Capitol vs Lake shore

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kingbri1

There is a price difference of $80 for a trip from cle to chi with the Capitol Limited being more expensive and the Lake Shore limited being less. Is there a reason for this? Are the trains different? Myself, my wife and daughter will be traveling coach... then onto to Washington via the Empire..

thanks!

There is a price difference of $80 for a trip from cle to chi with the Capitol Limited being more expensive and the Lake Shore limited being less. Is there a reason for this? Are the trains different? Myself, my wife and daughter will be traveling coach... then onto to Washington via the Empire..

thanks!
The Capitol Limited uses Amtrak's double-decker "Superliner" equipment. The Lake Shore uses single-level equipment with Amfleet II coaches. Most riders prefer the Superliner equipment with it's more spacious cars, larger diner, and much nicer lounge car. However, the coach seating is essentially the same for both the Superliner and the Amfleet II. I personally don't think the marginal advantage of the Superliner-equiped Capitol Limited is worth extra cost for a relatively short trip like Cleveland to Chicago.

The Empire Builder also uses Superliner equipment, and you will enjoy those cars for that much longer trip to Washington.

thanks!
The Capitol Limited uses Amtrak's double-decker "Superliner" equipment. The Lake Shore uses single-level equipment with Amfleet II coaches. Most riders prefer the Superliner equipment with it's more spacious cars, larger diner, and much nicer lounge car. However, the coach seating is essentially the same for both the Superliner and the Amfleet II. I personally don't think the marginal advantage of the Superliner-equiped Capitol Limited is worth extra cost for a relatively short trip like Cleveland to Chicago.

The Empire Builder also uses Superliner equipment, and you will enjoy those cars for that much longer trip to Washington.
Coach seating is just that, "seating". If you really want to maximize your enjoyment of riding a train, head to the lounge car, provided the lounge car is a Superliner lounge car, which is what you will find on the 'Cap Limited. For $80 difference, I'd head to the 'Cap. You will enjoy the view 100X more........

The "lounge" car on the Lake Shore is nothing to write home about, hell, it's not anything to even tweet about, let alone blog about. Just tables with small windows, and ZERO personality.

Coach seating is just that, "seating". If you really want to maximize your enjoyment of riding a train, head to the lounge car, provided the lounge car is a Superliner lounge car, which is what you will find on the 'Cap Limited. For $80 difference, I'd head to the 'Cap. You will enjoy the view 100X more........
Um, the "view" on a train that departs Cleveland at 3 a.m. and arrives Chicago at 8:45 a.m., and crosses northern Ohio and Indiana in the meantime,

is NOT worth an extra $80.

To the Original Poster...my advice is go with the cheaper one...the relatively short CLE-CHI segment is but an appetizer for your much longer/scenic ride on

the Empire Builder...and yes, you'll want to spend time in the Empire Builder's lounge car.

Fantastic.. that is the info that I needed.. I much agree with fairview in that the 3am view will most likely not be the highlight of the trip!.. We are getting 2 roomettes on the Empire so that should be nice. Much cheaper then 1 bedroom.. Thanks again!!!

Um, the "view" on a train that departs Cleveland at 3 a.m. and arrives Chicago at 8:45 a.m., and crosses northern Ohio and Indiana in the meantime,

is NOT worth an extra $80.

To the Original Poster...my advice is go with the cheaper one...the relatively short CLE-CHI segment is but an appetizer for your much longer/scenic ride on

the Empire Builder...and yes, you'll want to spend time in the Empire Builder's lounge car.
Fair point, but they'll still have a few hours of daylight in the Sightseer Lounge car, and that IMHO IS worth the extra $80.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair point, but they'll still have a few hours of daylight in the Sightseer Lounge car, and that IMHO IS worth the extra $80.
No it is not (and that is my opinion). In jest, I would say that, for a train running through northern Indiana, it would be worth an extra $80 to cover up the windows.

