Chicago Metropolitan Lounge

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last date given for opening the new lounge was June 2016. Haven't heard any changes or updates.
I was there yesterday. I had some time to kill after arriving on 8/28, so we went to the lounge until our ride could pick us up at 6PM. I told the attendant about our situation, and she informed me that as of June 12 (or 13) we will not be able to do that since the new lounge will have different policies (gotta be AGR select, or waiting on an outbound train).

So, I assume that the 12th or 13 of June is the date.

PRR60: could you shed some light on this comment of yours?"

"The new lounge is very un-Amtrak looking."
I think the others spoke pretty well for me. Amtrak design is generally pretty institutional. This facility appears to have some actual style, at least based on the limited number of photos, renderings and plans I've seen.

While I still more or less consider the access policy change to be in the rumor stage, I would like to point out that this is very close to VIA's policy for their Business Class/Panorama Lounges. Only departing passengers and technically only within 2 hours of departure (although I have not seen them enforce that one, although I've only been in the Toronto lounge twice and the Montreal lounge once. I don't count the one in Vancouver, because the only use for that is for the Canadian. BTW, that one isn't even open when the Canadian arrives).

Last edited by a moderator:
The rumors are true. I talked to a source, said "it's technically been policy since 1971, we just were nice about it". So, if you are in a sleeper and connecting to coach, even if it is, say, a 1,000 dollar roomette from Flagstaff to CHI, but you want to take coach to, say, Springfield, you cannot use the lounge. You must be departing in a sleeper or business class.

The rumors are true. I talked to a source, said "it's technically been policy since 1971, we just were nice about it". So, if you are in a sleeper and connecting to coach, even if it is, say, a 1,000 dollar roomette from Flagstaff to CHI, but you want to take coach to, say, Springfield, you cannot use the lounge. You must be departing in a sleeper or business class.
"it's technically been policy since 1971, we just were nice about it"? Someone up above posted this

"Metropolitan Lounges are available in Chicago - Union Station, Los Angeles - Union Station and Portland, OR - Union Station to sleeping car passengers, business class passengers with a same-day travel ticket (departure or arrival) and Amtrak Guest Rewards Select Plus or Select Executive members. Relax and enjoy comfortable, quiet lounge seating, complimentary non-alcoholic beverages, snacks, and internet access. Attendants are available to assist with reservations, ticketing and local information."

Tell your source that their website doesn't match their so-called policy:

Metropolitan Lounges are available in Chicago - Union Station, Los Angeles - Union Station and Portland, OR - Union Station to sleeping car passengers, business class passengers with a same-day travel ticket (departure or arrival) and Amtrak Guest Rewards Select Plus or Select Executive members. Relax and enjoy comfortable, quiet lounge seating, complimentary non-alcoholic beverages, snacks, and internet access. Attendants are available to assist with reservations, ticketing and local information.

I was there yesterday. I had some time to kill after arriving on 8/28, so we went to the lounge until our ride could pick us up at 6PM. I told the attendant about our situation, and she informed me that as of June 12 (or 13) we will not be able to do that since the new lounge will have different policies (gotta be AGR select, or waiting on an outbound train).
If any of this is true, then maybe select is worthwhile to midwesterners after all.

The quotation says, "sleeping car passengers, business class passengers with a same-day travel ticket (departure or arrival) and Amtrak Guest Rewards Select Plus or Select Executive members."

Though I am an AGR member, I am not Select Plus.

Following the policy, I guess she didn't have to let us in at all.

The quotation says, "sleeping car passengers, business class passengers with a same-day travel ticket (departure or arrival) and Amtrak Guest Rewards Select Plus or Select Executive members."

Though I am an AGR member, I am not Select Plus.

Following the policy, I guess she didn't have to let us in at all.
Are you saying you think it means you have to be Select Plus in addition to a sleeper pax? I doubt seriously that's what it means. Perhaps they made a grammatical error (commas, ands and ors can be tricky).

The grammar is fine if you read the sentence in its entirety.

