Clean and Comfortable

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Abby

I haven't been on a train for many years, and am considering taking the train from Tampa Florida to Philadelphia, PA.

Are the seats comfortable and is the train clean? I'd like to get a compartment, but it's a little pricey. I am terrified to fly and must go to PA. Is there someone at the station in Tampa to check your bags?

Yes they are very comfortable in coach, The coach seats recline MUCH more than an airline seat and also have a leg rest and foot rest! If you're at all flexible on days, check the other days around. (The 15th or the 17th may or may not cost the same as the 16th, as they are sold by the number of seats sold for that train! Also remember there are 2 trains a day between those cities!
excl.gif
)

Keep checking the fares, as they may go down. As long as you do not print your ticket, there is NO PENALTY to change your ticket!
smile.gif
(You can print your ticket at the station on the day of departure!

And yes, you can check bags in both Tampa and Philadelphia! Just arrive more than 45 minutes prior to departure. You can check up to 3 bags (up to 50 pounds each) for no charge!

Last edited by a moderator:
The seats are super comfortable. Between the leg rest and the angle of recline, it's a lot like a recliner at home. They aren't as cushy, but they aren't uncomfortable by any means. Plus, it's easy to get up and walk around, and you can sit in the Lounge car for some variety. :)

thank you all for your replies. My dad, grandfather, great grandfather and several uncles were all railroaders. We always took the train from NYC to Florida when I was a child. I haven't been on a train in many years and am apprehensive about traveling that far alone. I just loves trains and think this would be an exciting trip instead of flying, which I hate. thank you again.

Yes they are very comfortable in coach, The coach seats recline MUCH more than an airline seat and also have a leg rest and foot rest! If you're at all flexible on days, check the other days around. (The 15th or the 17th may or may not cost the same as the 16th, as they are sold by the number of seats sold for that train! Also remember there are 2 trains a day between those cities!
excl.gif
)

Keep checking the fares, as they may go down. As long as you do not print your ticket, there is NO PENALTY to change your ticket!
smile.gif
(You can print your ticket at the station on the day of departure!

And yes, you can check bags in both Tampa and Philadelphia! Just arrive more than 45 minutes prior to departure. You can check up to 3 bags (up to 50 pounds each) for no charge!

Last edited:
I haven't been on a train for many years, and am considering taking the train from Tampa Florida to Philadelphia, PA.

Are the seats comfortable and is the train clean? I'd like to get a compartment, but it's a little pricey. I am terrified to fly and must go to PA. Is there someone at the station in Tampa to check your bags?

If you care about specifics, you will probably take the Silver Star, with Amfleet II coaches and Viewliner sleepers. I think they have between 50-55 inches of seat pitch compared to 36-40 inches for airline Domestic First and 30-34 inches for airline Economy class.

I strongly suggest that you take a sleeper, as the bed is 72 inches long and all dining car meals are included. You could end up shelling $50 just for meals. Also, you have a dedicated sleeping car attendant and each room has two windows stacked on each other.

My parents refuse to travel on a train because of an experience they had in 1985. Train travel is MUCH different than it was back then. To me, it feels cleaner, safer and more comfortable than it did back then.

I ride coach Philadelphia to West Palm Beach and back at least once or twice a year. (We usually take the Meteor Southbound and the Star Northbound because of timing.) I have always found it quite comfortable. My fiance who you would never find sleeping in a recliner sleeps like a baby throughout much of trip. The leg rest is greatly appreciated and we love the in-seat power outlets. I suggest bringing your own small pillow and blanket for maximum comfort. Overall, it's much more comfortable than air travel as you have more space and more amenities.

The clean part seems to depend on the particular date of travel. In the winter we usually don't find any issues with the cleanliness but when traveling on new years day a few years ago, some very hungover people must have gotten motion sickness or something and some bathrooms were not as fresh and clean as maybe they could have been. In the summer and over school breaks we notice a bit more debris lying around on the floors and in the cafe car but that's just something that seems to happen as the number of (usually unattended :angry2: )children is greater. They keep up with it the best they can and I've never seen anything go uncleaned for an extended period of time,

Remember that although you can choose to spend a fortune on food, there's no rule that says you cannot bring your own food/cooler. We usually eat only one meal in the dining car and bring all the rest but sometimes purchase small items in the cafe car.

I... ...am apprehensive about traveling that far alone.
We have a number of women who travel alone on this blog, and while I can't speak for them, I think they find Amtrak to be safe and comfortable. That is also the impression I've gotten onboard from solo female travelers. Have some meals in the Dining Car - breakfast is a great choice, and you will probably find you will soon be amongst new found friends! :cool:

Please don't worry about traveling alone. I used to travel by myself to visit my boyfriend in Albuquerque, and that's a 26-hour trip. All of the men I sat next to were very polite.

If anyone does bother you, don't hesitate to speak up. It truly is a rare occurrence, though. Most people on the train read, listen to music, watch movies on their laptop, and sleep. I asked a car attendant if I could move seats once, but that was because the guy next to me smelled like he hadn't bathed in a week and it was making me nauseated.

Just make sure to take your purse with you whenever you leave your seat, which is pretty much a given no matter how you travel. :)

I have traveled cross country alone three times and from Florida to the northeast more times than I can count. I have never felt uncomfortable traveling alone. I always get a room because I am very picky about restroom cleanliness and do not like to share facilities. The meals are an extra bonus.

On our worst trip (the New Years Day Northbound Star) there was a very drunk man groping women as they passed him. Another woman and I alerted the conductor that we had been groped and the man was put in an inside seat with a large conductor on the aisle. He was put off at the next stop.

I would suggest not getting off at the longer stops overnight. On a different trip, a very inebriated man exposed himself to a bunch of us while on the platform of one of these stops. The conductor quickly told him to cover up and that if he refused, they would leave him there. I never saw him again after that.

Even given those 2 experiences, I would not hesitate for one moment to travel alone on amtrak. If you're feeling uncomfortable for any reason, just alert a conductor and they will quickly handle the situation.

I've traveled Amtrak alone many times. I always felt very safe. Never once had a women try to flash or grope me. :lol:
If you look like any of your recent avatar photos, I can see why. :lol: :lol: :lol:

We have a number of women who travel alone on this (forum), and while I can't speak for them
I try to speak for them - but can't get a word in!
laugh.gif
(Oh oh - I'm in trouble now!
blink.gif
But I've got control of the "delete" button!
mosking.gif
)
LOL!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: And its a good thing you have the delete button, 'cause I think you are going to need it! :cool:

We have a number of women who travel alone on this (forum), and while I can't speak for them
laugh.gif
blink.gif
mosking.gif
)
Are you implying that I talk a lot? :wacko: If you are, you are not the first man to do that. :lol:

laugh.gif
blink.gif
mosking.gif
)
Are you implying that I talk a lot? :wacko: If you are, you are not the first man to do that. :lol:
Well it's kind of hard to not to when people keep saying "A Penny for your thoughts." :lol: :D

Well it's kind of hard to not to when people keep saying "A Penny for your thoughts." :lol: :D
Alan, you are in rare form today. Two for two. :) :)
Are you implying Alan just threw in 2 cents.

:giggle: :rolleyes: :lol: :wub:

Aloha
That's more than he paid to go to WPK a few weeks back!
mosking.gif

I guess my bribe to get the Gathering to be held in KIN didn't work!
laugh.gif
Could that be because the Acela does not stop there? :rolleyes:

Aloha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back