Chicago Metropolitan Lounge

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always brought "snack food" (which I define as dried fruit, nuts, and granola bars) on every trip with me. I have pulled it out of my bag and eaten it in every lounge I've been in: PDX, CHI, BOS, WAS, NYP, LAX, and NOL I cannot eat it in a restaurant, because it's "outside food" there too. If anyone ever told me I couldn't eat it in the lounge, I'd give them the "Little-Old-Lady" eagle-eye. No one ever has. There must be a difference between cold, dry snack foods and potentially messy restaurant takeout.

I have always brought "snack food" (which I define as dried fruit, nuts, and granola bars) on every trip with me. I have pulled it out of my bag and eaten it in every lounge I've been in: PDX, CHI, BOS, WAS, NYP, LAX, and NOL I cannot eat it in a restaurant, because it's "outside food" there too. If anyone ever told me I couldn't eat it in the lounge, I'd give them the "Little-Old-Lady" eagle-eye. No one ever has. There must be a difference between cold, dry snack foods and potentially messy restaurant takeout.
I think that is correct. I doubt they would stop anyone from consuming a Kit Kat or a small bag of pretzels or trail mix or some such.

OTOH, in Washington Club Acela, once I was dinged for bringing one in, which I had no intention of eating in the lounge at 4pm. It was for consumption later on the train. They just told me to pack it away in my baggage and be on my way when the train is called. So no big deal.
In my personal experience, the Washington Lounge is the worst as far as customer service issues like this.

I'm 100% against that policy. This is a first class lounge where people have extended layovers. It's perfectly reasonable to want to grab food in the station and bring it back to the lounge. I also used to see many families stay in the lounge while one family member went to get food. This would be a major inconvenience for them.
Why can't said family eat at the restaurant from which they're ordering? If a family has an extended layover then it seems reasonable they should be able to plan out a method for eating that doesn't require the use of the lounge during that time. If that means choosing a restaurant with available seating then so be it. Also, some people have no concept of what kinds of food are appropriate for consumption in a lounge and may bring very smelly foods with them and stink up the joint or leave a mess behind. In a restaurant a family can leave a mess and it will be cleaned up after them. In an Amtrak lounge whatever mess they leave might remain uncleaned until after closing.
Well I never said it was impossible for them to eat in a restaurant did I? Many families naturally choose to do this. But if you have several small children, or elderly members of your family, it may be a complex endeavor to pack everything up (strollers, diaper bags, wheelchairs, whatever) and go some place to eat. As has been noted.. Chicago's Food Court area can be pretty busy and finding tables difficult at certain times of day.

In my personal experience.. my mother and grandmother and I, many years ago, used to travel through Chicago and we would bring pizza back to the lounge so all 3 of us could eat together. My grandmother was in a wheelchair, and it would have been several extra steps just to get up to the food court. By far the most convenient and relaxing way for us to eat lunch was to just eat in the lounge. And my grandmother... who wasn't fond of traveling, always said she looked forward to getting pizza in chicago.

For me, personally? What is the lounge supposed to be? Obviously they expect people to want to eat and drink in the lounge.. since they serve food and drink. It seems perfectly natural that someone wants to grab something to eat and take it back to the lounge.

In general airline lounges also do not permit food brought in from outside to be consumed in the lounge. So this rule is not unique to Amtrak. It is pretty much a travel industry standard for all practical purposes, whether one likes it or not, or wants to spend hours arguing about or not.

At airports I usually drop my bag in the lounge and then head out to a restaurant for food, unless of course the lounge has good enough food to preclude that need. That is unusual in US domestic lounges but quite common in international lounges. Specially notable for good food in my mind are the lounges in London Heathrow, Frankfurt, Singapore, and even Delhi. Of course in the US some domestic airport don;t have much in the way of reasonable food available even outside the lounges, but fortunately most of the the large airports that I normally use do..

if you go on over to flyer talk you can find lots of people unhappy about Deltas first class lounge "no outside food" policy as well.

Yeah, people have the freedom to be unhappy. What I was saying is what the general policy is all around. I am also unhappy that the banks do not want to give me a million dollar for nothing. And I am sure I can find many others who would sign on to that general cause for unhappiness. So what? :p

But do banks allow you to bring in food for your pajama wearing chihuahua service dog while collecting said million dollars... That's what I want to know!!!!!!!!

