Coach Seats - Sleepable?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MistressJane

Hey folks!

In a few weeks I'm taking my first ever ride on a train! I'm traveling from San Francisco to Syracuse with one stop in Chicago. Buying a sleeper car on this particular route costs and extra $700 one way and $350 the other. INSANITY!! I'm more or less forced to just go with the coach seats, but as it's such a long ride, I'm worried I won't get a moments rest. Is that the case? Is it even possible to sleep in a coach seat? Are the sleeper cars THAT much nicer!? Help, please!

A million thanks,

~B

Yes, it is possible to sleep in coach. The quality and length of sleep you get probably won't be what you hope for. If you have the two seats alone you can lay down in a scrunched up position, but if someone is seated next to you it's not as comfortable. It's kind of like falling asleep in a recliner. but not as nice.

Most people do a good job of sleeping in coach seats. They recline well back and have plenty of space. way beyond aprplane or bus seats.

How well you sleep depends a lot on how sensitive you are to surrounding noise and motion, adn sleeping an a vehicle that is in motion. It has been a few years since I have done a night in coach, but never two or more in a row, and you are looking at three, but for the money differences you are seeing, it makes sense. However, if you plan on eating meals in the diner, you need to recognize that real difference is less since meals are part of sleeper fare. You might want to see what you can do in the way of getting a sleeper for part of the trip. In particular, if you could get Chicago to Syracuse that would give you your last night in a bed and privacy and access to a shower. Also, since meals are part of sleeper fare, you should be able to get a good breakfast on your last morning.

Not if you have a snoring drunk guy drooling on your shoulder. That was my first and last time for LD coach. Literally the first thing I did upon arrival in PDX was to upgrade my return to a roomette. Best move I ever made.

It helps when you're not seated near some pinhead who has all the sense of a head of cabbage and who doesn't turn his cell phone off and proceeds to make and take calls, all with a voice that the engineer could hear, long past 1AM. :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

Beyond that, it's possible, especially if you have two seats to yourself, as previously stated. It's not the most comfortable way to sleep, but is doable.

Hey folks!

In a few weeks I'm taking my first ever ride on a train! I'm traveling from San Francisco to Syracuse with one stop in Chicago. Buying a sleeper car on this particular route costs and extra $700 one way and $350 the other. INSANITY!! I'm more or less forced to just go with the coach seats, but as it's such a long ride, I'm worried I won't get a moments rest. Is that the case? Is it even possible to sleep in a coach seat? Are the sleeper cars THAT much nicer!? Help, please!

A million thanks,

~B
If you can sleep in a recliner you are good to go. I slept two nights each way to CHI and back to LA with no problem.

Dan

If I can get a 2 pack of seats to myself, I usually can build a comfortable nest and get a decent night's sleep in Coach. On one trip, the guy in the seats across from me "disappeared" during the night and next morning said he discovered the big open floor space on the Lower Level and stretched out there.

If you do wander about the train at night, be aware of the Lounge Lizards that tend to hide out in the Sightseer Lounge-they can make an awful noise and possibly bite if stepped on :lol:

Think first class airline seats in a coach compartment. i.e. Crying babies, possibly problem seatmates, possible problem people in other seats talking or phoning or ...

It could be easy. It could be your worst nightmare. Luck of the draw both for the seat and the car attendant. A good one will help resolve issues.

Schmooze a little with the attendant as much as you can. Smile and make small talk; thank them for everything (like even telling you where to sit when you get on; treat them with respect. When you need them, they'll be more likely to help.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found it not too bad, although I only had to do it for one night at a time. That and I'm a heavy sleeper. haha

San francisco to tampa nex month, 4 trains there and 3 trains back, with a total of 8 nights in couch, wish me luck

I don't get all that great of a night's sleep in a roomette. Every time the engineer blasts the horn, I wake up. If we hit a patch of turbulence ( :lol: ), I wake up. Though, I am sure it is still a better night's sleep than in a chair.

my 360º interactive Superliner Tour http://www.kaemena36...superliner.html
Whoa. That's awesome! That's way better than any pictures/videos I've seen. I want to show my boyfriend a roomette since he isn't sure about the space, but we've never been able to view a roomette from the proper perspective in other pictures/video. (They always look so much smaller.) Thanks!

Personally, I didn't sleep a wink in Coach. The seats are comfortable, but I can't sleep on my back, and it's hard to "snuggle" up and sleep on your side (especially if you don't have a window to lean against). Even with the window, there's a bit of space between the seat and the window, so it's not like leaning against the window in a car. The seat reclines, but not super far (farther than an airplane, though). There's a leg rest, but it only comes to the top of my calves, so my feet were on the metal footrest, which dug in after a while. Ugh.

Also, the lights are dim but not dark, and if you're near the stairwell, you get a TON of light since they leave them on for those walking up/down to the restrooms. You'll also hear foot traffic as people get up during the night. Sometimes, you have to deal with lights from laptops and video games, along with people snoring, kids crying, whispering, etc. Add to that, I'm super uncomfortable sleeping next to someone I don't know, so that right there was weird for me.

Luckily, my trip was only one night, so I was able to catch little naps in my seat the next day (and then crash out once I arrived at my boyfriend's), but a second night would have killed me. I've spent the extra money on a roomette ever since. If you can do it, even for just one night to catch up on sleep, I highly recommend it. Plus you get all your meals in the dining car included, which really adds up.

