Capitol Limited & Lake Shore Limited Delays Summer/Fall 2014

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently on #49 about 30 miles east of Elk Heart, IN. We were running about 2 hours behind schedule due to the track work issues in NYS. Now we are stopped in the Indiana "dead zone" and the conductor just announced we need to wait for a series of east bound freights to go by before we can resume our journey. My guess is based on the last week's track record of delays in this area that we will pull into CHI well over 3 hours late once again and maybe even later, as he said there is very heavy "congestion" up ahead. Arrgh. I hope I make my connection to today's #7

Currently on #49 about 30 miles east of Elk Heart, IN. We were running about 2 hours behind schedule due to the track work issues in NYS. Now we are stopped in the Indiana "dead zone" and the conductor just announced we need to wait for a series of east bound freights to go by before we can resume our journey. My guess is based on the last week's track record of delays in this area that we will pull into CHI well over 3 hours late once again and maybe even later, as he said there is very heavy "congestion" up ahead. Arrgh. I hope I make my connection to today's #7
Odds are in your favor for making the connection, I think. The last time #49 missed #7 in CHI was on October 13th.

20141031_CHI_49_to_7_conn-1.png

Link to data

I hope so. We haven't moved in over 30 minutes and the conductor once again, in a rather frustrated voice, mentioned that we must continue sit here as more freights pass us by going east bound. Looks like the CL was able to sneak into CHI only an hour late today though.

It is looking like it will be very close, as the crew said we should expect to lose another hour after leaving SOB. I might be running from one train to the other!!! When I asked if we would get into CHI before 2:15 the conductor just rolled his eyes and said--maybe.........not a good sign.

After almost an hour and waiting for three freights we are crawling slowly forward...

Last edited by a moderator:
Now stopped again, just east of SOB, and again waiting for more freight traffic to pass us by. No additional time given, but likely another 30-45 minutes, since they need to get clearance to go around freights. My window of opportunity is shrinking here.

I am actually somewhat surprised at the amount of single track in this area, which is one of the reasons why the very slow pace--We crawled along at perhaps 20-25 mph for about 10 minutes after Elkhart. I have not seen any evidence of track work along the stretch between TOL and SOB so far other than one NS truck where a guy was tinkering with a light.

Now stopped again, just east of SOB, and again waiting for more freight traffic to pass by. No additional time given, but likely another 30-45 minutes. My window of opportunity is shrinking here.
Good luck. The pattern in recent days appears to be random on which east or westbound CL/LSL gets through CHI-EKH ok and which do not.

Destination results for the Wednesday, October 29 departure CL and LSLs. All departed on-time unless otherwise noted. Will the delays get better after October 31 if trackwork has wrapped up? Or will the mostly 2-3 hour delays continue through November? Stay tuned.

CL #29(10/29): arrived CHI 1 hour late [departed CLE 40 minutes late]

LSL #49(10/29): dep NYP 1 hour and 17 minutes late, arrived CHI 3 hours and 50 minute late [dep CLE 1 hour and 40 minutes late, dep SOB 4 hours and 7 minutes late, so it made up time between SOB and CHI]

CL #30(10/29): arrived WAS 3 hours and 10 minutes late [dep PGH 2 hours and 26 minutes late]

LSL #48(10/29): arrived NYP 2 hours and 23 minutes late [dep SOB 2 hours and 46 minutes late, so the delays were almost all between CHI and SOB]

I hope I don't see another 2 hours worth of delays AFTER SOB, I won't make it at that rate. We finally are moving again--at 15 mph. A guy in a bicycle just went by us on a side road!!! The conductor says still much "congestion" up ahead, so not looking good.

:-((

Note: apparently NS decided to let us stay behind an extremely slow freight instead of let us go around as we had requested--thus the very slow pace!

I hope I don't see another 2 hours worth of delays AFTER SOB, I won't make it at that rate. We finally are moving again--at 15 mph. A guy in a bicycle just went by us on a side road!!! The conductor says still much "congestion" up ahead, so not looking good.

:-((

Note: apparently NS decided to let us stay behind an extremely slow freight instead of let us go around as we had requested--thus the very slow pace!
Must have gotten around the slow freight train. He made it to CHI in time to take a leisurely stroll around Union Station before going to the waiting room for EB #7. #49(10/30) arrived at CHI at 1:09 PM, a mere 3 hours and 24 minutes late. Only lost 3 minutes between SOB to CHI, which is much better than #48(10/30) which took almost an additional 3 hours last night from CHI (dep 21 minutes late) to SOB (dep 3 hours and 5 minutes late).

At least, all the western LD trains and the CONO look to be arriving in CHI not too late today.

Last October runs. Does it get better in November? Destination results for the Thursday, October 30 departure CL and LSLs.. All departed on-time unless otherwise noted.

