Capitol Limited & Lake Shore Limited Delays Summer/Fall 2014

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
AMTRAK, when I went on a rant about removing the SSL, sent me a message both on here (Read back) and on my Twitter Acct stating that by the 20th of November, the SSL will be reinstated for the line. Now I called BS on this and questioned them on if they were going to make this temporary adjustment into a permanent one due to cost savings of only having one engine.

Their answer:

Crickets.......

So I would HOPE AMTRAK reinstates the SSL. If one was on the CL from CHI to D.C. with only a overcrowded diner car that is substituting for a lounge car (half of it) then it would be a bummer.

HF

I have not posted one of these in 10 days as CL and LSL OTP has been mostly poor, but making the connections. Today was a bad day for the LSLs and the westbound CL, although the trains arrived in time for connections. The NS delays between CHI and Waterloo continue, especially for the westbound trains Anyway, destination results for the Thursday, November 13 departure CL and LSLs. All departed on-time or close to it except for #48 which may have been held at CHI for really late western trains.

CL #29(11/13): arrived CHI 3 hours and 43 minutes late [departed TOL 42 minutes late]
LSL #49(11/13): arrived CHI 2 hours and 52 minutes late [dep WTI 1 hour and 1 minute late]

CL #30(11/13): arrived WAS 1 hour and 27 minutes late. [dep PGH 44 minutes late}
LSL #48(11/13): arrived NYP 3 hours and 28 minutes late. [dep CHI 1 hour and 5 minutes late, dep WTI 3 hours and 48 minutes late]

What happened? After a few weeks in which it looked like Amtrak had finally conquered the Capitol Limited Curse, I see that #29 pulled out of Rockville today over 3 hours late. In other words, the 25-minute sprint from Washington Union Station to Rockville took 3 and a half hours. I feel pity for those on board, especially if there is no SSL.

(I take this train between Pittsburgh and DC at least once a month, and have a particularly fine aerie from my 11th-floor window at the iconic Pennsylvanian, the former western headquarters of the Pennsylvania Railroad that's now apartments; see http://www.thepennsylvanian.com/. Most nights I can hear that telltale rumble as #29 pulls out at 11:59 or very soon thereafter. Not tonight, obviously. For what it's worth, I always dash to the window to observe the consist, which seems generally to consist of a locomotive and six cars; could that be baggage, sleeper, cafe, and three coaches?)

I'm certain this has been covered, but you know how unwieldy looking for something in a very long thread can be: I've got a CL trip coming up in two weeks. If there's a considerable delay, is it likely that I have a bus from Pittsburgh or what? I've never had to deal with a train running later than an hour into Pittsburgh (DC bound) before, so this is a possible new experience all around.

What happened? After a few weeks in which it looked like Amtrak had finally conquered the Capitol Limited Curse, I see that #29 pulled out of Rockville today over 3 hours late. In other words, the 25-minute sprint from Washington Union Station to Rockville took 3 and a half hours. I feel pity for those on board, especially if there is no SSL.
According to trainorders, #29(11/16) had a locomotive failure between WAS and Rockville, so Amtrak had to send a replacement. Amtrak is having too many P-42s breakdown en route, but that is another thread.

This was the best day for the westbound CL and LSL into CHI in quite some time with #49 arriving early! Figured I might as well post the OTP results. LSL #48 (11/15) was held for a very late SWC and CZ which in turn were delayed by a freight train breakdown.

CL #29(11/15): arrived CHI 22 minutes late.

LSL #49(11/15): arrived CHI 3 minutes early! [dep NYP 12 minutes late, BUF 1 hour and 3 minutes late]

CL #30(11/15]: arrived WAS 27 minutes late.

LSL #48(11/13): arrived NYP 2 hour and 28 minutes late. [dep CHI 1 hour and 29 minutes late, dep ERI 3 hours and 15 minutes late]

I'm certain this has been covered, but you know how unwieldy looking for something in a very long thread can be: I've got a CL trip coming up in two weeks. If there's a considerable delay, is it likely that I have a bus from Pittsburgh or what? I've never had to deal with a train running later than an hour into Pittsburgh (DC bound) before, so this is a possible new experience all around.
The #30 CL has made the connection at Pittsburgh to the Pennsylvanian every day and has been over 2 hours late into WAS only once so far in November. The worse of the NS meltdown appears to be over. The odds of getting bused from Pittsburgh to DC are small.

The #30 CL has made the connection at Pittsburgh to the Pennsylvanian every day and has been over 2 hours late into WAS only once so far in November. The worse of the NS meltdown appears to be over. The odds of getting bused from Pittsburgh to DC are small.
Well that's good. I'm already grumpy enough on both ends of that trip (the part where I get virtually no sleep so I can leave the house at 4:00 and then dealing with DC Metro weekend "service" or a $45 cab ride), so the less complications the better.

