Cary, NC station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

des1rees

Train Attendant
Hello,

We leave next week for Florida, and I had a question about baggage. We are taking the 91 to Orlando, train leaves at 9:30pm. Cary has the basic station facilities, no check in or anything like that. As first time train riders, can you tell me what the process is? How would we know where to stand on the platform and will we be able to tell which ones are the sleeper cars? What happens to the luggage? We will have two suitcases, and a overnight bag. With 2 small kids in tow, I want to be prepared and any answers would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

D

As for your baggage, I believe that the suitcases will be stored in the back of the coach you are riding in, since there is no checked baggage in Cary. (if you are in coach) If you are in a bedroom, then I assume that you will just take your suitcases in the with you, since I don't think there is any storage areas in the sleeper cars on a viewliner.

As for where to stand, anywhere on the platform behind the yellow line. The sleeping cars are in the front of the train just behind the baggage car. Hopefully this helps a little until someone with more experience can chime in.

Thanks, profwebs, for the reply.

Now the other worry is whether we will be able to go with Hanna coming...

Hello,
We leave next week for Florida, and I had a question about baggage. We are taking the 91 to Orlando, train leaves at 9:30pm. Cary has the basic station facilities, no check in or anything like that. As first time train riders, can you tell me what the process is? How would we know where to stand on the platform and will we be able to tell which ones are the sleeper cars? What happens to the luggage? We will have two suitcases, and a overnight bag. With 2 small kids in tow, I want to be prepared and any answers would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

D
As a first time rider, I (as well as everybody else in this forum) recommend getting to the station about 30 minutes before your departure. Cary's station has two tracks and two platforms - one for the Carolinian and Piedmont trains hosted by Norfolk Southern, and one for the Silver Star hosted by CSX. Your platform will be Platform B for the Silver Star. The train's consist will be: 2 locomotives, baggage car, 2 or 3 sleeper cars, diner, cafe, and 4 coaches. The coach cars are the silver round cars at the end of the train, while the sleepers are immediately behind the baggage car towards the head end. Sometimes, a train will do what's called a double spot, which means the train will stop to pick up the premium sleeping car passengers first, then move down the platform where coach class passengers board. I've only seen this done once, but I thought I would mention it so that in the case that it does happen, you won't be alarmed. Since coach class is at the rear of the train, as the train's arrival time approaches, you may want to move to the last half of the platform so as to be nearest the coach class cars when the train stops, as well as to be at the front of the line of passengers boarding.

When the train stops, the car that drops its stairs will most likely be the one you board on. Sometimes the onboard crew will choose to detrain passengers and board passengers from two different doors, so listen to the directions from the crew. You will board with your baggage, and you place it over your seat in the overhead bins. Sometimes, passengers choose to place their luggage in an area in the rear of the car, but I always like having my baggage overhead so I can watch it and be able to access it if needed.

It's a relatively foolproof process, but ask more questions if you have them.

Also: if you're awake when 91 stops at Columbia, SC and you see a college student roaming the platform with a scanner, it's more than likely me, so wave. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Also: if you're awake when 91 stops at Columbia, SC and you see a college student roaming the platform with a scanner, it's more than likely me, so wave. ;)
Shouldn't you be some place studying instead of wandering around the train station. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back