Chicago Metropolitan Lounge - Baggage & Boarding

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't listen to the rednecks here they have no food taste. Go outside, and move four blocks north to the French Market at Canal St. + Washington Blvd. You will get much better food there then the stuff around Union Station.

Oh, that IS a good point - if you have time to visit the French Market, absolutely do it if only for....two words... Beaver's Donuts. Nom Nom. And many many other delicious options there for lunch & snacks!

Tho travelers should note that it does close at 7:30pm (and some vendors close earlier than that) on weekdays, 5:30pm on Saturdays and is not open on Sundays.

Don't listen to the rednecks here they have no food taste. Go outside, and move four blocks north to the French Market at Canal St. + Washington Blvd. You will get much better food there then the stuff around Union Station.
Generalize much?

I can provide oodles of restaurant recommendations in Chicago. The reason people tend to recommend stuff near the station is because it's close and easy to find, especially when someone doesn't have a six-hour connection and/or has never used Chicago's transit before.

That, and many people who come to Chicago ARE looking for pizza/hot dog recommendations. Suggesting pizza or hot dogs doesn't make someone an uncultured "redneck".

Also, the lounge has more than 3-4 outlets. Most of them are hiding behind furniture. Just pull the end tables or chairs away from the wall a bit to check behind them, and you'll see them. Only a few are in obvious places (like between two chairs or next to a table).

Unos is a nationwide chain... Their's one 10 minutes from home. One in DC Union Station. At least giordano's is a local chain.
In my experience, the pizza served at the original Uno's in Chicago (as well as at their nearby sister location, Pizzeria Due) is much better than what they serve at their other locations.

But in Chicago, I still prefer Giordano's.

Unos is a nationwide chain... Their's one 10 minutes from home. One in DC Union Station. At least giordano's is a local chain.
In my experience, the pizza served at the original Uno's in Chicago (as well as at their nearby sister location, Pizzeria Due) is much better than what they serve at their other locations.

Ditto. I've been to Uno's and Gino's, and I definitely prefer Giordano's. I don't like the crust at Gino's, and I feel like Giordano's uses more cheese. It seems cheesier anyway.

I haven't tried Lou Malnati's yet, so the jury is still out. :)

Ditto. I've been to Uno's and Gino's, and I definitely prefer Giordano's. I don't like the crust at Gino's, and I feel like Giordano's uses more cheese. It seems cheesier anyway.

I haven't tried Lou Malnati's yet, so the jury is still out. :)
To me it is a toss between Lou's and Giordano's but if I had to make a choice Giordano's wins out by the whisker of a thin Kitty. If you hit the one on Jackson at lunch time, they already have Personal Pies up and ready to go, saving a long wait. Now getting it back to the Lounge without tearing into it is another story.

"Chinese Joint No the brochure is correct, sadly the chinese food stand has closed their doors"

If this in relation to in-station Asian food - that is NOT the case. Yes it is called Cajun something or other right now. But those who have eaten at this location will still find same woman and same man that have been operating there for years. And same food is still offered - not one bit of Cajun - just ate there yesterday.

Always find it interesting how these discussions make things sound like a hop skip and a jump. When in reality - especially for those not familiar with area - it's a bit more effort to find these places. Which part of terminal to leave from etc - only gets mentioned sometimes. Rather than deal with having to use phone map and figuring it all out - just easier to eat in station. Make a left out of boarding area - make another left - find "hidden" escalator ( more pain in backside if you need elevator ) - which has horrible - actually no real signage - thanks Ray Lang and proceed to food court. DO NOT rely upon LOUNGE female employee for directions. Trip last month she gave a man horrible help - she thanked me ( and smiled ) when I gave man the 2 lefts instructions and also commented on lack of helpful signage in station.

It's called Cajun Grill, and they have the best lemon chicken EVER. It tastes nothing like lemon, but that stuff is like crack. It's so good.

I don't even care that they've been shut down by the health department a few times. I figure my immune system can use a challenge once in a while.

Oh, and they have really yummy almond cookies. I think those are pre-packaged, but they're still delicious.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are talking about two different places, the Cajun Grill has been there for a long time with the people calling out "Yummy Yummy".

There was a good Chinese food take out just west of Robinson's Ribs. I think it was the six five restaurant. It had good food, large portions and reasonable prices. As far as I can remember it was open two years ago but closed soon after that.

