Chance of Normal Trip?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To the OP and others who may not know it yet, there is no such a thing as a "normal" trip when the_traveler is involved. :D
He was extensively inolved with the planning/discovery of the KWD-CBS (nee KCY-CBS) loophole.

I think normal is vastly overrated - ask the GML :rolleyes:
Aloha

I think THE_TRAVELER is a nice guy, How dare you insult him by calling him "normal". :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :eek:

Thank you to all of you who gave responses to my post about normal trips.

After reading all of them, my wife and I have decided we will start more modestly with a trip between Portland and Seattle on the Cascade trains in a month or two. I understand all of you who call train traveling an adventure, but it seems there is too much the probability for adventure in riding the Amtrak long-distance trains at this time.

My wife especially was convinced we should start modestly with the Seattle round-trip after reading the postings. I agree with her that if a train schedule already has built into it several hours of what you call padding, in order to have it arrive on time, and then still arrives three or four hours late, that means the train sits still, not moving for a lot of the time! And it really doesn't matter to us if that gives us an additional meal, it still doesn't seem the type of adventure we could get used to.

So again thank you to everyone. Maybe at some point the train schedules will be more accurate in their stated times and we will reconsider a long-distance trip.

After reading all of them, my wife and I have decided we will start more modestly with a trip between Portland and Seattle on the Cascade trains in a month or two. I understand all of you who call train traveling an adventure, but it seems there is too much the probability for adventure in riding the Amtrak long-distance trains at this time.

My wife especially was convinced we should start modestly with the Seattle round-trip after reading the postings. I agree with her that if a train schedule already has built into it several hours of what you call padding, in order to have it arrive on time, and then still arrives three or four hours late, that means the train sits still, not moving for a lot of the time! And it really doesn't matter to us if that gives us an additional meal, it still doesn't seem the type of adventure we could get used to.

So again thank you to everyone. Maybe at some point the train schedules will be more accurate in their stated times and we will reconsider a long-distance trip.
This makes me very sad.... and actually kinda upset with the original poster. The interstates around me right now are completely stopped due to the snowy conditions (and I live in Tennessee... we're in the South!), I saw on the Weather Channel that Oklahoma City Airports are closed today for all flights.

But yet the OP expects train to travel on time 100% of the time.

It's not fair to read a few cases of delays and then cancel a trip because of it.... in the past 5 years of train travel I have only seen significant delays once, and that was when the Capitol Limited hit a septic truck.

The Empire Builder from Seattle to Chicago is almost ALWAYS on time... but this winter has been extremely severe people! Give em a break for crying out loud.

It's probably a good idea to start small-if you've never been on a train, it is possible you may not enjoy it.

I suspect you will actually enjoy it & want to do it again!

Our first trip involved two 18 hour train rides with an 8 hour layover in between.

We did enjoy it, but I think it would have been better to take a shorter ride first, to get a little taste of the train.

Enjoy your trip!

That's okay...start with a short trip and then go from there. One thing....coach class is fine and all, but getting a sleeper really changes the whole game. It's really great having your own private space. Of course this matters most on an overnight trip - but no matter which class you take for a short trip I am sure you will enjoy it. Train travel is wonderful!

I agree, having a sleeper is a whole different way to go-even if just for the day, we prefer the sleeper. You have your own private space, any meals/non alcoholic beverages are included. There's even a coffee station in each sleeper.

If you decide to take the Coast Starlight instead with the sleeper, you will be able to enjoy the Pacific Parlor Car, which is our favorite. It's less busy, more romantic, & most times they will let you sit two to a booth rather than the usual four.

I think THE_TRAVELER is a nice guy, How dare you insult him by calling him "normal". :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :eek:
Thank you Eric. :)

I resent being called normal! :angry: If I was, even I couldn't stand myself! :lol:
yeah normal is a setting on the dryer.
So is "Heavy Duty" and "Delicate" :)
yeah but you don't call someone delicate or heavy duty.
You might want to duck if you do! :rolleyes:

I resent being called normal! :angry: If I was, even I couldn't stand myself! :lol:
forget it the first comment about the dryer went over you head like a 747.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCy8MpT45gk

Last edited by a moderator:

forget it the first comment about the dryer went over you head like a 747.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCy8MpT45gk
Interesting comment- how do you know I missed the joke? I didn't, I was playing along with you. You apparently didn't catch that.

