimore Division where only critical service is being provided due to the heavy accumulations of snow and unsafe conditions.

Customers with traffic moving throughout the Northern, Mid-Atlantic and Appalachian regions should expect delays of at least 24 to 48 hours.

Adding to the difficulty in the Northeast, a train derailment on Saturday morning near Cumberland, Md., has forced the reroute of trains around that area. We expect to have the tracks operational within the next 36 hours. Customers with traffic moving between the Midwest and the Mid-Atlantic states of Maryland and Pennsylvania are advised to expect additional delays throughout the week due to the congestion resulting from these re-routes and the adverse weather conditions.

CSX continues to monitor these situations and will provide further updates.

I personally have had significant issues with what is, to me, an unprecedented amount of snow, sleet and ice, especially for a usually benign state when it comes to winter weather.

Someone please make it stop! :angry:
Thank you for this update from CSX. I am hoping to go on 30 on 2/11 to Washington, D.C. From this it looks like the line will be open sometime on Wednesday. So if I see the Capitols running on Wednesday, then I have a good chance for Thursday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back