Chicago transportation options

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cristobal

Lead Service Attendant
I'll be killing a few days in Chi-town during an upcoming 'CZ r/t & Chicago layover' vacation. I'm looking for some advice on the best/cheapest way to get from the Magnificent Mile area (where I'll be staying) to the Museum of Science & Industry on one day and to Wrigley Field on another. I've already budgeted for a taxi to/from the hotel and CUS but I'd really like to know what my other options are for the rest. Thanks...

The CTA offers tons of Bus options that should be pretty easy to get from the street on the Mile to the Museum of Science & Induestry (MScI). I don't know what route numbers off hand; however Google Maps will tell you. You can also take the El or Metra down there, however you'll have to walk a few blocks from the Metra Station, and I'd consider catching a bus from the El station. For the Metra option, You'd want to catch a Metra Electric Train (from Millennium Station), I believe almost all of them stop and the MScI.

I'm afraid I don't know how to get to Wrigley Field any more (it's been to long). If my foggy memory serves me, you need to catch the El to get there. -- Ok I just looked it up. To get from the Mile to Wrigley, you want to catch the Red Line (State Street Subway in the Loop) to Addison, where the Stadium will be right there.

While I have Google Maps open, For MScI, you can take almost any train from Millennium Station (including NICTD) to a stop which is a block or two away from the Museum, That stop is: "55th - 56th - 57th" If I recall they announce that you should get off there for the Museum, however announcements are sometimes hard to hear on Metra. Alternatively Bus Route 55 will take you right up to the door, I don't know where you can get Route 55 downtown, I would just ask the Door Staff at your hotel. Millennium Station is just a short walk from the Mile as well.

peter

Getting from the Magnificent Mile to the Museum of Science and Industry is quite easy with the #10 bus (just check the schedule at www.transitchicago.com to make sure it's running when you want to ride it; if not, you can catch the #6 bus along State Street south of Wacker Drive). The #55 bus does not go anywhere near downtown, and, honestly, if you don't know where you are or where you're going, the #55 bus is probably not the best bus to be on.

I don't think NICTD carries local passengers within Illinois, except to/from Hegewisch (which is nowhere near where you're trying to go). You can take Metra Electric down there from Millennium Station, but the schedules are a bit awkward, depending on when you're going. The #6 bus is better (and #10 slightly better, still, if it's running).

Wrigley Field - Red Line from Chicago/State up to Addison. If you want a more scenic ride, you could also ride the #146 bus up from Michigan Avenue to Addison/Lake Shore, and walk a half mile west. Returning from the game (assuming you're going to the game), the bus might be a decent alternative anyway since the Red Line will be extremely crowded. This also assumes a day game, since the #146 stops running around 9-something from the north side, so wouldn't be an option (but the #151 would be, and it serves the same stop...whatever, anyway). Just remember that CTA buses require either a transit card (pay-per-ride or unlimited ride), or exact cash fare. No change given, and no transfers permitted with cash fares (transfers with pay-per-ride card cost 25 cents for two extra rides within two hours).

Go to Wallgreen and get a MTA pass for how many days you may be there.. It's worth it than paying the taxi cab.

Check the "Go card"

It's odd that I don't have a Chicago Card yet. I'm usually there a couple times every year.

I have a Charlie Card, but haven't been to Boston since they put the system in place....

I just went off from what Google Maps said pulls up in front of the doors. There are a number of different buses that will get you within a few blocks of the Musuem. I have a horrible time remembering numbers so I have to look it up (that and I usually take Metra Electric to the Museum, as it stops a few blocks away from my Grandfathers apartment on South Shore Drive.

peter

I agree. The CTA one and three day passes can get you anywhere you want to go downtown on the bus or the el. After your second ride, you are riding free. The Chicago mass transit system is very comprehensive but just a little map study will get you anywhere.

One caution: Sunday bus service is very limited. Plan accordingly.