Many years ago I had a girl friend that I called "Heavy Duty Judy". It was due to the fact that she....nevermind.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

Lot's of comics trying out to replace CO on NBC today! ;) I had a girlfriend named "Delicate Donna" because....Never mind! :lol: :lol: :lol: Also "Normal Norma" because.... Bada-Bing!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

A pretty humorous day on Amtrak Unlimited, must be the weather! :eek: But seriously ladies and germs, take Pizza.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we scared off the OP - not what we wanted to do.

I stated that I am about to take a trip on Amtrak and I hope it turns into an adventure - well let me tell tell you about myself - I am NOT a total wimp - I am a retired city high school teacher - I have no problem walking into an urban classroom and taking charge. BUT my 65th birthday was a few days ago and I am more than 100 pounds over weight - the adventures that I look forward to are NOT stressful - I am looking forward to a GOOD TIME!

I think we scared off the OP - not what we wanted to do.
I stated that I am about to take a trip on Amtrak and I hope it turns into an adventure - well let me tell tell you about myself - I am NOT a total wimp - I am a retired city high school teacher - I have no problem walking into an urban classroom and taking charge. BUT my 65th birthday was a few days ago and I am more than 100 pounds over weight - the adventures that I look forward to are NOT stressful - I am looking forward to a GOOD TIME!
I think we gave the GUEST a realistic view of what travel on an LD is like. It is NOT for everyone. I cringe when I think of how many people I've "turned on" to trying an Amtrak LD trip, and after the trip were either mildly disapointed or down-right hated it.

I've learned to greatly temper my er, "enthusiasm" when a co-worker, or business associate ask me (as many recently did on why I took Amtrak from WAS to CHI to NOL for our annual conference) "Why didn't you fly"....

LD travel on Amtrak is NOT for everyone. Can't tell you how many times I have had to listen to my neighbors (directly next door) tell of their "Terrible" trip on Amtrak's Auto Train. (Trust me, I told these first time train travelers what to expect on board) They had the family room too............

The general public has VERY VERY different expectations of what they consider a "good or enjoyable trip". Being late, is DEFINITELY not one of them. I agree with about 99% of the railfan posters here. ANY time on a train is a GOOD time.

I now tell friends and co-workers when asked, "Well, train travel is not for everyone, but here is why I enjoy it......" and go on to give a snapshot view of what I like, and what they can expect.

I don't diss Amtrak or LD travel. Try to underpromise, and hope that Amtrak over-delivers..........

We also have a neighbor that took an LD round trip at our suggestion at Christmas time.

It turned out great for him, he was already a fan of trains.

I prepped by letting him know what could go wrong, but it all worked out.

I think he will do it again, when he can get the time off from work.

I'm still glad I found this board, because if we had taken our first trip without all the info I found here,

I know hubby would have been very disappointed & would not want to go again.

The only real issue for us is the first leg of the journey, we usually are keyed up & it takes a bit of time to unwind & relax.

I think eventually that will go away once we are really familiar with the routines/stops on the train.

Hi,
Although I live in the UK, I have made several trips, and have many thousands of Amtrak miles behind me..

I would say that the extremes do get played up on this board.. normal service is not cause for comment.

Having said that, The idea that you will board your train, have your meals, and arrive bang on time at your destination is fairly optimistic.

Most of us expect that there will be incidents on any trip, be they airport delays, traffic holdups, or whatever. With Amtrak, the chances of late running are

quite high, the chances that you will feel let down by at least one member of Amtrak's staff are quite high, the chances that your dinning car experience will

not always be 100% as you hoped are quite high, from my own experience.

On the other hand, you will often be seeing scenery that is spectacular.. many trains access views that are not seen from the highway. It is a great

adventure to board a long distance train. It is real travel, not such a pre-packed automated event as much of air travel has become.

At the end of the day, you have a good idea of your own comfort zones. The admitted potential "unknowns" of an Amtrak long distance train trip might throw

too long a shadow for you. For myself, the adventure, the scenery, and sense of excitement as the train pulls out, far outweigh the negatives on Amtrak.

Step outside your comfort zone, and have a big adventure!

