Cascades 510 sold out for Winter Olympics next February

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cascadia

OBS Chief
I was wondering if the second train to Vancouver BC showed on the reservations site yet, so I put a couple of different dates in for next February, the 2010 Winter Olympics are February 12th to the 28th.

The northbound train that I inquired about is sold out for the dates I tried. The second train doesn't show yet - the one they plan to extend in the evening, to continue the run up into Canada for the Games.

I am not surprised, but there it is. I wonder if travel agents bought the tickets in like cars at a time? There are only 2 Superliner coach cars on that train the way it is now. That's the whole train, 2 coach and one lounge.

Someone said they might have the Talgo train back on that run in the fall - but it's been Superliners for more than 2 years, and was only supposed to be for a few months initially. Don't know if that would add capacity. I'm sure it would sell out in 2 seconds anyway and the second train too when it goes into the system. Dang! I bet the evening train is sold out from Seattle to Bellingham already too.

I don't particularly need to go to the Olympics, but I do go to Vancouver regularly to see my boyfriend. It's going to be interesting for everyone here! Bet we will have a lot of visitors here in Bellingham!

Has anyone here lived in a city where they were holding the Olympics, or a similar event such as the World's Fair?

Last edited by a moderator:
They could probably sell out a train with a half-dozen Superliner coaches. That would be a nice train to see--

P42

P42

Coach bag

Coach

Coach

SSL

Coach bag

Coach

Coach

I'll see if I can get some info from the Cascades manager. I'm sure he'll know what trains and/or if there will be additional coach cars on during the Olympics.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Amtrak add one car to the train as we get closer. But I rather doubt that they'll add more than that for the simple fact that Canadian Customes probably won't allow that, as they'll have to clear still more people and spend more time and money doing so.

Has anyone here lived in a city where they were holding the Olympics, or a similar event such as the World's Fair?
I lived in upstate NY in 1980 during the Winter Games in Lake Placid. Although I did not live "in town", I lived an easy 1.5 hour drive away, so I went up twice during the games.

There were two things I remember about the games. One was the transportation. (If you don't know the area, Lake Placid is down a 2 lane mountainous road and there is not much parking in town. So they bused people in from parking lots about 20-30 minutes out.) The first time I went was during the 1st weekend - when they had MAJOR transportation problems! I remember waiting for HOURS to get a bus - both to the event and from the event! :eek: (And the event was ski jumping, so the waiting was not exactly warm!) The 2nd time was after they resolved the problems. The buses were actually waiting before the car got parked! :cool:

The second thing I remember was when I went to the ticket office (during the Games), I could have bought easily tickets for the Bronze Metal hockey game! And I think because the tickets for all events were not selling as expected, I even think it was discounted! (If you don't remember, that was the US vs USSR game - "The Miracle on Ice"!) If I only knew then what I know now! :rolleyes:

I was able to get some more information

First, the evening train is not currently in inventory. So there have been no reservations taken or ticket sales for the continuation of train 516 BEL-VAN.

Second, the current inventory apparently only reflects the number of seats available on superliner equipment. The Talgo train sets actually have around 100 more seats.

It is expected that all Talgo train sets will be back in service before the Olympics begin.

They could probably sell out a train with a half-dozen Superliner coaches. That would be a nice train to see--
P42

P42

Coach bag

Coach

Coach

SSL

Coach bag

Coach

Coach
Oooo that would be cool. I have been thinking how odd the little train I ride is, one engine, one coach, one lounge, one coach.

Is there any other train in the system that is so short?

I was able to get some more information
First, the evening train is not currently in inventory. So there have been no reservations taken or ticket sales for the continuation of train 516 BEL-VAN.

Second, the current inventory apparently only reflects the number of seats available on superliner equipment. The Talgo train sets actually have around 100 more seats.

It is expected that all Talgo train sets will be back in service before the Olympics begin.
I wonder if I will be able to be vigilant enough to snag any of those seats when they pop up. Maybe my ticket-agent buddy can give me a heads up!

I am spoiled on the Superliners and not really looking forward to the return of the Talgos, but oh well, I should just be grateful that we had this trainset for so long.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Amtrak add one car to the train as we get closer. But I rather doubt that they'll add more than that for the simple fact that Canadian Customes probably won't allow that, as they'll have to clear still more people and spend more time and money doing so.
The clearance process on arrival in Vancouver is very time consuming as it is, and will probably be even more so when they operate under heightened security for the Olympics.

Or we can hope they have heightened security, I know my Canadian boyfriend is concerned about this, he has worked in government for years and feels that in general things are lax security wise and that there isn't a lot of will to do much about it. It worries him that this Games might be seen as an easy target due to the Canadian attitude that "nothing can happen here".

I expect there may a few additional passenger trains running to Vancouver from Seattle or Portland during the Olympics.
There will be the continuation of the evening train that stays in Bellingham overnight, for sure. I just hope they keep that as the regular schedule after the Olympics are over - that's what everyone wants, but it has to get straightened out with Canadian Customs and Immigration.

At least they unbent enough to accomodate it during the Games.

I expect there may a few additional passenger trains running to Vancouver from Seattle or Portland during the Olympics.
There will be the continuation of the evening train that stays in Bellingham overnight, for sure. I just hope they keep that as the regular schedule after the Olympics are over - that's what everyone wants, but it has to get straightened out with Canadian Customs and Immigration.