One caution: Sunday bus service is very limited. Plan accordingly.
Sunday bus service is not that limited. Except for rush-hour and weekday-only service, which wouldn't be much use to the OP anyway. Most service is still reasonably frequent on Sunday (at least, compared to what you'd find for Sunday service elsewhere in the country, which probably isn't a very high standard).

TraneMan, I guess you meant Go Chicago Card, which seems to be similar to CityPass. I wasn't really thinking of those, but they can be useful.

Thanks guys. The 3-day pass sounds like the hot ticket especially since that's exactly the number of full days that I'll be in town. I hadn't even considered a ride on the el but I probably should just so that I can say I did. Where should I go?

Unfortunately, the Cubs are away the entire time that I'll be there but I still want to go to Wrigley and take the stadium tour.

"L", not "El" which I originally thought, is a nostalgic ride, riding above ground. It doesn't matter where you go, just riding to and back. Be sure to explore the stations downtown. It likes a timeless piece.

I thought that the #10 also went to the MoS&I.
Did you read Trogdor's first post in this thread?

Yes, the #10 bus is an express that goes directly to the front door of the MSI. However, it doesn't run every day -- it runs weekends and holidays, plus weekdays between Memorial Day and Labor Day and between Thanksgiving and Christmas. (Obviously, that does cover most of the days of the year when there are a lot of tourists wanting to visit the MSI.)

As Trogdor also indicated, on days when the #10 isn't running, the best way to get to the MSI is the #6 bus to the 56th Street/Hyde Park stop, from which it's an easy walk to the museum.

The best way to plan traveling on the CTA is to use the Google Transit feature in Google Maps

The CTA is one of the many public transit agencies all over the world that participates in Google Transit Google Transit participating agencies list

This is what I use when I'm in the city and it's never been less than perfect.

The CTA also has a trip planner feature on their website that uses Google Transit for results CTA trip planner, schedules, and more information.

Here's a direct link to Google Transit for the Chicago area

Go to Google Transit

Input Start and Destination

Use the drop down menus to choose your departure dates and times

Click Get Directions

Or

Go to Google Maps

Click on get directions

Click on the bus icon

Click on Get Directions

You'll, more than likely, receive multiple suggested routes.

Click on any one of the routes and scroll down to see the details of the route.

Buy or reload your CTA Transit Card at one of the machines inside the Metra Station inside CUS

After you leave your train, head towards the Great Hall, the Metra station is on the right before you go through the glass doors - CTA Transit Pass machines are on the right as you walk inside.

It seems that a lot of people with long layovers tend to stay in the, imho, hideously, ugly area around CUS.

There's absolutely no reason not to see a little of the city without any fear of missing your train.

For a cheap fun mini tour of the city, taking a round trip on the 151 bus that originates and terminates in front of CUS is a fun idea, you can even haul your bags onto the bus if you don't want to rent a locker.

Using public transportation in Chicago is fast, easy, reliable, and safe.

Also, as a native and former longtime resident, I can tell you this:

It's always been the 'L' and it's NEVER Chi-Town unless you want to mark yourself as a tourist, suburbanite, transplant, gangsta, or Guy Fieri wannabe
tongue.gif
mosking.gif

Speaking of the L, one of my favorite sights ever (back in the day) was on the Belmont and Sheffield platform.

A Latin Eagles tag had been transformed into Eatin Bagles (sic)
laugh.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
The best way to plan traveling on the CTA is to use the Google Transit feature in Google Maps

The CTA is one of the many public transit agencies all over the world that participates in Google Transit Google Transit participating agencies list

The CTA also has a trip planner feature on their website that uses Google Transit for results CTA trip planner, schedules, and more information.

Go to Google Transit

Click Get Directions

Or

Go to Google Maps

Click on get directions

Click on the bus icon

Click on Get Directions

Buy or reload your CTA Transit Card at one of the machines inside the Metra Station inside CUS

After you leave your train, head towards the Great Hall, the Metra station is on the right before you go through the glass doors - CTA Transit Pass machines are on the right as you walk inside.

It seems that a lot of people with long layovers tend to stay in the, imho, hideously, ugly area around CUS.

