Coast Starlight Lateness

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Daniel

Why has the Starlight these last few months been delayed several hours around the Oregon/California border area? I read that there is trackwork, but man, isn't 5 hour delays along a small section of track a little extreme? What kind of work is going on up there? What section of the route is making all these delays and for how long will this continue?

I'm from Central Florida and took the Coast Starlight for the first time in July a couple of railbuff friends. After taking the Canadian from Toronto to Vancouver, then the Cascades to SEA, which were fantastic compared to anything in the East. After boarding the Coast Starlight the in SEA about 2 hours late due to extremely late arrival the night before (the same morning to be exact), we rode the train without a Pacific Parlour Car which was blamed on vandalism caused by roving gangs shooting out the windows in LAX. After leaving Eugene, OR about 6 hours late we went to bed and woke up in beautiful Dunsmuir, CA. After waiting for Union Pacific to clean up a derailment south of the town we departed town exactly 12 hours late. After learning that it was going to cost a substantial amount of money to change our flight from LAX to ORL, we elected to detrain at RDD and take a Horizon Air flight to LAX which was the cheaper option than rebooking the ORL flight. After arriving in LAX, going to bed at the hotel, boarding the plane and being over West Texas did the Coast Starlight make it into LAX, 19 1/2 hours late.

What's the point of this story? Union Pacific, Union Pacific, Union Pacific! It's amazing that people will tolerate many things on Amtrak (equipment changes, average service, etc.), but what they'll always remember is being late. I'm an Amtrak OBS employee who spends hours of my day at work apologizing for late trains, passengers saying they'll never ride again and only to see them back a month later. Daniel, what I've learned about riding the train is that OTP is a factor best left alone or you'll go insane! :D Take it from someone who experiences OTP Pyscho Passenger Syndrome each week! :blink:

I don't mind arriving at my destination late if I have no connections but I hate departing late. The north bound CS is scheculed to leave at 1:30 am and I hate to wait 2-3 hours for a late train at that time.

Its a disgrace train 11 has been 3-6 hours late into LAX almost everyday this month. This was Amtraks "premier" train until a couple years ago when UP started playing "Sunset" type games with 11/14 dispatch.

Keep the calls coming to Congress, some of our elected officials know the game being played by the administration and host railroads. On another note, did everyone see that Rep Menidez from NY is going take the open Senate seat in the state. Its too bad to see him get off the House transportation committee but hopefully he can continue his pro-rail work in the Senate.

Guest_Amtrak_flyer said:
On another note, did everyone see that Rep Menidez from NY is going take the open Senate seat in the state.  Its too bad to see him get off the House transportation committee but hopefully he can continue his pro-rail work in the Senate.
Rep Menidez is from New Jersey, not New York. We have no vacant Senate seats here in NY. Hilary occupies one seat and Schumer has the other.

Sorry I meant NJ senate position. I was close at least for someone from the west coast!

Guest_Amtrak_flyer said:
Its a disgrace train 11 has been 3-6 hours late into LAX almost everyday this month. This was Amtraks "premier" train until a couple years ago when UP started playing "Sunset" type games with 11/14 dispatch.
Keep the calls coming to Congress, some of our elected officials know the game being played by the administration and host railroads. On another note, did everyone see that Rep Menidez from NY is going take the open Senate seat in the state.  Its too bad to see him get off the House transportation committee but hopefully he can continue his pro-rail work in the Senate.
That!? 3-6 hours? A disgrace? :lol: Not when we compare to June, July and August. Her OTP now (with the usual weekly exception) is averaging over 2 hours more On-Time then the 3 months from hell this summer. Over the past month #11 has been into LAUPT within 30 minutes 3 times. For 3 months, the most on time she EVER came in was 1 hour 58 minutes. This needs to be considered progress, for Amtrak's sake.

trainboy325 said:
I'm from Central Florida and took the Coast Starlight for the first time in July a couple of railbuff friends. After taking the Canadian from Toronto to Vancouver, then the Cascades to SEA, which were fantastic compared to anything in the East. After boarding the Coast Starlight the in SEA about 2 hours late due to extremely late arrival the night before (the same morning to be exact), we rode the train without a Pacific Parlour Car which was blamed on vandalism caused by roving gangs shooting out the windows in LAX. After leaving Eugene, OR about 6 hours late we went to bed and woke up in beautiful Dunsmuir, CA. After waiting for Union Pacific to clean up a derailment south of the town we departed town exactly 12 hours late. After learning that it was going to cost a substantial amount of money to change our flight from LAX to ORL, we elected to detrain at RDD and take a Horizon Air flight to LAX which was the cheaper option than rebooking the ORL flight. After arriving in LAX, going to bed at the hotel, boarding the plane and being over West Texas did the Coast Starlight make it into LAX, 19 1/2 hours late.
What's the point of this story? Union Pacific, Union Pacific, Union Pacific! It's amazing that people will tolerate many things on Amtrak (equipment changes, average service, etc.), but what they'll always remember is being late. I'm an Amtrak OBS employee who spends hours of my day at work apologizing for late trains, passengers saying they'll never ride again and only to see them back a month later. Daniel, what I've learned about riding the train is that OTP is a factor best left alone or you'll go insane! :D Take it from someone who experiences OTP Pyscho Passenger Syndrome each week! :blink:
Boy wasn't that a trip, trainboy? As we both said while flying over California (all over pretty much) "What a shock back to reality!" OBS.... :lol: :D <_<

Thank for some insight into coast starlight. Noticing lateness of arrivals, which is good to know. So what is the current schedule of arrivals from SEA to LAX for this month, especially this time of the year..

Im planning trip down from Ded 29th from SEA TO LAX with my 2 sons. Yes got roomette. thanks to CS person on phone when booking.

looking foward to the ride.

any input or tips would be greatly appreciated.

also does amtrak give out how late their trains are running??

thanks and happy holidays.

latteman

Amtrak has a train status feature on their website and on their automated phone system (1800-872-7245). These can give you the last few days' worth of train information. If you speek directly to an agent (either on the phone or at a station), you can get information further back.

AMTRAK-P42 said:
This needs to be considered progress, for Amtrak's sake.
YouPee strategically plays the same dispatching games each and every summer with the Coast Starlight when ridership is at its peak. If it were to continue year round more heat (from elected and Amtrak officials) would be generated to stop their maliciousness. Because they discontinue the severity of their dispatching practices each fall and only moderately stab the train for the majority of the fall, winter, and spring months it continues to be a great source of frustration for Starlate riders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back