If you happen to snag an open table in the single-level lounge car (and depending on when you travel, the Lake Shore may have two, one to/from BOS, and one to/from NYP that is unstaffed), the view out of the tiny windows is all you need to see of Indiana. A nicer lounge car for a couple of hours is not worth $80. Besides, the OP will be on the Empire Builder, will be able to enjoy the Superliner lounge, and actually see something nice out the windows to boot.

To answer the question of why the Capitol Limited would be $80 more, the answer is likely that it is more heavily sold than the Lake Shore on the day in question, thereby bumping up the rates. It's also possible that revenue management may be keeping the short-distance travel on that route at a higher bucket to encourage passengers to take the Lake Shore, which has much higher coach capacity, thereby freeing up the capacity on the Capitol for longer-distance travel.

It should also be noted to the original poster that not ALL of us prefer the Superliner Cars. I would take an Amfleet II over a Superliner any day of the week. I like how the Budd Cars ride, it feels more like a train to me.

The actual seating comfort is the same on a Superliner and Amfleet II. Same seats, Same spacious leg room, Same tray tables, same leg rests, same 2x2 seating. The idea of paying "more" for a few hours in a sightseer lounge is the craziest thing I've ever heard of.. especially when all you see is Indiana. It's not like you can't see out of a single level cafe car, they just don't have the windows on the roof which are mostly good for looking at mountains which are non-existant in Indiana.

For the record.. I've ridden both the Lake Shore and the Capitol.. take whichever one you prefer but I'd go with the cheaper option.

I would also take the LSL for that short stretch - and use the $80 saved on your vacation!
cool.gif

I would also take the LSL for that short stretch - and use the $80 saved on your vacation!
cool.gif
I'm assuming the $80 is for ".....Myself, my wife and daughter will be traveling......" If it was $80 EACH, then I'd agree, and say "no way" save the bones..........

But if the $80 was the total for all three, I'd still say go for it. I am not a fan at all of the AmCans, with their smallish windows, and cramped feelings, but each to their own.

Trog, I must be getting old man, 'cause I think northern Indiana is very "scenic" in a weird kind of post-industrialism sort of way.....

the price is indeed for the 3 of us. I'll go with the LSL just for the savings. I havent purchased yet and really have been waiting for the price of a bedroom to come down for the Empire portion of the trip, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I originally was going to wait up until the day before, as I was noticing that pricing seems to come down then, but I'm kinda getting panicky about it right now. 2 Roomettes should be fine we are hoping. this will be our first ride.

cool.gif
I'm assuming the $80 is for ".....Myself, my wife and daughter will be traveling......" If it was $80 EACH, then I'd agree, and say "no way" save the bones..........

But if the $80 was the total for all three, I'd still say go for it. I am not a fan at all of the AmCans, with their smallish windows, and cramped feelings, but each to their own.
Yes, to each his own, but even if it was $80 total, I'll take a few hours of "discomfort" and rather use that $80 to buy

1. Tickets to an amusement park
  2. Tours in the city of your destination
  3. A larger rental car or maybe (depending on the price) 2 days of the rental car
  4. A better hotel
  5. etc...

I have to ride an Amcan for many hours just to reach WAS to get on a Superliner!

I havent purchased yet and really have been waiting for the price of a bedroom to come down for the Empire portion of the trip, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I originally was going to wait up until the day before, as I was noticing that pricing seems to come down then, but I'm kinda getting panicky about it right now. 2 Roomettes should be fine we are hoping. this will be our first ride.
Purchase your tickets ASAP! BUT DO NOT PRINT YOUR TICKETS! As long as you cancel 7 days in advance, you will get a full refund. And most likely, the fare will only rise and the trains may even sell out!
ohmy.gif

I believe the OP was asking a different question; and that most of the responses are beating around the bush. The simple answer is that the difference in price is due to supply and demand ON THE DAY SELECTED, Select a different day and the LSL would be more expensive. LSL vs. CL, superliner vs. single level, Indiana vs. anywhere else are sort of like the old "tastes great, less filling" arguments; it's a personal preference.

It's like someone who is unfamiliar with bicycles wanted to buy a road bike and saw a "Walmart Special" for $59.95 and an Lance Armstron Pro Special for $2999. He just wanted to know if there is something fundamentally inferior about the WS.

