Coach sold out?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickrapak

Service Attendant
Maybe this is just my lack of knowledge, but...

I was looking at the schedules for trains from the East Coast to Chicago for the next week or so, and saw that the Cardinal is completely sold out for 2/3 trips this following week, and the Capitol Ltd. is for most of the next week as well. My question is why don't they just add another coach to the consist? I know that it would be difficult to add a Superliner coach at WAS, but adding another Amfleet to the Cardinal shouldn't be too difficult. Or is Amtrak stretched so thin that almost every coach is needed in active service?

keep in mind the cardinal only runs 3x a week, so the places that are only served by it are in demand. The cardinal would need an Amfleet II coach since its a long distance run. They are pretty short on all east coast single level stuff.

As you said, its hard to add another coach in WAS, however you could add it in CHI and turn it in DC-- however, you'd have to pay more in crew costs.

As for the Cardinal, Amtrak doesn't have a surplus of AFIIs running around, taking one to put on 50/51 would require taking one off 42/43/44 or 48/49, ect.

Even if they add another Superliner coach in CHI to the CL, since all other trains out of WAS use AMI or AMII cars only (not including AE), they would need to send it back on the CL only. Plus, they would need to pay for the crew. And there are not enough extra AMII coaches to add another on to the Cardinal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back