City of New Orleans cancelled?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a robo-call today that my rez for #58 tomorrow would be a no go due to flooding. Anyone have any specifics as to where and how bad?

Where were u heading? I know that nashville is under, I think 26 ft of water, last I heard.

Memphis was also hit pretty hard though I'm not sure it was as bad as Nashville. Hopefully, that sinkhole doesn't form again...

The Memphis area had more than 12" of rain in some locations this past weekend. There are locations around Memphis where the CN tracks are low and near water. It's possible that CN has had to close the line until it can be checked, repaired, and reopened. Fortunately Memphis did not get tornados as did Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, and eastern Tennessee.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in the CHI Metropolitan Lounge on Tuesday night, and saw on the board that it was cancelled due to flooding in TN. (I forget the name of the town.) I know around Memphis they had major flooding.

I was sitting next to a group going to HMD. But because they were starting in CHI, Amtrak could not do any more than refund their fare. If they were connecting (from say CJE or MSP thru CHI), then Amtrak could do more.

As of what I heard Tuesday afternoon, it may be several days until service is restored. :eek:

As of what I heard Tuesday afternoon, it may be several days until service is restored. :eek:
I am supposed to be on the CONO on Wednesday May 13th. I REALLY hope they have it repaired by then. If not, my 12-day-on-a-train journey will have an auspicious start (and perhaps screw up the schedule for the rest). :angry:

I would imagine they will have it fixed well before then.

I am supposed to be on the CONO on Wednesday May 13th. I REALLY hope they have it repaired by then. If not, my 12-day-on-a-train journey will have an auspicious start (and perhaps screw up the schedule for the rest). :angry:

I would imagine they will have it fixed well before then.

I leave tomorrow morning for a weekend trip, ending with a ride on the CONO from Chicago to New Orleans departing Sunday night. I have my fingers crossed for it being running by then, otherwise I guess I'll be scrambling to find a flight home. :eek:

EDIT: Just checked amtrak.com and tonight's CONO still shows it's scheduled for a 8pm departure from CHI. Here's hoping.

#58 was cancelled today from NOL to CHI, but amtrak.com shows #59 as departed from Chicago on-time just now. So here's hoping it makes it to NOL and remains doing so through the week.

Well I made it to Memphis...by car <_< . It was a boring ride, but we made it. Now I'm just hoping that things will be clear for my departure Sunday evening towards Chicago (and beyond).

Both 58 & 59 ran as scheduled today. I watched in Hammond as the trains passed through. On another note, the northbound CONO had 2 Lounges and 3 engines today. The second engine in the consist was #832, one of the recently refurbished P40s. The other two were P42s #80 & #114.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back