CHI-PHL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ronkstevens

Service Attendant
I was just checking out fares for a trip from Chicago to Philadelphia. I was caught off guard when a fare of $3000 came up. Besides the "normal" LSL, Cardinal, and CL, it offered an option using the following: Empire Builder, Coast Starlight, Sunset Limited, and Crescent.

Since I'm going to be coming into Chicago on the Southwest Chief, I think I'll pass on this itinerary (this time)

Even though Amtrak guarantees the connection from the Southwest Chief to the Cardinal, the SWC has been averaging 2.5 hours late, the same amount of time as the layover. What is the likelihood of actually getting on the Cardinal?

They may have you get off a station or two early and take you by van or bus to catch up with the Cardinal if you're running too late for them to hold the Cardinal.

Wow, I just punched in a random day and that routing came up. Almost 5 days of travel. Now can you do this as an AGR two zone reward?

It's the railfan (or tour the USA) option, I think. I also was offered that option, recently, when pricing a chi - was trip.

I do find it odd that they don't also include a straightforward chi-nol-was possibility without the west coast swing.

So, has anyone complained to Amtrak about this anomaly? If it was the opposite, not being able to book such a wayward trip, a lot of people would be calling Amtrak and saying why can't I do this. :giggle:

We are returning from San Francisco to Florida via the CS & TE-422. We were forced to

stay overnight in Chicago, then take the CL to WAS and the SM to home because the

on-time performance of 422 was such that Amtrak would not allow the same day connection to the CL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back