According to trainorders, #29(11/16) had a locomotive failure between WAS and Rockville, so Amtrak had to send a replacement. Amtrak is having too many P-42s breakdown en route, but that is another thread.

This was the best day for the westbound CL and LSL into CHI in quite some time with #49 arriving early! Figured I might as well post the OTP results. LSL #48 (11/15) was held for a very late SWC and CZ which in turn were delayed by a freight train breakdown.

CL #29(11/15): arrived CHI 22 minutes late.

LSL #49(11/15): arrived CHI 3 minutes early! [dep NYP 12 minutes late, BUF 1 hour and 3 minutes late]

CL #30(11/15]: arrived WAS 27 minutes late.

LSL #48(11/13): arrived NYP 2 hour and 28 minutes late. [dep CHI 1 hour and 29 minutes late, dep ERI 3 hours and 15 minutes late]
Thanks, Afigg. The Capitol Limited just slid out of Pittsburgh, nearly 3 hours late. (No, I wasn't waiting up for it - unlike those poor souls who had to catch it to Cleveland or Chicago - but I had my ears pricked for its characteristic low rumble, and went to the window to verify.)

Followup correction from additional posts at trainorders. I should know by now not to pass on information based on posts by Gene Poon without a caveat, especially when he places the blame on Amtrak maintenance. The CL #29(11/16) locomotive struck a deer which did some damage to the underside that caused the 3 hour delay. #29 (11/16) arrived at CHI 3 hours and 43 minutes late, so it did not encounter much additional delay on the trip.

Don't know if the diner or CCC added tenderized venison to the menu.

And what happened to today's 30/17. Half hour late into TOL then 5 hours late to Sandusky and still running 5 hours late into Martinsburg, WV. Accident? Breakdown? or high winds on the Sandusky Bay bridge stopped traffic?

Last edited by a moderator:
And what happened to today's 30/17. Half hour late into TOL then 5 hours late to Sandusky and still running 5 hours late into Martinsburg, WV. Accident? Breakdown? or high winds on the Sandusky Bay bridge stopped traffic?
Snow, high wind, signal failures, timed out crew on freight trains ahead.... you name it... The usual culprits during a big storm event.

As ya'll may know I recently missed my connection from SWC to CL in Chicago. Since I had a destination beyond WAS (TPA), I was given a hotel and put on the next day's CL. People who were going just to WAS were forced to take that nights LSL and then a regional train to DC.

Seems like if one was taking a trip from the west coast to WAS it would be prudent to book to ALX in the event of a misconnect. On a sample date I checked, it was actually a dollar cheaper to ALX and it prevents the LSL reroute.

This doesn't add anything that listmembers don't already know....

But today's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has an article about the CL's abysmal OTP and about Amtrak's complaint to the STB. (Pittsburgh is roughly the halfway point of the CL, between Washington and Chicago; I take it to DC at least monthly.) See http://www.post-gaze...es/201411190012.

Of course, the lawsuit precipitated the Post-Gazette article....it would've been nice to see more media coverage during the months and months of abominable delays. In fact, except for yesterday's weather-related shambles, the CL's performance has perked up a bit recently, though rarely enough to qualify as "on-time" (less than 30 minutes late at terminus) by Amtrak's standard.

(This is cross-posted on the "lawsuit" thread.)

Alright CL watchers! IT has hit the dates that AMTRAK said they would put the SSL back in the CL lineup. Any Verification? Sightings?

With a trip coming next week for me, I want the SSL. Sorry just being honest.

HF

I saw the CL last night on the Chesterton IN webcam. It had 2 P42s, a baggage car, transition sleeper, the SSL and a total of 9 or 10 cars. It was probably well-patronized with additional passengers, taking the long way around to New York points due to the weather-related Lake Shore cancellation.

I checked out the CL again tonight on the Chesterton webcam. Its consist was similar to last night's and this time definitely 10 cars. Hopefully they used a full diner, but I can't tell from the outside (is that possible?). Also, unlike last night, as of right now (about 9:15 P.M. ET), only about 10 minutes late and rolling at 80 mph (per Amtrak's Track-a-Train).

This is a situation where the Pennsy-Cap through cars would have come in handy. Last I checked, that plan had NS approval and was waiting for new Viewliner sleepers... the delay in the Viewliner sleepers has been bad for Amtrak all around.

While the LSL has been cancelled the past few days and CL #30(11/20) arrived at WAS 1 hour and 38 minutes late, #29 had a good run.

CL #29(11/20): arrived CHI 23 minutes early! (who has the confetti?)

This is a situation where the Pennsy-Cap through cars would have come in handy. Last I checked, that plan had NS approval and was waiting for new Viewliner sleepers... the delay in the Viewliner sleepers has been bad for Amtrak all around.
A permanent second sleeper on the Cardinal, and daily service would also help in situations such as this (although it would only really help CHI-NYP passengers).

Frankly, there's so much "low hanging fruit" for improvement in the Chicago-East Coast market that it frustrates me that it hasn't been done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back