Paul had it correct, but as I am looking for as much information as possible, I appreciate all responses. !!

I believe the OP was asking a different question; and that most of the responses are beating around the bush. The simple answer is that the difference in price is due to supply and demand ON THE DAY SELECTED, Select a different day and the LSL would be more expensive. LSL vs. CL, superliner vs. single level, Indiana vs. anywhere else are sort of like the old "tastes great, less filling" arguments; it's a personal preference.
It's like someone who is unfamiliar with bicycles wanted to buy a road bike and saw a "Walmart Special" for $59.95 and an Lance Armstron Pro Special for $2999. He just wanted to know if there is something fundamentally inferior about the WS.

Kingbri1,

Since you are booking sleepers for the Empire Builder, when you get to Chicago make sure that you take full advantage of Chicago's Metropolitan Lounge. These lounges are a nice quiet refuge in the often-bustling train station. They have nice plush chairs, conference rooms, computer terminals, newspapers, TV's, luggage storage, free soft drinks, juices, coffee, tea, and clean safe bathrooms. They also allow you to board your train before the rest of the masses.

It is located on the lower level of Union Station, which is also the track level. If you are standing in front of the Amtrak ticket windows, then the Amtrak waiting area is to your left. When you enter the main Amtrak waiting area through a sliding glass door, just walk forward and slightly to the left. There should be another sliding glass door along with a sign, unless they've changed the entrance in the last few months. Again, just show your tickets and relax.

They'll also give you a card that contains the time that you need to return to the lounge by, in order to board the train and not miss it. If you do leave the lounge, take this card with you as it is also your pass for reentering the lounge. Just wave it at the attendants as you walk in and one will usually look up and acknowledge you and the card. Note the Chicago lounge can be very busy and it sometimes can be hard to get a seat, but you still get the free stuff and priority boarding.

Note: They may make you leave your carry-on bags in the luggage room inside the lounge, if the lounge is very crowded. There is a redcap manning this room who will give you a claim check for your bags, such that you can claim them shortly before you board the train. One nice advantage of this is the fact that you can park your carryon bags here, while you wander around Chicago and do lunch, assuming that your trains arrive on time.

Paul had it correct, but as I am looking for as much information as possible, I appreciate all responses. !!
And you've come to the right place. On just about any controversy, you will get a representative sample of opinion. My two sense worth just for the record:

Sleepers: slight advantage single level viewliners because of more room on the upper deck of roomettes.

Coach: advantage superliner (while riding in Amfleet II's, I've been rained on in my seat during the summer and had difficulty getting between cars in the winter because of North Pole like conditions in the vestibule).

Diners: slight advantage single level, if only for the nostalgia factor.

Lounges: big advantage Superliner sightseer lounge over single level food service car.

So if I had only one trip trip to make ever, especially if in coach, I would opt for CL because of the lounge. But for most people here, that's not the question. For many the choice would be the one that they haven't ridden recently, unless there were a large difference in price.

Personally I'd go with the cheaper option, especially since a lot of the travel is at night and you'll be riding in a Superliner the next day. I think some folks are being harsh about the scenery, but then, I enjoy looking out the windows and seeing places I haven't been or don't see that often, even if it is industrial or what some folks might consider mundane. In fact, dare I say, as much as I enjoyed a lot of scenery on the Empire Builder and it was my first time going to the North West I got bored looking at all the fields. Although, I found all the small towns and stops very interesting.

Will definitely take this advice. I bought the legs of my trip separately so I'll have to claim and then re-check my bags in Chi as well. Have about 5 hours there. Not sure if we are going to try and get out of the station or not. Never been to Chicago before and dont want to get caught and miss a boarding time..

Kingbri1,

Since you are booking sleepers for the Empire Builder, when you get to Chicago make sure that you take full advantage of Chicago's Metropolitan Lounge. These lounges are a nice quiet refuge in the often-bustling train station. They have nice plush chairs, conference rooms, computer terminals, newspapers, TV's, luggage storage, free soft drinks, juices, coffee, tea, and clean safe bathrooms. They also allow you to board your train before the rest of the masses.