But do banks allow you to bring in food for your pajama wearing chihuahua service dog while collecting said million dollars... That's what I want to know!!!!!!!!
Of course! Until proven otherwise that is. We are the optimistic sort. ;)

They might even allow my pajama wearing St. Bernard for that matter even my kilt wearing Shetland Pony for that matter, if there was a situation where I was actually eligible to collect a million dollars from them. LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:
You Americans have a pretty relaxed dress sense, our pets would have to wear top hats and a tie at least!

also make sure your pinky is out when drinking your cup of tea please, standards much be up held even if you are wearing wide your dressing gown open and commando underneath ;)

Certainly you take your top hat off while dining. So should your dog and your pajama -wearing spouse.
Close, but not quite correct.

When traveling east of the Mississippi, it is considered proper etiquette to dress your Chihuahua in your spouse's pajamas and then place the dog, p.j.'s and all, on top of your head, in place of the top hat.

When traveling west of the Mississippi, you should place your spouse, wearing the top hat and Chihuahua, on top of your head, so as to allow your spouse's pajamas to quietly enjoy a nice meal by your side.

I don't necessarily agree with the protocol, but I don't make the rules.

^** ROTFLMAO **^ Well played! Well played indeed!

It is possible that your spouse may refuse to partake in the Western ritual given the apparent lack of covering on her, unless your Chihuahua has been taking lots of steroids for a while though :p

I do pity the Moderators. I wonder when they will decide enough is enough though too. :wacko:

^** ROTFLMAO **^ Well played! Well played indeed!

It is possible that your spouse may refuse to partake in the Western ritual given the apparent lack of covering on her, unless your Chihuahua has been taking lots of steroids for a while though :p

I do pity the Moderators. I wonder when they will decide enough is enough though too. :wacko:
I was wondering the same thing, and here it is two hours later. :blink: And then there's a certain somebody who has not spoken up yet to complain about the nonsense. :ph34r:

Nonsense? I thought this was the de facto etiquette for dining and banking in the US. How will we ever cope with these ever changing rituals?

Back to topic... My biggest annoyance with the no-food rule is simple. I'm purchasing a PREMIUM ticket. I expect to be treated BETTER than coach passengers, not worse. Coach Passengers are free to bring food into their waiting areas (this applies to airports and train stations). I expect the company to cater, within reason, to first class (or "premium" whatever lingo you want to use). It seems perfectly reasonable to me, to want to bring a light meal, or a snack into a lounge while waiting. The very fact they serve food makes me think they understand the concept. So what is the real problem? Someone leaves a mess? Have an employee pick it up! I'm not for anyone being messy.. but it happens. Some people pick up for themselves, some leave a mess... don't worry about it. Cater to your customers.. don't hand them a tacky list of do's and don't's.

When I book a sleeper it's so I can have a bed to lay down on at night. And for a little more freedom of movement (so I don't have to bother my seat mate when I want to get up and walk around since I usually get a window seat). I don't book a sleeper to be catered to either on the train or in the lounge.

When I book a sleeper it's so I can have a bed to lay down on at night. And for a little more freedom of movement (so I don't have to bother my seat mate when I want to get up and walk around since I usually get a window seat). I don't book a sleeper to be catered to either on the train or in the lounge.
If I pay $800 for a Roomette on the Zephyr... I expect a certain level of being catered to. I'm not expecting anyone to shine my shoes or bow as I enter. But I expect to be permitted to do reasonable things such as take my cell phone to the dining car (which I've been told is strictly forbidden by an LSA once). And yes... I would expect, as was allowed for many years now, to be able to take my lunch into the large 1st class lounge which is filled with tables perfect for eating food at. I also expect to have a simple and easy boarding procedure! I know I am SUCH a demanding customer.

That expectation is not in line with the rest of the system.
Well at one time it was. I remember bringing cream puffs back to the lounge in DC all the time. This was like 10 years ago? No big loss since the cream puff place is out of business now. :(

I have not paid $800 for a CZ roomette ever and I ride frequently. Typically, I pay around $400 using Amsnag and most has been $600+ in peak July/August season. I'm thankful for just having the Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago, most cities I board at don't have such nice facilities so I don't complain about rules or "honor" luggage storage.

Back