Checked Baggage on a baggageless connection

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The fam is headed to the west coast from Michigan this summer and would like to take a couple of larger pieces of the checked baggage size. (36x36x36) Since these would most likely not be welcome on the Wolverines, is there any way to UPS or FedEx the baggage to the Chicago baggage room and then check it from there when I arrive at CUS? Has anyone tried anything similar? Maybe I need to UPS/FedEx all the way to the west coast?

There is plenty of storage room on trains. Even though the "official" word is a 2 carry-on limit, I have yet to see that strictly enforced on any train. I would say you'll have no problem getting it to CHI. And then you can use a Red Cap to assist you there!
smile.gif

There is plenty of storage room on trains. Even though the "official" word is a 2 carry-on limit, I have yet to see that strictly enforced on any train. I would say you'll have no problem getting it to CHI. And then you can use a Red Cap to assist you there!
smile.gif
I have.

2 college students . were getting on at Eugene OR this (almost ) past winter and the conductor made these 2 cry! from the chewing he gave them .

(Mind this is our star fleet Coast starlight . that I have never had a good trip on .)

I was there when they were getting there Tix at the live counter In Eugene and the rep there made no peep about bag size ..I was there..

they were FORCED to not take there bags with them . they ended up not going .

so they were check in sized SO what ! they were there Only bags the kids had .. and one had her purse .

the only reason I got on with my large pelican and a box and backpack was the conductor was called to the back to help with a wheel chair ramp Right before I was was to get in line to that car .

and got a slightly more kind CCA in his place .

I was sweating bricks for those 30 seconds .

frankly Iam sick of the issue cause its not consistent !!!

What if you ride from SAC to winter park CO with a big case . and its all good on vacation on the way out .

but some bone head conductor wont let you back on after your Nice trip on the way back .

NOW WHAT !!

sorry to sound so ticked but I know Iam not the only one whom is not thrilled with the baggage issue .'

I don't see why they cant toss bags off and on at the baggage car If you hand them . or have a red cap do it for a fee . its not like its a bottle neck with 2 tonnes going on on ottumwa or

20 bags in winter park . its one or 2 bags per station . where a single person could do it .

the trans dorm shifts the level right? to Mid diaphragm so its accessible by staff from the inside? . why not during down time have them head up front and sort bags for the next few stops .

have them ready for hand off to the Pax as they line up at the car .

Roger I would Fed ex IMHO . I Love Amtrak! but they are a gamble for luggage unless you are just wearing the cloths on your back .

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
Peter, sorry to hear about your experience. In my experience, I have never had an issue with bags of any size or quantity of trains provided that I was fully able to load them on and off the train without any assistance. I find that once assistance is desired, most Amtrak employees will apply the baggage limits fairly strictly. Are you saying that the two college students had large bags, were perfectly and ably willing to load them on the train, and the conductor hassled them? Or were they having trouble maneuvering their bags?

The fam is headed to the west coast from Michigan this summer and would like to take a couple of larger pieces of the checked baggage size. (36x36x36) Since these would most likely not be welcome on the Wolverines, is there any way to UPS or FedEx the baggage to the Chicago baggage room and then check it from there when I arrive at CUS? Has anyone tried anything similar? Maybe I need to UPS/FedEx all the way to the west coast?
Well the official limit for carry on baggage is 28 x 22 x 14. But I'd say if you can carry it yourself, without assistance you should have no problem getting it on the Wolverive. Check it in once you get to Chicago.

I would add that I've seen all manner of large bags transported on the Wolverine specifically without incident, but you're still relying on the conductor's judgement. I have to wonder if the Coast Starlight was different because that train does offer checked baggage, while the Wolverines don't.

I would say you should have no problem as long as you control the bags when you get on the train. :)

Here in CLE I have never seen anyone's baggage measured except on checked bags, when they weigh and measure them through the opening at the counter.

Since we have both Viewliner (LSL) and Superliner (CL) trains here, the only hassle might be getting those bags up the stairway on the Lake Shore. :eek:

On the Cap, you can walk on the lower level and place them on the storage shelves without any assistance. :p

Never seen anyone here have a hassle except on the checked bags where one lady had to reduce the weight in her bag because it went over the limit. :(

I would add that I've seen all manner of large bags transported on the Wolverine specifically without incident, but you're still relying on the conductor's judgement. I have to wonder if the Coast Starlight was different because that train does offer checked baggage, while the Wolverines don't.
I don't think that's the case. Otherwise it would not be fair.

If your traveling from LAX to SEA (both of which offer check baggage service), you would be allowed 5 bags (3 checked and 2 carry on). However if you take the CS (the SAME train) from Burbank Airport, CA to Kelso, WA (where neither offers checked baggage service), you can only have 2 carry ons?
huh.gif
How is that fair?
huh.gif
Even if you went from LAX to Kelso, you still could not check your bags!

To address part of the issue that the_traveler raises, Amtrak doesn't want any "unauthorized" folks getting into the baggage cars, so "fairness" doesn't really enter into the equation. No checked baggage service at one of the endpoints of your trip = no checked baggage for you on that segment. I encountered similar issues when traveling between Saint Cloud, MN & Fort Lauderdale, FL. There was enough layover time in CHI going in both directions that I was able to check and un-check baggage at Chicago. Between Chicago & Saint Cloud, I had to place my bags on the coach racks or overhead. So, "fairness" or not, if one doesn't have checked baggage service at one or both ends of one's trip, then, yeah, no checked baggage service for that passenger.

I also kept my number of bags within the "carry-on" limit, which may have prevented any secondary attention from train crew/staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back