Checked Baggage?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rail Freak

Engineer
Instead of carrying two carry ons & lugging them around, I was thinking of checking 1 bag of clean clothes from TPA to WAS. There I check the bag of dirty clothes back to TPA from WAS?

Question: How frequent is lost baggage a problem?

Instead of carrying two carry ons & lugging them around, I was thinking of checking 1 bag of clean clothes from TPA to WAS. There I check the bag of dirty clothes back to TPA from WAS?Question: How frequent is lost baggage a problem?
I've only checked luggage once, and for a short distance (SPG -> BOS). I didn't a problem. However, from what I've read on these forums, Amtrak has a very good record of getting baggage where it needs to be on time, so I wouldn't worry. However, I'd always recommend that you never check anything that you couldn't do without for a day or two, or anything excessively valuable or necessary. That's not a reflection of Amtrak's bag handling performance, that's just good travel strategy.

In my airline job, I'm always shocked how many people don't bother to keep some basic necessities on them when they fly (clean clothes, etc), who check valuable items (cash, car keys, jewelry, laptops, digital cameras, etc) or who check lifesaving medication. Especially the last one. At least two or three times a month I get someone who tells me they have a serious medical condition and need the medication that's in their bag. I tell them that, as with any customer, we will try and get their bag to them as soon as possible, but that it is a very, very bad idea to check medication that you need to live. Their reply usually is something like, "Well, I didn't think it would get lost..." It's a lot better to be prepared in case the worst happens.

But in short, I think you'll be fine with checking that bag up and bag.

Last edited by a moderator:
However, I'd always recommend that you never check anything that you couldn't do without for a day or two, or anything excessively valuable or necessary. That's not a reflection of Amtrak's bag handling performance, that's just good travel strategy.
Ever since I got stuck in a train that ended up being 24 hours late, I always have a 2nd day of clothes packed in my overnight carry-on.

However, I'd always recommend that you never check anything that you couldn't do without for a day or two, or anything excessively valuable or necessary. That's not a reflection of Amtrak's bag handling performance, that's just good travel strategy.
Ever since I got stuck in a train that ended up being 24 hours late, I always have a 2nd day of clothes packed in my overnight carry-on.
See, my trip requires 5 & 6 days worth each way!

I've never had a problem with baggage on Amtrak. Unlike airlines, most times there may be only 1 train leaving at a time, so the chance of it getting on your train is pretty good. (If you check a bag in DEN to CHI, chances are it is not going to be "accidently" be put on a train to ABQ or DAL.)

I don't know if it's possible to do what you say, but I see a problem. Amtrak will hold unclaimed checked baggage free of charge for (IIRC) 2 days. Beyond that, there is a charge. So (for instance), if you could ship a bag back, but it need to be held for 2 weeks, is it worth (I don't know the charge) $20? :huh:

And even if you could do this, and even if someone else could pick it up for you, they would not be able to retrieve it because they would not have your claim check!

Why not just have 1 bag for dirty clothes - and check that one? :huh:

IIRC, you have hours-long layovers in WAS, CHI, PDX and SAC. It may be possible (I'm not sure) to say check your (dirty clothes) bag from TPA-CHI, retrieve it in CHI and put your dirty clothes in it and then recheck it CHI-PDX, and do the same thing at each layover/connection point. ;) (That's assuming you would have more than a few hours between trains, considering any possible delays.)

This is what I did when I had a quick 4 day weekend trip ALB-DEN a few years back. When I boarded the LSL on Thursday night, I had 2 bags. (In fact, both were carry-on size.) I took one and checked the other. When I got to DEN on Saturday morning, I retrieved my checked bag, and then checked the other bag. When I left on Saturday night, I carried the clean bag, and the dirty bag was checked. I picked up the dirty bag in ALB on Monday morning! ;)

I've never had a problem with baggage on Amtrak. Unlike airlines, most times there may be only 1 train leaving at a time, so the chance of it getting on your train is pretty good. (If you check a bag in DEN to CHI, chances are it is not going to be "accidently" be put on a train to ABQ or DAL.)
I don't know if it's possible to do what you say, but I see a problem. Amtrak will hold unclaimed checked baggage free of charge for (IIRC) 2 days. Beyond that, there is a charge. So (for instance), if you could ship a bag back, but it need to be held for 2 weeks, is it worth (I don't know the charge) $20? :huh:

And even if you could do this, and even if someone else could pick it up for you, they would not be able to retrieve it because they would not have your claim check!