CL #29(10/30): arrived CHI 1 hour and 13 minutes late [dep TOL on-time]
LSL #49(10/30): arrived CHI 3 hours and 24 minutes late [dep ALB 5 minutes late, BUF 2 hours and 10 minutes late]

CL #30(10/30): dep CHI 34 minutes late, arrived WAS 1 hour and 57 minutes late [dep TOL 2 hours and 31 minutes late]
LSL #48(10/30): dep CHI 21 minutes late, arrived NYP 2 hours and 48 minutes late [dep SOB 3 hours and 5 minutes late]

While Montana Mike was worried about #49 reaching CHI in time for EB #7, no problem. #7(10/31) departed CHI 4 hours and 10 minutes late at 6:25 PM. Oh well.

I'm considering a trip on 30 out of PGH on Jan. 1. Anybody know if they've been serving breakfast at the regular times or even later times due to the delays? If I get the sleeper with points I will want breakfast. Thanks.

Last October runs. Does it get better in November? Destination results for the Thursday, October 30 departure CL and LSLs.. All departed on-time unless otherwise noted.

CL #29(10/30): arrived CHI 1 hour and 13 minutes late [dep TOL on-time]

LSL #49(10/30): arrived CHI 3 hours and 24 minutes late [dep ALB 5 minutes late, BUF 2 hours and 10 minutes late]

CL #30(10/30): dep CHI 34 minutes late, arrived WAS 1 hour and 57 minutes late [dep TOL 2 hours and 31 minutes late]

LSL #48(10/30): dep CHI 21 minutes late, arrived NYP 2 hours and 48 minutes late [dep SOB 3 hours and 5 minutes late]

While Montana Mike was worried about #49 reaching CHI in time for EB #7, no problem. #7(10/31) departed CHI 4 hours and 10 minutes late at 6:25 PM. Oh well.
Yup--A four hour delay while they hooked up three private cars and replaced an engine-now in MN, just 6 hours behind, with NO toilets operating in the forward sleepers--what an adventure!!!

Today on the 29 the Diner got closed at 8:30 eastern just after SOB. Wish I knew that this wiuld happen as I unfortunately missed breakfast.

Still we were delayed a bit further before CHI to a total of 55 mins so not bad.

Because why not? November 2 was the best day for on-time or close to on-time arrivals for the CL and LSL as a group in a while, although the OTP was obviously helped by gaining an extra hour at 2 AM and being on the weekend. Have to wait and see what happens during the week. All departed on-time unless otherwise noted.

CL #29(11/01): arrived CHI 32 minutes late
LSL #49(11/01): arrived CHI 1 hours and 10 minutes late [departed BYN on-time, SOB 37 minutes late]

CL #30(11/01): dep CHI 22 minutes late, arrived WAS 10 minutes late
LSL #48(11/01): arrived NYP 7 minutes early [never got > 20 minutes late on the trip]

Destination results for the Monday, November 3 departure CL and LSLs. All departed on-time. The OTP is not yet quite back to normal with some runs encountering circa one hour delays between CHI and CLE, but this is much better than the 2-3 hour late arrivals. At this point, I am not planning to post any more of these updates, unless there is a change either to an all on-time day or the return of the NS meltdown.

CL #29(11/03): arrived CHI 1 hour and 3 minutes late [departed TOL 15 minutes late]

LSL #49(11/03): arrived CHI 1 hour and 41 minutes late [departed CLE 45 minutes late]

CL #30(11/03): arrived WAS 20 minutes early! First early arrival into WAS since June 23.
LSL #48(11/03): arrived NYP 1 hour and 31 minutes late. [dep TOL 4 minutes late, CLE 1 hour and 6 minutes late, SYR 2 hours and 6 minutes late so CSX added to the delays].

I have read conflicting information about the temporary change in the consist of the Cap Limited (30) that was done to create another trainset. Amtrak's web site indicates that through 11/18/14, there will be no full diner or sightseer lounge on 30. I found another post elsewhere which indicated that Amtrak backtracked on the change and replaced the SSL. I'll be on 30 on 11/16.

Amtrak stated in a post on their website that this was done to produce an extra set (or two?) of equipment so that the CL could leave Chicago on time during the many weeks of very long delays encountered on the Norfolk Southern tracks in Indiana and Ohio. Perhaps also it is allowing Amtrak to do more renovations on their Superliner Lounges?

I have read conflicting information about the temporary change in the consist of the Cap Limited (30) that was done to create another trainset. Amtrak's web site indicates that through 11/18/14, there will be no full diner or sightseer lounge on 30. I found another post elsewhere which indicated that Amtrak backtracked on the change and replaced the SSL. I'll be on 30 on 11/16.
The reports have some CLs with a diner and sightseer lounge car and others with just the cross country cafe car. With 4 consists, they may be running 1 or 2 with the diner/SSL configuration and the rest without. So far in November has #29 has arrived at Chicago more than 3 hours late twice with the latest being 3 hours and 38 minutes allowing >6 hours to turn the equipment around. It is possible that Amtrak will shift back to 3 consists and the full diner & SSL setup before November 18.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back