CAPITOL LTD

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

varnish

Train Attendant
Hi,

Does anybody knows if CL still uses CCL equipment for a dining car ? Or did it finally get the full dining car allegedly '' on its way'' from BG ?

we're riding 19oct...would like to anticipate either a nice full diner or tolerate the CCL.

Anybody knows of rough trackage segments on this route ?

Thanks

Cheers

Claude

Hi,

Does anybody knows if CL still uses CCL equipment for a dining car ? Or did it finally get the full dining car allegedly '' on its way'' from BG ?

we're riding 19oct...would like to anticipate either a nice full diner or tolerate the CCL.

Anybody knows of rough trackage segments on this route ?

Thanks

Cheers

Claude
CCC, not diner. The diners would likely be on the CL by now had two not burned up earlier this year.

Last I saw/heard, the Capitol Limited is still running with the Cross-Country Cafe (CCC) car, not a standard Superliner dining car. However, the menu is the standard Superliner dining car menu, not some sort of reduced CCC menu.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was on it in May it had the CCC car. I asked this very same question before my trip. However, even though they are CCC cars, it's the same menu/food/service as you would get in the full diner.

I know many disagree, but I actually prefer these cars over the standard dining cars.

Enjoy the trip!

My opinion is that they are just "loud as hell" with no carpet in CCC and everyone talking, it was like 100 decibels of people visiting. I couldn't hear myself think!

We prefer dining in a std dining car as the layout in the CCC is very different.

We had dinner in the CCC car on the Capitol limited this past June. The food was pretty much the same as on most other trains except for the AutoTrain. The dinner on the AT is the best that we have ever had which is probably due to the large dining car crew which has six or eight chefs and about 10 waiters serving the passengers in the two dining cars on it.

When I was on it in May it had the CCC car. I asked this very same question before my trip. However, even though they are CCC cars, it's the same menu/food/service as you would get in the full diner.

I know many disagree, but I actually prefer these cars over the standard dining cars.

Enjoy the trip!
YUCK!

Although, as a combo-lounge-cafe car, I like them. They are just pressed into full-diner service way to often........

Last edited by a moderator:
As has been said... the CCC cars operate on the Capitol as a full diner. The only difference is in the design. The kitchen, staffing, menu, and food prep is all exactly the same from what I understand.

I like the CCC cars.. they look nice and modern. One of the best meals I've had was on the CCC car on the City of New Orleans which actually operates as a CCC car and not a full diner. I've sat in both style tables and really don't see what the fuss is about. I know I'm WAY in the minority though... in face where is a table to hide under? :rolleyes:

As has been said... the CCC cars operate on the Capitol as a full diner. The only difference is in the design. The kitchen, staffing, menu, and food prep is all exactly the same from what I understand.

I like the CCC cars.. they look nice and modern. One of the best meals I've had was on the CCC car on the City of New Orleans which actually operates as a CCC car and not a full diner. I've sat in both style tables and really don't see what the fuss is about. I know I'm WAY in the minority though... in face where is a table to hide under? :rolleyes:

Have you ever been seated at the "sideways facing tables" as a FOUR TOP? No frigging way, it's difficult enough with three! Whenever I make reservation with the Steward, I make sure to politely inform them, please not one of "those" tables. I'll gladly wait another hour or so..... Besides, it makes it hard(er) to socialize, and/or to look out the window......

YUCK!

As a solo diner? Not so bad. THAT I will admit.

I am in the Capitol Limited right now (30) just outside of Rockville, MD. The diner is a CCC. I was seated for dinner and breakfast in a sideways booth, but fortunately there were only 3 to a table and I was not the person in the middle.

I am hearing complaints about rough track, but I had an excellent night's sleep, even the baby in the room next door got quiet or I slept through it.

One surprise was that I got AT&T cell coverage in rural West Virginia, but no Verizon broadband. :wacko:

Admittedlyas I say thing I've never been in a CCC. However based off from what I was they look like decent cars; however the issue is that Amtrak is using them wrong. I would think they would work best as a cafe car replacement on trains which would travel of a single meal time (maybe two). Not a Diner replacement.

peter

I do believe there are a few kitchen differences, namely additional convection ovens and one less dumbwaiter. My understanding is that there's only one cook, though I could be wrong.

My understanding is that there's only one cook, though I could be wrong.
That depends on passenger loads in both the sleepers and the coaches at certain predetermined points prior to the date of departure. An extra waiter can also be added, again depending on passenger loads.

How many dumb waiters do we really need on a train? Can't they just replace them with smart ones?

How many dumb waiters do we really need on a train? Can't they just replace them with smart ones?
Does it really matter when they're all sitting on their a*ses on the "short" side of the CCC?

Just got off the CL, CHI to PGH and then CUM to CHI. Service in the CCC (or Diner/Lounge as Amtrak seems to be calling it now) was fine EB, but extremely slow WB. The strange thing was we had the same crew (if you can call 2 people a crew) both ways. The WB train was sold out; and it seemed that more than the usual percentage of coach passengers chose the dining car. The crew size certainly didn't match the demand.

Food was fine, except WB they were out of steak and chicken by the 7:30 seating. That's a good inventory control strategy if the inventory manager doesn't get penalized for stock outs, but get charged $100 for every steak or chicken that makes it to Chicago.

I was impressed with the smooth ride, at least on the portion of the route that we took.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back