Chicago Union Station arrival times

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carjaq

Train Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Hello - I've been trying to find a place where all the Amtrak (and Metra would be great, too) daily arrival times at Chicago Union Station are posted in one place and have been unsuccessful. My condo actually looks over the station, and it's interesting to know what train is arriving when the foot traffic increases. (It also makes taking the train convenient.:)) I know when some trains typically arrive and could create my own document, but was hoping to avoid the work! Does anyone know if that info is available on one webpage?

Hello - I've been trying to find a place where all the Amtrak (and Metra would be great, too) daily arrival times at Chicago Union Station are posted in one place and have been unsuccessful. My condo actually looks over the station, and it's interesting to know what train is arriving when the foot traffic increases. (It also makes taking the train convenient.:)) I know when some trains typically arrive and could create my own document, but was hoping to avoid the work! Does anyone know if that info is available on one webpage?
This may be helpful:
https://asm.transitdocs.com/station/CHI

Alas, Metra arrivals to Union Station aren't listed in one place. Even in the station, the screens display Amtrak arrivals, Amtrak departures, and Metra departures.

I suspect the controllers or dispatchers in the booths by the station-side end of the platforms may have screens listing all arrivals & departures, but the public doesn't have access to them.

Your best bet might, actually, be the Transit app. Considering how close you live to the station, it will offer a substantial list of trains departing and arriving soon. It isn't a database of daily schedules, but it could allow you to connect the foot traffic and train traffic you're seeing. Outside of rush hour, most Metra commuter trains depart around the bottom of the hour, give or take five to ten minutes, and have hourly headways (or two hour weekends.) That said, there are also equipment moves to/from rail yards which won't be on timetables which you'll see in and out of stations.

Your best bet might, actually, be the Transit app. Considering how close you live to the station, it will offer a substantial list of trains departing and arriving soon. It isn't a database of daily schedules, but it could allow you to connect the foot traffic and train traffic you're seeing. Outside of rush hour, most Metra commuter trains depart around the bottom of the hour, give or take five to ten minutes, and have hourly headways (or two hour weekends.) That said, there are also equipment moves to/from rail yards which won't be on timetables which you'll see in and out of stations.

As far as I have seen, the Transit app will not show arrivals. Its intended purpose is to help folks know where/when to board a particular transit vehicle, so trains arriving/terminating at a station won’t show up unless you check the status from a station further upline to check the travel time.

As far as I have seen, the Transit app will not show arrivals. Its intended purpose is to help folks know where/when to board a particular transit vehicle, so trains arriving/terminating at a station won’t show up unless you check the status from a station further upline to check the travel time.

I'll have to test that out next time I'm downtown.

I also like Quick Track Chicago, which will offer lists of arrivals/departures for station pairs on individual lines. So, if you have some idea of what you're looking at and what time it is...

Last edited:
Back