cardinal checked baggage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just in time too! Riding the Cardinal westbound in June and I sure am glad I can check my bags (although I guess I could have checked them via the Cap. Ltd. anyways... but still cool!)
And they still may go on the Capitol anyhow if you're headed for DC.
If he's going westbound to DC, it isn't by Amtrak! :)
Technically, Ryan, if you travel from New York to Washington, you aren't going south-bound, but west-bound.

If I'm looking at the schedule right, today's Cardinal (May 11th) should have a baggage car, would be interesting if anyone along the route could confirm that. It's nice to have the Card with check baggage once again, this is long over due. Now I just have to wait for Amtrak to add Indianapolis...hopefully won't have to wait long.

If I'm looking at the schedule right, today's Cardinal (May 11th) should have a baggage car, would be interesting if anyone along the route could confirm that. It's nice to have the Card with check baggage once again, this is long over due. Now I just have to wait for Amtrak to add Indianapolis...hopefully won't have to wait long.
Cannot fully confirm yet. It was supposed to have the baggage car today. Last night, the Card was sitting in CHI with a lone baggage on one of the side tracks. Should have been attached, but I did not see 50 today.

Cannot fully confirm yet. It was supposed to have the baggage car today. Last night, the Card was sitting in CHI with a lone baggage on one of the side tracks. Should have been attached, but I did not see 50 today.
Well it didn't take long to answer my question, here is a video of tonights 50, with it's baggage car. Maybe next will be a full diner, ahhh baby steps.

Well it didn't take long to answer my question, here is a video of tonights 50, with it's baggage car. Maybe next will be a full diner, ahhh baby steps.

Ah, there you go.

I would imagine the next step will be a coach/baggage and Cross-Country Café, if/when the train goes Superliner.

Question: Enjoyed the video of the Card, did notice the baggage car but also noted the two coaches BEHIND the sleepers?? I rode this train last week and I thought the sleeper always was on the tailend except when private varnish or dead head cars were added?? I agree Superliners would be perfect for this route, nothing like a Sightseer Lounge to enjoy the scenery, cafe/lounges really suck in comparison!

Last edited by a moderator:
Question: Enjoyed the video of the Card, did notice the baggage car but also noted the two coaches BEHIND the sleepers?? I rode this train last week and I thought the sleeper always was on the tailend except when private varnish or dead head cars were added??
I believe those are the coaches that go between Chicago and Indianapolis. Hoosier State I believe.

Question: Enjoyed the video of the Card, did notice the baggage car but also noted the two coaches BEHIND the sleepers?? I rode this train last week and I thought the sleeper always was on the tailend except when private varnish or dead head cars were added??
Most likely those two Horizon cars were being deadheaded to Indianapolis for transfer to Beech Grove.

I agree Superliners would be perfect for this route, nothing like a Sightseer Lounge to enjoy the scenery, cafe/lounges really suck in comparison!
I've done this run with a Sightseer Lounge and I can assure you that only such a car actually does the Gorge justice.

Most likely those two Horizon cars were being deadheaded to Indianapolis for transfer to Beech Grove.
You don't think it is the Hoosier State cars?
Based on my experience (riding once and seeing the train a few times a month for the past year), these are neither deadheads, nor Hoosier State cars (though printman2000 is close). The Hoosier State only runs 4 days a week, but its two coaches operate CHI-IND as part of the Cardinal the other 3 days. The two Horizon coaches are operating in revenue service, though they are 'technically' part of the Cardinal.

Based on my experience (riding once and seeing the train a few times a month for the past year), these are neither deadheads, nor Hoosier State cars (though printman2000 is close). The Hoosier State only runs 4 days a week, but its two coaches operate CHI-IND as part of the Cardinal the other 3 days. The two Horizon coaches are operating in revenue service, though they are 'technically' part of the Cardinal.
Did not realize they ran the cars even on non-Hoosier days (which Tuesday looks to be going east).

Amtraks website mistakenly calls the Hoosier State a daily train.... http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServe...8/1237405732511

Did not realize they ran the cars even on non-Hoosier days (which Tuesday looks to be going east).

Amtraks website mistakenly calls the Hoosier State a daily train.... http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServe...8/1237405732511
Why is it mistaken? The cars run daily. Some days (when there is no Cardinal) they run by themselves, some days (when there is a Cardinal) they run attached to the Cardinal's consist. But they always run.

Why is it mistaken? The cars run daily. Some days (when there is no Cardinal) they run by themselves, some days (when there is a Cardinal) they run attached to the Cardinal's consist. But they always run.
The website calls the train "850/851 Hoosier State" 7 days a week, but the printed schedule calls the two Horizon coaches "50/51 Cardinal" 3 days a week. In the end, it doesn't matter because there is service 7 days a week. It's just mistake with the name.

Timetable shows the Hoosier State running Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday going west. Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, Friday going eastbound.

Now, it looks as if the Cardinal fills in on the other days, but the timetable does not show the Hoosier State itself being daily.

Timetable shows the Hoosier State running Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday going west. Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, Friday going eastbound.

Now, it looks as if the Cardinal fills in on the other days, but the timetable does not show the Hoosier State itself being daily.
It certainly does not. The local pax CHI-IND are booked into the two Horizon coaches when the HS doesn't run. They seem to always be Horizons, never Amfleet Is.

The Horizon coaches are added to the Cardinal, only in the summer (around the 1st of May) to handle the summer rush between IND and CHI. They are turned aroound and used for the next days Hoosier State on the days the Cardinal is not running. During the winter the normal Cardinal consist is used (except holidays like Thanksgiving weekend) On days the Hoosier state isn't needed i.e. Cardinal days, the whole train (Power coachs and what ever hospital cars) is taken to Beech Grove after it unloads in IND, and then turned around, for the next time it's needed. Just a side note, during Spring break, the Hoosier State was up to three coaches, the third coach was sometimes amfleet sometimes Horizon.

The Hoosier State coaches were on the back of the Cardinal when I took it on 4-18.
Yeah that's why I said "around" the first of May I wasn't sure exactly when they start adding them. Either way I know they're not on the Cardinal year around.

Just a side note, during Spring break, the Hoosier State was up to three coaches, the third coach was sometimes amfleet sometimes Horizon.
Interesting. Never caught that.

Here is a video from the end of March, Hoosier State with 2 Horizons and 1 Amfleet coach. Looks like nearly all of March it was operating with 3 coaches. It's refreshing to see Amtrak keeping up with demand.

I wonder, if I book IND-CHI on the Cardinal, am I guarenteed the ability to get the food service supposedly offered?7

I just read on the NARP hotline news site that the Cardinal will get checked baggage service starting with the Chicago departure on May 11. The news item noted that Indianapolis will not have checked baggage service immediately. It's part of the Cardinal improvement project.
50 departing CHI 05/11/10

130 — P42DC

1230 — Heritage Baggage

25100 — Amfleet II Coach

25078 — Amfleet II Coach

25088 — Amfleet II Coach

28007 — Amfleet II Diner/Lounge

62048 — Viewliner Sleeper

54559 — Horizon Coach

54539 — Horizon Coach

Status