Chicago Metropolitan Lounge

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to be there in one week, I hope it is open. I had no idea that it was closed.

any updates on the new ML at CUS? I haven't noticed any signs saying opening soon or anything - anyone in the know here?
The "old" lounge is not closed yet. They're renovating a new space (in the Great Hall) for the new lounge. It's expected to open this summer.

I am going to be there in one week, I hope it is open. I had no idea that it was closed.

any updates on the new ML at CUS? I haven't noticed any signs saying opening soon or anything - anyone in the know here?
There is a new Metropolitan Lounge being built at Chicago Union Station. However, if the new lounge is not ready, the old one will be open. One way or another, a lounge will be available.
old/current one is definitely open, just meant the one that is begin built.

Last date given for opening the new lounge was June 2016. Haven't heard any changes or updates.
Same here. I'd overheard the attendant back in February say June 1. I've heard somewhere they won't be ready by then. I'm anxiously keeping my eye out for updates and am heading down there shortly after it opens.

I'm in a roomette on the Cap leaving June 2nd, love it if the new one was open by then, but I won't hold my breath.

I've been personally inside the new metro lounge twice, and they are making a lot of progress in short time. Trust me, it will be ready by Early Summer 2016. Didn't necessarily say June, but they're shooting for June.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last I heard was the last day for the old lounge is June 12th. I'll be at Union Station the 12th so will see I guess.
Me too! Arriving on the CZ that day. We'll probably see each other, but without knowing the secret AU handshake, we'll pass right by each other (hopefully in the new lounge) without even knowing it.

Last I heard was the last day for the old lounge is June 12th. I'll be at Union Station the 12th so will see I guess.
Me too! Arriving on the CZ that day. We'll probably see each other, but without knowing the secret AU handshake, we'll pass right by each other (hopefully in the new lounge) without even knowing it.
Funny thing. My uncle and I will be leaving out on the CZ that day.

Cool to hear that I will be able to see the old lounge before the new one replaces it!

There is a new Metropolitan Lounge being built at Chicago Union Station. However, if the new lounge is not ready, the old one will be open. One way or another, a lounge will be available.

The last day for the old lounge will be Sunday, June 12th. The new lounge opens on Monday, June 13th. Confirmed by several Amtrak sources yesterday.

Not that I doubt you or your sources Rob, but I wouldn't make a Special trip to Chicago based in this Date being the Official Opening!

After all, it's Amtrak and Chicago!
Agreed. Sources may be reliable and dates may be "solid" but stuff happens. Myself, I'm going to wait until it's open to venture down there and check it out. I don't want to be disappointed by being a day or two early due to unforeseen circumstances.

Not that I doubt you or your sources Rob, but I wouldn't make a Special trip to Chicago based in this Date being the Official Opening!

Exactly. Take what was said with a grain of salt. We just happened to be walking by the construction entrance in the Great Hall just as two contractors were leaving. They let us peek our heads inside, but would not allow photos. It's looking nice (workers were working on the staircase between levels of the lounge). They still have A LOT of work if it's going to be done in a month... but I would say it's do-able. Most of the major walls, etc. are up with drywall... it will depend on how long the cosmetic stuff with take.

Exactly. Take what was said with a grain of salt. We just happened to be walking by the construction entrance in the Great Hall just as two contractors were leaving. They let us peek our heads inside, but would not allow photos. It's looking nice (workers were working on the staircase between levels of the lounge). They still have A LOT of work if it's going to be done in a month... but I would say it's do-able. Most of the major walls, etc. are up with drywall... it will depend on how long the cosmetic stuff with take.
thanks for the update!

I will be arriving in Chicago on the Empire Builder on June 17th, connecting to the Lake Shore Limited so perhaps I will get to see the new Metropolitan Lounge if it is open! Great news!

Back