check in baggage 28 hours before departure possible?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Davids

Train Attendant
We'll be arriving in Chicago next month via TE and will stay for 1 night in Chicago before continuing to Indy the next day. We will have 4 checked baggages. Can I check in the baggages as soon as I arrive in Chicago for the next day trip to Indy so I don't have to carry them to our hotel? Will amtrak allow check in if more than 24 hours before departure (approximately 28 hours from TE arrival in Chicago to the next day train to Indy).

Thanks

David

Does your originating station offer check baggage service? :huh: If so, you could check 3 of them thru to IND (and maybe all 4) and just have a carry-on to carry to/from the hotel! I do not think you can check baggage more than 24 hours before departure.

I am coming from LAX, yes it does have a baggage service. I am using AGR points to from LAX to CHI then paid fare from CHI to IND, they are 2 different booking IDs. I don't think I can check them through to IND since my first ticket ends in CHI, not IND.

I am coming from LAX, yes it does have a baggage service. I am using AGR points to from LAX to CHI then paid fare from CHI to IND, they are 2 different booking IDs. I don't think I can check them through to IND since my first ticket ends in CHI, not IND.
Just check your bags from LAX-CHI, leave them with Amtrak overnight while in CHI, ( no charge for up to 2 days)then claim them and recheck them to Indianapolis before you leave on the Paid trip!

Since it is an AGR award, unless you want to spend the night in CHI, why not book your award from LAX to IND? :huh: (The cost of the award is the same 2 zone award!) The train runs daily from CHI to IND. (On the days the Cardinal does not operate, there is a train that operates CHI-IND only.) if the TE makes the connection, fine. If not, Amtrak will pay for the hotel in CHI and send you out the next day! This way, you do not have to pay for the hotel or the train to IND!

If you still want to overnight in CHI, just show both ticket to the agent in LAX and it will be no problem.

Thank you so much Jim. I did not know that you can leave the baggage overnight for free up to 2 days. That's perfect, I will do that. Just to clarify, once I arrive in Chicago I just go straight to the hotel then the next day go back to the claim baggage area to retrieve my baggages then recheck them again to Indy right? Thanks again.

Since it is an AGR award, unless you want to spend the night in CHI, why not book your award from LAX to IND? :huh: (The cost of the award is the same 2 zone award!) The train runs daily from CHI to IND. (On the days the Cardinal does not operate, there is a train that operates CHI-IND only.) if the TE makes the connection, fine. If not, Amtrak will pay for the hotel in CHI and send you out the next day! This way, you do not have to pay for the hotel or the train to IND!

If you still want to overnight in CHI, just show both ticket to the agent in LAX and it will be no problem.
The original plan was to go straight to Indy via Chicago with 1 AGR award, but we changed our plan. We want to spend a night in Chicago for sightseeing, that's why I end the AGR in Chicago and buy separate tix to Indy. It would be nice if Amtrak allows overnight stay with 1 redemption so I can save the train tix to Indy.

Another reason I need to stay 1 night in Chicago is I want to avoid bustitution if TE running late into Chicago. I have heard pax are bussed to Indy before Chicago if TE is late,

Maybe check them to IND and let IND hold them till you arrive? Maybe others know if this is doable.

Another factor to consider is there is only checked baggage service to Indy 3 days a week...Cardinal days...So may want to check them straight from LA (it can be done) just to make sure they are there when you arrive and not a day or two later...

How many bags can i check in to the lounge in Chicago? I will have 2 full size suitcases.

I'm not sure if there's a limit, but if so it will be "a reasonable amount". (2 suitcases are within that amount.) Also note they will not hold bags overnight - it is for day check only!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for the suggestions. I think I am gonna claim the baggages 1 day later after I arrive in Chicago and recheck them again to Indy. You guys rock!!!

David

David, as OBS pointed out only 50/51 have checked baggage service. So if your trip will have you on the Hoosier State 850/851 you won't be able to check your bags as that train is only coaches, no baggage car. You can however request luggage assistance from a Red Cap in Chicago.

I would also imagine if you showed the agent tickets from LAX-CHI-IND they'd be happy to check them through for you, regardless of the overnight in Chicago.

David, as OBS pointed out only 50/51 have checked baggage service. So if your trip will have you on the Hoosier State 850/851 you won't be able to check your bags as that train is only coaches, no baggage car. You can however request luggage assistance from a Red Cap in Chicago.

I would also imagine if you showed the agent tickets from LAX-CHI-IND they'd be happy to check them through for you, regardless of the overnight in Chicago.
This is true. I have been able to check luggage through to final destination using multiple reservations in the past, after I showed the agent all of my related tickets.

IND does NOT have baggage service. I think the better option is to check your baggage to CHI, but

only collect your baggage when you arrive at the station to go to IND. I have done that in LAX without

any problem. Amtrak will hold your baggage for one day after arrival.

Hi battalion51, yes, my next day train trip from CHI to IND is on Cardinal, so I can check the baggage. I want to recheck the baggage in CHI again just in case if I need something from the baggage while I am in Chicago. I don't think I need access to my checked baggage while I'm in Chicago, but you never know.

IND does NOT have baggage service. I think the better option is to check your baggage to CHI, but

only collect your baggage when you arrive at the station to go to IND. I have done that in LAX without

any problem. Amtrak will hold your baggage for one day after arrival.
Hi Shanghai, per OBS, Indy does have baggage service on Cardinal days, however, I am doing to do like you and Jim suggested. After you arrived in LAX, did you inform the baggage claim attendant that you were going to pick up the baggage the next day or you just left the station without informing the attendant and came back the next day to pick them up?

Thanks

David

If you don't intend to pick up luggage til next day, I wouldn't waste the time to stand in line to inform them....

And, according to Amtrak website, IND DOES have checked baggage service...

I don't think I need access to my checked baggage while I'm in Chicago, but you never know.
So I'm confused! :wacko: If you do not need access to your checked baggage in Chicago, why not check them thru? :huh: Say you have 4 bags total, why not check 3 LAX to IND and 1 LAX to CHI? Then if you want, you can just have 1 to check CHI to IND!

I don't think I need access to my checked baggage while I'm in Chicago, but you never know.
So I'm confused! :wacko: If you do not need access to your checked baggage in Chicago, why not check them thru? :huh: Say you have 4 bags total, why not check 3 LAX to IND and 1 LAX to CHI? Then if you want, you can just have 1 to check CHI to IND!
Excellent idea!!! I did not think about splitting the baggage to CHI and IND. I guess, I can put stuff that for sure I do not need until I arrive in Indy in 3 bags and stuff I "might" need in Chicago in another bag, that way I only need to recheck 1 bag instead of 4 bags in CHI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back