Why not just have 1 bag for dirty clothes - and check that one? :huh:

IIRC, you have hours-long layovers in WAS, CHI, PDX and SAC. It may be possible (I'm not sure) to say check your (dirty clothes) bag from TPA-CHI, retrieve it in CHI and put your dirty clothes in it and then recheck it CHI-PDX, and do the same thing at each layover/connection point. ;) (That's assuming you would have more than a few hours between trains, considering any possible delays.)

This is what I did when I had a quick 4 day weekend trip ALB-DEN a few years back. When I boarded the LSL on Thursday night, I had 2 bags. (In fact, both were carry-on size.) I took one and checked the other. When I got to DEN on Saturday morning, I retrieved my checked bag, and then checked the other bag. When I left on Saturday night, I carried the clean bag, and the dirty bag was checked. I picked up the dirty bag in ALB on Monday morning! ;)
Ck 1bag TPA SEA ----- Travel with carry on for changing --- arrive in Sea and change bags for 5 day trip back to TPA

Wouldn't my bags and me be on the same trains, this is a no stop all train ride, only stop is over night in SEA where the big switch is made

Got a different idea for you.

When we got on the CONO, at the base of the stairs was a luggage rack - put your "checked bag" there. when you switch trains for your return trip, put the dirty clothes bag in the rack.

I guess there is a chance of a bag being stolen - and I love trying to envision the face of the guy opening your bag of dirty underwear B) ;) <_<

Ck 1bag TPA SEA ----- Travel with carry on for changing --- arrive in Sea and change bags for 5 day trip back to TPAWouldn't my bags and me be on the same trains, this is a no stop all train ride, only stop is over night in SEA where the big switch is made
Yes, they will. I only made that suggestion as you will have a few hours at each connection point (except of course SEA). But what you stated could be done - check 1 bag TPA-SEA and then check the dirty bag SEA-TPA.

I'm sorry I mentioned PDX instead of SEA as a connection point. I knew it was a no-stop trip, and I just said PDX. (It must be old age! ;) )

Ck 1bag TPA SEA ----- Travel with carry on for changing --- arrive in Sea and change bags for 5 day trip back to TPAWouldn't my bags and me be on the same trains, this is a no stop all train ride, only stop is over night in SEA where the big switch is made
Yes, they will. I only made that suggestion as you will have a few hours at each connection point (except of course SEA). But what you stated could be done - check 1 bag TPA-SEA and then check the dirty bag SEA-TPA.

I'm sorry I mentioned PDX instead of SEA as a connection point. I knew it was a no-stop trip, and I just said PDX. (It must be old age! ;) )
LOL, THANX!!!

:)

Last summer we checked 12 bags on the Surfliner in Oceanside CA, and didn't have to deal with them again, until we arrived home in Omaha. We transfered to the Coast Starlight in LA and spent the night in Emeryville CA. The next morning we caught the CZ , and collected our bags 2 days later in Omaha. No problems.

We just returned from our western Amtrak trips and checked baggage twice. CLE to SAN going out. Only problem, which was minor, was that we took the Surfliner from Fullerton to San Diego, but our bags went to L.A. first and then down on the next Surfliner. Had to wait about an hour or so for bags to arrive in San Diego. Baggage agent said "we were supposed to take the train from LA" but I arranged tickets from Fullerton to avoid the redundant trip FUL-LAX-FUL.

Coming home we checked our bags in Portland, OR to CLE. We were taking the Cascade to SEA and then EB home and agent was very nice to explain how our bags would be sent PDX to Spokane and then hook up with our SEA to Spokane train and on to Chicago and CLE. When we arrived in CLE two days later, our bags were at the station. Sure was much easier not having to haul the two extra bags on the LSL and Surfliner and the Cascades train. I would recommend it. :rolleyes:

We checked wifey's mobility scooter in NOL to STL- it got a seat on an earlier CHI to STL than we did - we got into STL in the dark and rain - didn't mention the scooter - a day or two later I picked it up. Worked out just fine, partially because all the Amtrak folks seem to have a strong desire to please. :D

I've never checked my luggage, so can't really add much to this discussion. However, I have a related question.

Going to Vancouver B.C. requires taking the EB to Seattle and then taking the Amtrak bus to Vac.