I take issue with the lack of an Oxford comma, though. ;)

I have received word the policy will be changing, and amtrak.com will be updated when the time comes around.

Are you saying you think it means you have to be Select Plus in addition to a sleeper pax? I doubt seriously that's what it means. Perhaps they made a grammatical error (commas, ands and ors can be tricky).
Yes. That's what she told me yesterday. Just being a sleeper pax and arriving isn't enough. Gotta be outbound somewhere to stay OR AGR select.

Sounds like no hanging out in the lounge after your train arrives if you do not have a same day departure. That's what I'm perceiving from earlier posts.

Sources that misquote policies like that Chicago "insider" are about as believable as Donald Trump,the Clinton's,Ted Cruz, Alex Jones, Brian Williams or the so called "Reporters" on Fox News!

While this rumor may or may not be true, it does make a certain amount of sense.

I would think that a large portion of sleeper passengers are AGR members. Under the old AGR rules, redemption travel was "zone based", so everyone making short connecting LD trains in or out of Chicago were in sleepers even though they didn't necessarily "need" it for a short trip.

I'm definitely in that boat - now that the AGR rules have changed, I'm planning on taking coach for those connecting trips & only upgrade to sleepers for the long trips. It's kind of a borderline decision - if the shorter segment also includes a meal, or is super early or late, I'm on the fence about sleepers However, if upgrading to the sleepers also gets me access to the Metropolitan Lounge, that's one more reason to upgrade. So, by restricting access like this, Amtrak might sell more upgrades.

While this rumor may or may not be true, it does make a certain amount of sense.

I would think that a large portion of sleeper passengers are AGR members. Under the old AGR rules, redemption travel was "zone based", so everyone making short connecting LD trains in or out of Chicago were in sleepers even though they didn't necessarily "need" it for a short trip.

I'm definitely in that boat - now that the AGR rules have changed, I'm planning on taking coach for those connecting trips & only upgrade to sleepers for the long trips. It's kind of a borderline decision - if the shorter segment also includes a meal, or is super early or late, I'm on the fence about sleepers However, if upgrading to the sleepers also gets me access to the Metropolitan Lounge, that's one more reason to upgrade. So, by restricting access like this, Amtrak might sell more upgrades.

Or maybe they're trying to drum up business for the Legacy Lounge?

I am at the Metro Lounge right now and the service is slow and friendly. Wireless is ok, snacks are forthcoming and nearly half the seats are taken. I haven't even considered asking about the Metro lounge sleeper in and/or out policy that will be coming soon... LOL!

On edit: Forget about half taken, it is SRO.

After farther thought, if this ill thought out change does become effective why not implement the $20 charge for a day pass to the Metro Lounge like the Club Acela in PHL is doing? Great Revenue Source! ( I still say that Biz Class Riders shouldn't get better Perks than those that pay the High Bucket Sleeping Car Fares and have to connect to Coach in Chicago through no fault of their own!)

I'd be willing to pay this to avoid the crazy long Coach Lines and the crowded "Bullpen" waiting rooms @ Union Station! YMMV

I was in there the other day....it was fairly quiet. I saw a beverage machine and very limited snacks - either a bag of potato chips or doritos was it. Decided to get up to leave when it was getting more crowded and there was a line of at least 50 people trying to get in. I assume a train had just arrived, but what a zoo. As for the $20/day use of the lounge, that's what the Legacy Club is for. I am looking forward to the new Metropolitan lounge.

I have received word the policy will be changing, and amtrak.com will be updated when the time comes around.
With all due respect to you for relaying it, if the source for that was the same person who blatantly misstated the present policy, it's still just rumor to me.
That was from a different, extremely reputable source. Like in charge of that kind of stuff

With all due respect to you for relaying it, if the source for that was the same person who blatantly misstated the present policy, it's still just rumor to me.
That was from a different, extremely reputable source. Like in charge of that kind of stuff
And on top of that they just fired a bunch of Central Division Management folks.. So let's not rush to conclusions right now...

Back