Chicago metro lounge: kids area to trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will be traveling through Chicago with a 4hr layover at union station with a toddler and an older child with disabilities.

Is it a nightmare to get to/from the trains to metro lounge entrance, then to the kids/family area? I can’t seem to find a video showing this very specific thing. From the quick glimpses I’ve seen, the family room looks quite big with multiple exits.

Are there any “sensory friendly” areas with low lighting and a calm vibe?

Will be traveling through Chicago with a 4hr layover at union station with a toddler and an older child with disabilities.

Is it a nightmare to get to/from the trains to metro lounge entrance, then to the kids/family area? I can’t seem to find a video showing this very specific thing. From the quick glimpses I’ve seen, the family room looks quite big with multiple exits.

Are there any “sensory friendly” areas with low lighting and a calm vibe?
I have never found it a nightmare to get from an arriving train to the lounge, but I am a fast walker and do not carry a lot of luggage. There are a limited number of red cap luggage carts that can take you to the lounge. I would inform your sleeper attendant that you would like a red cap and possibly that can be arranged and the wait will not be very long. The last time I was in Chicago, there was a shortage of red caps.

Once you arrive at the lounge and check in, the kids section is easy to find. If I remember correctly, it is on the left and back a bit. I have only seen it but have not "waited" it in. I do not recall it being quiet or having a calm vibe. Hopefully someone else can suggest a more sensory friendly area of the lounge. The downstairs areas tend to be very crowded (and thus noisy). However, there are upstairs areas that are not as crowded and may be more suitable for your family.

I think part of your question related to getting from the Metro Lounge to the trains...

They always announce when the train will be boarding soon and tell the passengers to gather in the corridor to the left of the front desk (the one that leads to the restrooms, inside the lounge.) When they are ready to board, they open a door at the far end of the corridor and someone leads the group directly to the specific platform for that train. No kindergarten rope with multiple handles, but it is easy to follow along. The route follows the same path that any other passengers (not from the Metro Lounge) would be following, so you want to keep with the group. I think they let this group onto the platform before the other passengers, so there shouldn't be a bottle neck at the doors to the platform. Also, at least in my experience, the Red Caps meet the passengers at the same side door to the Metro Lounge, in case they need help with their luggage or a ride on the little truck.

It's pretty direct to the southside platforms (everything except the EB.) I don't remember if they do the same thing but just follow a longer path for the EB, but I expect they do. (I SHOULD remember since it was my most recent experience, but that was over a year ago!)

So it's pretty easy, especially if you know what to expect and stay with the group.

Back