We are talking about two different places, the Cajun Grill has been there for a long time with the people calling out "Yummy Yummy".

There was a good Chinese food take out just west of Robinson's Ribs. I think it was the six five restaurant. It had good food, large portions and reasonable prices. As far as I can remember it was open two years ago but closed soon after that.
Oh, that's right! I got some takeout there back in 2010.

I can't remember what's there now. :unsure:

Going back to the mainline thread, sort of. It used to be that they boarded the sleeper on the Lake Shore Limited early and had a cheese and wine sampler in the dining car. This meant that you should arrive in the Metropolitan Lounge early. I know that they have eliminated the cheese and wine. Are they still boarding the sleeping passengers early? If so, what time should you plan to be in the Lounge? Also, when you arrive in your bedroom, will it be setup for sleeping or day?

This past Thursday I was told to be back to the lounge between 8:30 and 9:00. We didn't actually head to the train until 10:15, due to a "mechanical" problem.

I was quite pleased to find the bed already made up and waiting for me. I last traveled about a month ago, when we departed at the scheduled time, the bed was in daytime mode.

Mike

Giordano's is the very unofficial pizza of AU and is only 2 1/2 blocks east on Jackson! :)
Harrumph.
No doubt Giordano's is fine pizza. But, it is a "chain" pizza. There are probably 12 locations throughout Chicago. They're all good, and they all have that "Chicago Pizza" feel.

The location on Jackson is certainly convenient to Union Station, and if you eat there you won't be disappointed.

But...

Even though it's not as convenient to get to from Union Station, there is better: http://www.unos.com
Nothing, I repeat NOTHING beats Unos Pizza!!!!!

Again going back to main thread- I am not an early to bed type, if the room is set up for night when i board, will they have an issue if i raise the lower bed back up? I plan to sit and relax for a bit before calling it a night.

That, and many people who come to Chicago ARE looking for pizza/hot dog recommendations. Suggesting pizza or hot dogs doesn't make someone an uncultured "redneck".
Enough research will suggest that Chicago is known for one thing. The Italian Beef.

Speaking of which, I highly recommend Al's Italian Beef, located in Taylor St. just west of Morgan St. only about 1 mile from the station, sandwiched inside the University of Illinois campus.

Enough research will suggest that Chicago is known for one thing. The Italian Beef.

Speaking of which, I highly recommend Al's Italian Beef, located in Taylor St. just west of Morgan St. only about 1 mile from the station, sandwiched inside the University of Illinois campus.
There is an Al's even closer (about 1.5 blocks from the Great Hall). It has plenty of seating and fast service, though every time I have gone there it has been past lunch rush and the place was near empty. And if you are going to have Italian Beef, it is ESSENTIAL to order it with Peppers!

Again going back to main thread- I am not an early to bed type, if the room is set up for night when i board, will they have an issue if i raise the lower bed back up? I plan to sit and relax for a bit before calling it a night.
Most SCAs should have no problem with this, though you do have to heave the mattress rig back into the upper. But when I have taken the 48, the room was always in daytime configuration when I boarded in Chicago.

"The city is additionally known for various popular culinary dishes, notably the deep-dish pizza, the Chicago-style hot dog and the Chicago-style Italian beef sandwich."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_Chicago

"1) Italian Beef, 2) Pizza, 10) Hot Dog"

http://www.food.com/slideshow/10-chicago-style-favorites-40

"I would like to try the foods that Chicago is known for. You know, deep dish pizza, hot dogs, (what are some others)?"

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/454979

Hot dog, pizza, and Italian Beef on the first page, with a picture of a hot dog in the header:

http://chicago.seriouseats.com/2013/09/chicago-food-glossary-a-guide-to-the-windy-citys-unique-eats.html

Pizza, beef, and hot dogs:

http://www.midwesternadventures.com/the-tourists-guide-to-chicago-style-foods/

There's the research.

These may not be peer-reviewed culinary journals, but I stand by my statement that Chicago is known for 1) Chicago-style hot dogs, 2) Chicago-style pizza, and 3) Italian Beef. They may be in different orders, but those are the top three according to numerous tourism, local, and foodie websites.

I'm not sure why you have such a chip on your shoulder about it. Do we wish people sampled other, amazing, delicious culinary fare that the city has to offer? Sure. Am I going to begrudge a tourist who wants to try thick, cheesy Chicago-style pizza or a hot dog with a salad on top of it instead of ketchup? Heck no.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back