Your mileage may vary, though. If you can sleep on your back, don't mind sleeping next to a strange person, and can shut out the noise of snorers and babies, you'll be fine. I've heard a lot of people use neck pillows, earplugs, and a sleeping mask and do just fine. Other people wear a hoodie and then pull the hood up at night to block the light and noise.

Just did an overnight on Empire Builder and not much sleep westbound, better on the return. We had full seat to ourselves both ways. I'm another who can't sleep sitting up or on my back and I managed to get reasonably comfortable using the leg rests and scrunching down in the seat. definitely take a blanket - I'm usually hot but needed it overnight. A pillow is a good idea - the ones available aren't the best and I found the pillow covers a but scratchy. I didn't mind train sounds, and I'm usually very noise sensitive! I had taken ear plugs in case I wanted them. I did use a sleep mask - I also like it as dark as possible when I sleep.

Assume you've already booked, but just a hint we weren't aware of when we booked lower level seats in coach. We had only 6 full seats in our coach (seating for 12) and shared it with a few others for the first few hours westbound and then only two others the balance of that leg. On our return we had the coach all to ourselves from Seattle to Whitefish and then had only two others in the car. Quiet all night long compared to people coming/going on upper level. Not sure if lower level coach is the same on all trains, but something to consider. I wouldn't travel coach any other way after this, our first train experience! My trip report is posted if you care to read it. I know how much I appreciated hints and reports when I was waiting for our departure day!

>>Think first class airline seats in a coach compartment. i.e. Crying babies, possibly problem seatmates, possible problem people in other seats talking or phoning or ...

It could be easy. It could be your worst nightmare. Luck of the draw both for the seat and the car attendant. A good one will help resolve issues.

Schmooze a little with the attendant as much as you can. Smile and make small talk; thank them for everything (like even telling you where to sit when you get on; treat them with respect. When you need them, they'll be more likely to help. <<

And above all, think positive. Many of us have slept in coach and lived thru it at great savings, and many of us always go in sleeper and remain above the fray.

Enjoy your trip.

San francisco to tampa nex month, 4 trains there and 3 trains back, with a total of 8 nights in couch, wish me luck
:eek: WOW!! A real Trooper! Hope you can sleep sitting up, be sure and read up on all the tips on this site, stock up on your favorite adult beverage (keep a low profile, technically they are banned in Coach)and good drugs! Prepare to sleep like youre dead when you get there, and then when you get home! Even we old timers who ride all the time probably wouldnt do this in Coach!! May Lots of Good fortune come your way! ^_^

Have slept in coach on the Texas Eagle several times, mostly between either St. Louis or Little Rock and Fort Worth. It can be done, and reasonably comfotrably.

BIG CAVEAT THOUGH..............I have never tried it when I did not have both seats open! I place a pillow at the window, raise leg rests and can lounge diagonally across both seats and be OK.

It would be completely different with a seatmate.

I like the idea of going down to the lower level, though....as long as you don't have a control freak coach car attendant.......on the Eagle, I have rarely seen all the seats used there..

WOW. Thanks for all the information, guys! My verdict is: No stinkin' way can I afford the sleeper, so I'm going to apply the advice you gave and try to get some shut-eye in coach. I'm sure I'll be back soon with more questions, but thanks for this one!

~B

WOW. Thanks for all the information, guys! My verdict is: No stinkin' way can I afford the sleeper, so I'm going to apply the advice you gave and try to get some shut-eye in coach. I'm sure I'll be back soon with more questions, but thanks for this one!

~B
Good luck!

As some have stated, if you're really nice to your car attendant, you might be able to switch seats for the night if you find yourself next to a smelly/noisy seatmate.

Also, when boarding, ask for a window seat if possible. Be super gracious and humble about it; they're usually happy to accommodate if you aren't being pushy (and they have window seats available). If the station is super busy with boarding passengers, though, they might just put you in the first available seat, but you can always ask later if your car attendant seems up to it and the coaches are super full.

It helps when you're not seated near some pinhead who has all the sense of a head of cabbage and who doesn't turn his cell phone off and proceeds to make and take calls, all with a voice that the engineer could hear, long past 1AM. :angry2: :angry2: :angry2:
Just wondering... Where the heck was your CA when this was going on? Getting some quality sleep in the Trans/Dorm? :unsure: What about the Conductor? :blink: With some of the stuff I've witnessed in coach, Amtrak needs to do a better job of not letting the jerks ruin it for the rest, but then they can't throw enough rude people off IMHO. Funny how some CAs are so strict about where and how you sit, but then seem to turn a deaf ear to noisemakers. :wacko:

TO THE OP: As has been stated already: Earplugs, pillow, blanket. To that I would add either an eye mask or a billed cap that you can pull down over your eyes.

~B
Is it possible to buy a sleeper for at least one overnight, so that you can break the coach sections up?

Regarding window seat: I prefer it during the day, but at night if sharing I much prefer the aisle, as I get up frequently in between short sleep periods, and hate to make my seatmate move is he/she is sleeping. - if I can't sleep I walk the train and sometimes the exercise helps me sleep when I get back. Or I'll go in the cafe and read, and/or have a conversation with train crew or other sleepless person.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back