Ed :cool:
Well put, Ed! :)

RF

Because of the way the trip was booked/ticketed, all the connections are guaranteed by Amtrak, which means that they promise that they will get me there, I am retired and am NOT in a hurry - I feel that F-ups are opportunities - I just wish that my wife could be with me.
Oh, A Retired Newlywed, :eek: :lol: :cool: !!!

RF

(sorry, couldnt resist)

It's not fair to read a few cases of delays and then cancel a trip because of it.... in the past 5 years of train travel I have only seen significant delays once, and that was when the Capitol Limited hit a septic truck.
<_< Now that was a confidence builder :rolleyes: !

RF :lol:

Hello there
You have a great forum I stumbled on a couple of days ago.

my wife and I are interested in taking a round trip on Amtrak long-distance trains, probably the Empire Builder one way and the Southwest Chief back. We'll probably fly between LA and Portland.

The question is: what are the chances of a normal trip? Close to being on-time and no major things going wrong in the sleeping cars? It seems from reading a lot of the posts the past few days, the Amtrak world of travel is filled with perhaps more adventure and unexpected pleasures (and not-so pleasures) than my wife and I care to experience. We're looking forward to relaxing travel and nice unhurried meals. Some of the readings on this post suggest the odds aren't much better than 50-50.

Am I reading too much into the posts? Or do complaints and shortcomings naturally get more play even on a site like this?
Ditto on not flying from PDX-LAX, take the Cost Starlight! It's one of the best trips in the USA, the Empire Builder is great, as is the California Zephyer! I'd say that you should ride the SWC from CHI-LAX West bound, then take the Coast Starlight to PDX so youd be sure to see the Pacific in the daylight North of LAX! Maybe even ride the California Zephyer instead of the Empire Builder this time of year, the Builder has had a tough winter with the record low temps and snow drifts, just dont use a plane ,use atrain! :)
That's exactly our trip next year, CHI-LAX-SEA-CHI, but we'll be taking the Coast Starlight all the way up from LAX to SEA. The trip will be in late Sept and early Oct, so the weather will probably not be too bad that time of year. We did CHI-SEA-EMY-CHI last year in late September and didn't experience any "issues", other that a CCC on the Zephyr instead of the diner. <_<

Murphy is usually right. Something WILL go wrong. But if you roll with the punches, it's usually a pretty smooth trip.

In the middle of the winter, expect that things will go wrong at the worst possible time, and plan around that. Amtrak will take care of you. OTOH, Mother Nature doesn't care.

Hi,
Although I live in the UK, I have made several trips, and have many thousands of Amtrak miles behind me..

I would say that the extremes do get played up on this board.. normal service is not cause for comment.

Having said that, The idea that you will board your train, have your meals, and arrive bang on time at your destination is fairly optimistic.

Most of us expect that there will be incidents on any trip, be they airport delays, traffic holdups, or whatever. With Amtrak, the chances of late running are

quite high, the chances that you will feel let down by at least one member of Amtrak's staff are quite high, the chances that your dinning car experience will

not always be 100% as you hoped are quite high, from my own experience.

On the other hand, you will often be seeing scenery that is spectacular.. many trains access views that are not seen from the highway. It is a great

adventure to board a long distance train. It is real travel, not such a pre-packed automated event as much of air travel has become.

At the end of the day, you have a good idea of your own comfort zones. The admitted potential "unknowns" of an Amtrak long distance train trip might throw

too long a shadow for you. For myself, the adventure, the scenery, and sense of excitement as the train pulls out, far outweigh the negatives on Amtrak.

Step outside your comfort zone, and have a big adventure!

Ed :cool:
Well said! :cool:

If I set my sights on 100%, I'm bound to be disappointed. If I set my sights at a .333 batting average (which will bring a million dollars on any baseball team) I'm bound to be pleased. :)

<_< Now that was a confidence builder :rolleyes: !

RF :lol:
Ha! That really made me laugh out loud!

My point to the OP is this... train travel is not any more delay prone than any other type of travel. Especally driving... interstates are always backed up around here due to construction and/or accidents. Depending on the routes flying may be a bit more reliable than rail, although I'm really not sure since I haven't flown in many many years.

I guess my point is... if your going to travel across the country by ANY mode of transportation you can't expect everything to go right all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back