If I check my luggage in Chicago, can I check it all the way through to Vancouver? Or do I have to claim in in Seattle and take it to the bus?

I've never checked my luggage, so can't really add much to this discussion. However, I have a related question.
Going to Vancouver B.C. requires taking the EB to Seattle and then taking the Amtrak bus to Vac.

If I check my luggage in Chicago, can I check it all the way through to Vancouver? Or do I have to claim in in Seattle and take it to the bus?
If the bus connection says "check baggage", then they will transfer it for you. (But check - some do and some don't!)

We're going from Washington, D.C. - Chicago - Portland. My DH insists he's not gonna check his bag (it's a standard-sized, soft-sided airline-approved carry-on) but will pack light and keep it in the roomette with us--use it as a pillow if there's no place on the floor to put it. My question: will we be told by Amtrak personnel to NOT keep our bags in the roomette (mine's the same kind as his)? From everything I've read here, the roomettes are big enough to allow a small carry-on or a tote bag, but no more. I assumed we'd check our main bags & keep a smaller one with us.

Thanks for advice!

We're going from Washington, D.C. - Chicago - Portland. My DH insists he's not gonna check his bag (it's a standard-sized, soft-sided airline-approved carry-on) but will pack light and keep it in the roomette with us--use it as a pillow if there's no place on the floor to put it. My question: will we be told by Amtrak personnel to NOT keep our bags in the roomette (mine's the same kind as his)? From everything I've read here, the roomettes are big enough to allow a small carry-on or a tote bag, but no more. I assumed we'd check our main bags & keep a smaller one with us.
Thanks for advice!
Tell your Designated Hitter to look for a baggege area down stairs! :) :lol: :p

My small suitcase will fit under the seat. Now, when the seat is converted into a bed at night, it might be difficult to access, but it still fits.

Plus, if you have something about the size/shape of a backpack, it will fit in the garment bag/coat hanging area in the roomette.

Thanks for advice!

I did - I knew about that from the many helpful discussions I've read here. But he didn't go for that. Maybe when he sees the size of the roomette, though, he might have second thoughts.... :p

Thanks for advice!

I did - I knew about that from the many helpful discussions I've read here. But he didn't go for that. Maybe when he sees the size of the roomette, though, he might have second thoughts.... :p
Meme,

You won' t be told that you can't keep the bags in your room, but you may get some strange stares from the attendant. And he/she may very well complain vocally when they try to put the beds up and down as the bags will get in the way for that process and it's not like they can just be put in the hall for a few minutes where they'll be in the way of everyone else in the car.

What is he worried about? Theft? Lost bag? Because that very rarely ever happens on Amtrak. One thing that I can promise you is that unless you're getting the upper bunk, he won't be using his bag as a pillow. There wouldn't be enough room between the top of most bags for a human head. If he's on the short side, then the bag might work if it's down at the foot of the bed.

Tell your Designated Hitter to look for a baggage area down stairs!
Yep - I've seen that happen. Someone spends 5 minutes man-handling two large suitcases up the stairs, takes one look at the roomette and then man-handles them right back down the stairs to the storage shelf on the lower level.

Thanks for advice!

Meme,

You won' t be told that you can't keep the bags in your room, but you may get some strange stares from the attendant. And he/she may very well complain vocally when they try to put the beds up and down as the bags will get in the way for that process and it's not like they can just be put in the hall for a few minutes where they'll be in the way of everyone else in the car.

What is he worried about? Theft? Lost bag? Because that very rarely ever happens on Amtrak. One thing that I can promise you is that unless you're getting the upper bunk, he won't be using his bag as a pillow. There wouldn't be enough room between the top of most bags for a human head. If he's on the short side, then the bag might work if it's down at the foot of the bed.
Very specific and persuasive (well, to me anyway! ;) ) Thanks, Alan.

Thanks for advice!
If it is a standard 22" or smaller airline carry-on, you should have no problems finding a spot to stash it in the Roomette at night. Stuffed near the corridor wall at the foot-end of the bed will work. Feet don't need much room. That is what I did last summer in a Superliner Roomette and it was not in the way at all.

I would much rather have that bag in the room than downstairs on the open rack. On my Zephyr trip in January a couple had a suitcase go missing from the lower level common storage area. They found out when they were getting off in Winter Park. A quick search was futile. The train left them with no clothing other than what they were wearing. It is a rare for that to happen, but if you have an alternative, in my opinion it is not worth the chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back