There's absolutely no reason not to see a little of the city without any fear of missing your train.

For a cheap fun mini tour of the city, taking a round trip on the 151 bus that originates and terminates in front of CUS is a fun idea, you can even haul your bags onto the bus if you don't want to rent a locker.

It's always been the 'L' and it's NEVER Chi-Town unless you want to mark yourself as a tourist, suburbanite, transplant, gangsta, or Guy Fieri wannabe
tongue.gif
mosking.gif

Speaking of the L, one of my favorite sights ever (back in the day) was on the Belmont and Sheffield platform.

laugh.gif
Thanks for all that. I did stumble across the Google Transit link last night while poking around the CTA website. That does seem like a pretty valuable tool. I was also looking at the various transit apps available for my iphone.

Your directions to the CTA Transit Pass vending machines are especially helpful as I had already decided to buy the 3-day pass before I leave CUS for my hotel so that I'll already have it at-the-ready first thing the next morning.

Your comment about 'Chi-town' made me laugh because I always tell people the same thing about calling San Fransisco 'Frisco' or 'San Fran'. Around here it's just 'The City' as in "We're heading up to The City tonight to go catch a play" but plain ol' San Fransisco works too. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Go to Google Transit

Click Get Directions

Or

Go to Google Maps

Click on get directions

Click on the bus icon

Click on Get Directions

tongue.gif
mosking.gif

laugh.gif
Thanks for all that. I did stumble across the Google Transit link last night while poking around the CTA website. That does seem like a pretty valuable tool. I was also looking at the various transit apps available for my iphone.

Your directions to the CTA Transit Pass vending machines are especially helpful as I had already decided to buy the 3-day pass before I leave CUS for my hotel so that I'll already have it at-the-ready first thing the next morning.

You comment about 'Chi-town' made me laugh because I always tell people the same thing about calling San Fransisco 'Frisco' or 'San Fran'. Around here it's just 'The City' as in "We're heading up to The City tonight to go catch a play" but plain ol' San Fransisco works too. :D
You are soooo welcome, Cristobal
smile.gif

I use Google Maps for Mobile on my not smart at all faux Blackberry phone (LG900) and it works great.

Ah, Frisco... that's another one - I wouldn't say that any more than I'd say Bean Town, The Big Apple, Sin City, or The Big Easy - to each their own, though.

To me, it sounds like a sad attempt at being hip, urban, and familiar - that's the last thing a native would think someone using a city nickname is.

I mean, Paris is known as the City of Lights but who says that?

The descriptive nicknames, like The Windy City, have their place in marketing but sound silly used in conversation, imo.

It works the other way around too - I have never gone to Big Apple Bagels because I can't imagine a good bagel coming from a place with a name like that.

Oh yeah, The Chi is another one - don't do it people... Chicagoans will think you're a rube
tongue.gif

If you're going to buy a three-day pass inside CUS, make sure you use the correct machine. There are three types of ticket machines near the Metra ticket windows. The first set of machines you'll encounter are Metra ticket machines. Further in, you'll find the CTA transit card vending machine (which only sells pay-per-ride cards, and only takes cash) plus a pass machine (which only sells passes).

Don't get me started on the lack of integration of the various local public transit services in the Chicagoland area, but that is what it is.

I'll be killing a few days in Chi-town during an upcoming 'CZ r/t & Chicago layover' vacation. I'm looking for some advice on the best/cheapest way to get from the Magnificent Mile area (where I'll be staying) to the Museum of Science & Industry on one day and to Wrigley Field on another. I've already budgeted for a taxi to/from the hotel and CUS but I'd really like to know what my other options are for the rest. Thanks...
Good advice on here to/from Wrigley Field.

However I strongly recommend the Chicago Water Taxi (Wendella yellow boats) for the CUS-Mag Mile trip. It's cheaper, more relaxing, faster during rush, and gets you a breathtaking view of the city. $3 one-way and connects CUS (Madison Street entrance) to the Mag Mile. Its a ~10 minute ride. Schedules posted at http://www.chicagowatertaxi.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back