cardinal checked baggage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikefromCrete

Engineer
I just read on the NARP hotline news site that the Cardinal will get checked baggage service starting with the Chicago departure on May 11. The news item noted that Indianapolis will not have checked baggage service immediately. It's part of the Cardinal improvement project.

It doesn't mention what other cities will get it either. I would think Cincinnati, and maybe Huntington and Charleston would get it also? Charlottesville already gets checked bags because of the Crescent.

It doesn't mention what other cities will get it either. I would think Cincinnati, and maybe Huntington and Charleston would get it also? Charlottesville already gets checked bags because of the Crescent.
Ok, I just answered my own question by going to the website. It looks like Cincinnati, Huntington, Charleston, and Prince even will get checked baggage. Now lets bring daily service!

I wonder where Amtrak dug up the spare baggage cars?
They're all over the place. Beech Grove, Albany, Bear, probably just about every major yard in the country. The question is, which 2-3 did they find that they were able to get roadworthy, and how many rolls of duck tape did they need?

Maybe they just asked the Mythbusters to expand their production line from sailboats to baggage cars! :D :D

(for those that don't know, the Mythbusters built a duct-tape sailboat that worked quite well)

I wonder where Amtrak dug up the spare baggage cars?
I spotted another candidate.

ic2.jpg

According to the new schedule, the baggage car will open in PHL. I guess they couldn't rearrange staff to cover the Cardinal's departure.

Correct, checked baggage will not be available (initially) at the following staffed stations: NYP, NWK, TRE, IND. Note that while TRE is staffed, it does not provide checked baggage for any train. IND is anticipated to come online for checked baggage first once staffing and equipment issues can be worked out, and NYP and NWK don't have any immediate plans from what I know.

Rafi

Is it just me or does it seem really dumb to not be able to check baggage to/from NYP?
It's not just you.

But the hours the Cardinal serves NYP are way outside the hours NYP's baggage is open. Unless/until NYP baggage hours expand, they can't do it.

Is it just me or does it seem really dumb to not be able to check baggage to/from NYP?
It's not just you.

But the hours the Cardinal serves NYP are way outside the hours NYP's baggage is open. Unless/until NYP baggage hours expand, they can't do it.
How about they throw the doors open on the baggage car and hand the luggage off to people. They did that for us in Boston when we rode the stub train from Albany. Then for departure just have someone there to tag it and load it up. Perhaps the Assistant Conductor can do it. They usually do it at intermediate stops.

Really? (No sarcasm intended.) I thought baggage had to be open for the Card's arrival because baggage is handled even later on 66/67. Maybe I'm not getting it.

My understanding is that baggage is a no-go because 79 and 89 leave within the Cardinal's hour, and Amtrak doesn't have a way rearrange staff to cover a third train during that hour.

How about they throw the doors open on the baggage car and hand the luggage off to people. They did that for us in Boston when we rode the stub train from Albany. Then for departure just have someone there to tag it and load it up. Perhaps the Assistant Conductor can do it. They usually do it at intermediate stops.
Actually sounds reasonable, certainly better than no checked baggage at NYP. I'd imagine someone other than the assistant conductor would have to do it, though, because there are probably operating procedures/requirements that prevent the AC from doing this at departure. Regardless, I'm sure the baggage situation would be fixed if Amtrak really wanted to.

It's not just you.

Isn't baggage along the NEC open for service on 66/67? It serves NYP in the middle of the night so I would think NYP baggage would be open at 6 AM and 10 PM. They also have to be open for the Lake Shore.

It's not just you.

Isn't baggage along the NEC open for service on 66/67? It serves NYP in the middle of the night so I would think NYP baggage would be open at 6 AM and 10 PM. They also have to be open for the Lake Shore.
Their posted "checked baggage hours" are 5:15 am to 9:45 pm. Which is earlier than I thought in the morning -- early enough for the 6:45/6:55 am departure -- but not nearly late enough for the 9:45 pm evening arrival.

The Lake Shore is a non-issue: departs 3:45 pm, arrives 6:25 pm.

I'm not sure how baggage is handled on 66 at NYP ... and there's no baggage handled on 67 at NYP according to the timetable.

I just read on the NARP hotline news site that the Cardinal will get checked baggage service starting with the Chicago departure on May 11. The news item noted that Indianapolis will not have checked baggage service immediately. It's part of the Cardinal improvement project.
Bummer. I leave on the cardinal on the 7 of may. I have to go to the station the night before to check my bags to california. But hey one more day of work and my vacation begins. ;) California here I come :cool:

:D :) :p May 22nd 5:45 pm!!! Headed to NO via The New River Gorge!!! But, if I'm goin LAX-CVS-NOL, I should probably check baggage from CHI-NOL, or am I nit-pickin (?)

& YES, I Can Hear That Train Accomin!!!!!

RF

Last edited by a moderator:
:D :) :p May 22nd 5:45 pm!!! Headed to NO via The New River Gorge!!! But, if I'm goin LAX-CVS-NOL, I should probably check baggage from CHI-NOL, or am I nit-pickin (?)& YES, I Can Hear That Train Accomin!!!!!

RF
Man that sounds like a killer trip......enjoy.

I've only checked bags on Amtrak once and after that I'd always want the bags on the train I'm riding, if possible. This goes back away but we departed RVR for Montreal for a ski trip. Checked our skis in RVR on a Silver, changed trains in DC for the Montrealer. The skis stayed on the Silve to NYP. Montrealer had engine difficulties leaving DC and was two hours down. I guess they didn't transfer bags to the Montrealer due to lateness. In any event had to rent skis for two days until they made thier way to us.

Just in time too! Riding the Cardinal westbound in June and I sure am glad I can check my bags (although I guess I could have checked them via the Cap. Ltd. anyways... but still cool!)

Just in time too! Riding the Cardinal westbound in June and I sure am glad I can check my bags (although I guess I could have checked them via the Cap. Ltd. anyways... but still cool!)
And they still may go on the Capitol anyhow if you're headed for DC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back