It is located on the lower level of Union Station, which is also the track level. If you are standing in front of the Amtrak ticket windows, then the Amtrak waiting area is to your left. When you enter the main Amtrak waiting area through a sliding glass door, just walk forward and slightly to the left. There should be another sliding glass door along with a sign, unless they've changed the entrance in the last few months. Again, just show your tickets and relax.

They'll also give you a card that contains the time that you need to return to the lounge by, in order to board the train and not miss it. If you do leave the lounge, take this card with you as it is also your pass for reentering the lounge. Just wave it at the attendants as you walk in and one will usually look up and acknowledge you and the card. Note the Chicago lounge can be very busy and it sometimes can be hard to get a seat, but you still get the free stuff and priority boarding.

Note: They may make you leave your carry-on bags in the luggage room inside the lounge, if the lounge is very crowded. There is a redcap manning this room who will give you a claim check for your bags, such that you can claim them shortly before you board the train. One nice advantage of this is the fact that you can park your carryon bags here, while you wander around Chicago and do lunch, assuming that your trains arrive on time.

Even though you made 2 reservations, call 1-800-USA-RAIL and have them associated. That way, 2 things will happen:

1. The connection will be guaranteed! If (for some reason) your arriving train is so late that you miss the connecting train (not very likely, but it could happen), the connection responsibility becomes Amtrak's. They may even have to put you up in a hotel (on their dime)! The way it is now, your journey (as far as Amtrak is concerned) is only from CLE to CHI, and ends in CHI, so they have no responsibility!
  2. If the 2 reservations are associated, you can (if you wish) check your bags in CLE right to SEA! You won't have to claim and recheck them in CHI at all. They will be transferred for you. (You possibly may not even have time to claim or recheck them if the train is late. So why be stressed about it?
    huh.gif
    )

All who have mentioned that the day you travel determines which train is cheaper is correct.

Also another consideration is that those who have knee or walking problems can easily sit in the lower level coach seats on the CL and not have to climb stairs. The LSL is not very knee brace friendly :giggle:

Even though you made 2 reservations, call 1-800-USA-RAIL and have them associated. That way, 2 things will happen:

1. The connection will be guaranteed! If (for some reason) your arriving train is so late that you miss the connecting train (not very likely, but it could happen), the connection responsibility becomes Amtrak's. They may even have to put you up in a hotel (on their dime)! The way it is now, your journey (as far as Amtrak is concerned) is only from CLE to CHI, and ends in CHI, so they have no responsibility!
  2. If the 2 reservations are associated, you can (if you wish) check your bags in CLE right to SEA! You won't have to claim and recheck them in CHI at all. They will be transferred for you. (You possibly may not even have time to claim or recheck them if the train is late. So why be stressed about it?
    huh.gif
    )
Reservations don't have to be linked to check baggage through. I recently went from Denver to San Diego on three different reservations, stopping over in Davis and Santa Barbara. We checked the luggage in DEN and picked it up in SAN.

But item number one is good enough reason to take the Traveler's advice.

You don't really need to have them linked to get the guaranteed connection either (according to several CSRs that I spoke to).
You're correct, they don't have to be linked to get the guaranteed connection. However, linking is still a very good idea. Here's why:

1)If a train is late and could potentially miss a connection, Amtrak goes to look to see how many passengers are connecting. The more passengers that are connecting make it more likely that Amtrak may hold the other train or decide to bus everyone to catch up to the other train. So by not linking, you could be causing you and others to be stuck in a hotel that night and potentially even lose your room the next day if rooms are sold out on the next day's train.

2) If a connection is going to be missed, Amtrak often starts working ahead of time to make overnight arrangements and rebooking for the next day, based upon those passengers that are listed as connecting. If they don't know you're connecting, they aren't doing anything for you in advance. That could mean that you get shut out of the sleepers on the next day.

So again, while not required for the guarantee, it's still a good idea to link.

Thanks for the great advice once again! I will make the call and my my 2 reservations linked !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back