Cell Phone / Dial Up

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MFL

While I'm sure my original reasoning for taking the train from Philadelphia to the West Coast was to slow down and possibly enjoy a few things I have yet to see, I have am sure I'll have some overwhelming desire to contact the office before I reach Chicago.

Has anyone had experience using cell phones (Nextel) or phone cards for dial up?

Mike

I personally haven't used it, but I have seen others use it before. Be forewarned the speed is incredibly slow, I would suggest using it primarily for uploading/downloading e-mail and not too much else. Also plan to do your uploading/downloading when you hit station stops, as most generally have a cell tower, while coverage can be spotty in other places.

Yeah, I agree with B-51. It is imperative on some trains, expecially outwest, that you try and time it when near a big city or station stop. As on some of the routes the signal towers can be few and far between.

I don't know about Nextel, but I have data services with Sprint and have used them aboard the train. Just like Battalion said, service is definitely spotty in the more rural areas. On the Southwest Chief, don't count on any signal past Kansas City for a while...

I have never tried this before but it sounds pretty neat. I have Nextel, but had no idea that I could use the cell phone to dial up while on a train. Where can I find out more info on how to do this or where to start?

It would have been nice to be able to check and send email on my 3-day one way trip on the Sunset last July. Although I don't know how great it wouldv'e worked. The cell phone itself only worked within a few minutes of each major station stop on the route.

talked to our IT person. I think there is a$5 per month service charge from Nextel and the time is taken from your air minutes. I think you need a special connection from Nextel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back