At least they unbent enough to accomodate it during the Games.
What is Canadian Customs problem with doing their job?

I am not surprised, but there it is. I wonder if travel agents bought the tickets in like cars at a time? There are only 2 Superliner coach cars on that train the way it is now. That's the whole train, 2 coach and one lounge.

When I rode the 517 last year it was less than half full. The Superliner cars were pretty ragged with broken seat backs and non working toilets. I had booked it because I wanted to experience the Talgo train but of course it was not in service. I could have just taken an earlier Amtrak bus which is faster but not as scenic, but by the time I realized that the buses were sold out. The track out of Canada on this route is terrible which accounts for the slow schedule. After you enter the US it is smooth going. I did not like arriving in Seattle at such a late hour. They need multiple trains on this route.

The track out of Canada on this route is terrible which accounts for the slow schedule. After you enter the US it is smooth going.
Ribbon rail was layed this year from the USA/Canada border north through Whiterock and beyond.

BTW, the slow schedule through this stretch (20MPH) was/is because of the town of Whiterock, not the track.
I've seen people there standing only inches from the train. They act like the train can stop on a dime or are just oblivious to the danger. You'll usually see a good number of people standing there smiling and waving at the train. I think they might be the tourists. The residents don't like AMTRAK very much because the train can't stop there.

More info;

AFAIK, the morning and evening trains will be the only trains going to Vancouver during the Olympics. I was shown the scheduling and it had the two trains and four bus departures daily. Also the evening train to Vancouver is definitely scheduled to continue running through the month of March. After that it's all up to the Canadian government.

The clearance process on arrival in Vancouver is very time consuming as it is, and will probably be even more so when they operate under heightened security for the Olympics.
Do you have an idea of what the average amount of time it takes to get through customs? I'm trying to get a feel for how much time I need to allow, as I need to schedule a bus to Victoria from the train station.

P42

P42

Coach bag

Coach

Coach

SSL

Coach bag

Coach

Coach
Oooo that would be cool. I have been thinking how odd the little train I ride is, one engine, one coach, one lounge, one coach.

The consist for 27 can be shorter, only rarely. I've seen it on YouTube as:

P42

SSL

Coach Bag

Of course, usually it is:

P42

SSL

Coach Bag

Coach (sometimes)

Sleeper

P42

P42

Coach bag

Coach

Coach

SSL

Coach bag

Coach

Coach

The consist for 27 can be shorter, only rarely. I've seen it on YouTube as:

P42

SSL

Coach Bag

Oh, that was a horrible trip. Those poor people probably still can't eat another Subway sandwich after that trip.

Do you have an idea of what the average amount of time it takes to get through customs? I'm trying to get a feel for how much time I need to allow, as I need to schedule a bus to Victoria from the train station.
Going into Canada at Niagra Falls on the Maple Leaf took about an hour. They went over the train with a fine tooth comb and questioned everyone ***** like. Leaving Canada from Vancouver was less traumatic. It still took at least 30 minutes to board the train. Crossing the border into the US was uneventful. The agents were on the train for just a few minutes. I don't see how they can institute much in the way of rail service on this route unless they improve the station facilities in Vancouver. There is only one track dedicated to the Cascades service. It is fenced off and gated from the rest of the station. All customs work is performed as you board. I assume the do the same in reverse. To leave the train has to negotiate a complicate process of unlocking gates, turning manual switches etc that takes forever. The train is basically imprisoned there. On the other hand the Bus seems to board in front of the station and just leave. No complicated process at all. I assume they do the customs stuff at the border on the Bus.

What is Canadian Customs problem with doing their job?
Well, the word as I've seen it is that the Canadian government wants Amtrak or the U.S. to pay for the additional customs staffing required by a second train. Amtrak and the U.S., of course, don't want to pay that.

If I were Amtrak, I might use this as leverage and agree to pay for the customs presence IF it is done in the manner that European border inspections are (customs staff boards the train at some point before the border and does the inspection while the train is in motion, getting off at some point after the border, therefore doing the inspection without delaying the train.

WHOA WHOA WHOA!! Stop the presses! AlanB asked a question!!

I think this may be the first time since I joined AU that I've seen Alan not know the answer to something!! Alan, your status as Amtrak God in my head just got lowered a notch... :p :lol:

I think it's rather sad that Amtrak, BNSF and Amtrak can't agree on some procedure for the duration of the Olympic games to run more than the normal two Cascades. There should really be 4x daily service with longer trains to handle the crowds. I mean, sheesh, it's only for a few weeks!

On the other hand the Bus seems to board in front of the station and just leave. No complicated process at all. I assume they do the customs stuff at the border on the Bus.
Is there some anti-rail bias at work? I entered Canada at Victoria last July via ferry; and it went so fast that I barely remember it at all!

I remember crossing the border from Germany into France and into Luxenbourg on the train during the mid 90's. All they did was change crews and the new conductors would check everyone's tickets. Hardly a bump on the track.

I remember crossing the border from Germany into France and into Luxenbourg on the train during the mid 90's. All they did was change crews and the new conductors would check everyone's tickets. Hardly a bump on the track.
Well, France and Luxembourg are both part of the Schengen Agreement treaty, which allows cross-border travel with no passport or customs inspections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back