Coast Starlight question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

darien-l

OBS Chief
Hi all,

I'm writing this from the Pacific Parlour car of the northbound Coast Starlight. When I boarded in LA a few hours ago, I noticed that 2 out of 3 sleeper cars (not counting the trans-dorm) are old beat-up Superliner IIs, not the refurbished Superliner Is typical for this train. I asked my sleeper attendant about this, and all he could tell me was that they've been seeing more and more Superliner IIs lately, for what they were told are "operational reasons". Incidentally, the Amtrak Coast Starlight page (http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Route_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241245648567) still says that "this legendary train now features enhanced sleeping cars". Does anyone have any further info?

I don't think the refurbished superliner I cars were ever "guaranteed" on the CS. When I rode the CS last (March 2011), 2 of the 3 sleepers were the un-refurbed superliner IIs and there was only 1 refurbed superliner I in the consist.

Hmm... somehow I was under the impression that Coast Starlight and Empire Builder were the two trains that were guaranteed to have refurbished Superliner I sleepers. When I traveled on CS and EB in 2009 and 2010, all sleepers were refurbs. Was I just lucky?

Hmm... somehow I was under the impression that Coast Starlight and Empire Builder were the two trains that were guaranteed to have refurbished Superliner I sleepers. When I traveled on CS and EB in 2009 and 2010, all sleepers were refurbs. Was I just lucky?
Quick question- what are the prominent differences between refurbished Superliner I Sleepers and Superliner II Sleepers? What makes the 1s a better product than 2s?

Amtrak tries to put refurbished cars on the Starlight and Builder, but there are no guarantees. If they are short cars, they will run whatever is available.

Quick question- what are the prominent differences between refurbished Superliner I Sleepers and Superliner II Sleepers? What makes the 1s a better product than 2s?
Good question! I'm curious about this too as I've heard several different opinions over the years. I know that the truck design is different for the I's but have never really noticed a substantial difference in ride quality or noise levels over the II's. Last year on the CS my SCA (named Frank and claimed to have worked for Amtrak since 1976) lamented about several things one late night while taking a break in the Pacific Parlor. Interesting and opinionated fellow, but one I was happy to talk with.

First off, he said lower-level roomettes are the best bed on the train because of two reasons: the beds line up with the length of the car instead of being positioned sideways in the bedrooms making the sway much nicer to tolerate, and they are low in the center of gravity, again reducing sway and overall movement. Add to that the proximity to the shower, luggage rack, bathrooms and a big lack of noise from people walking back and forth.

But he also made mention that the Pullman-built Superliner I's were several tons heavier than the II's and that made them not only ride better but was indicative of a substantially higher-quality construction. Frank raved about the I's, and loathed the II's for overall value. Then again, he also had nothing but good things to say about the old Heritage sleepers built by Pullman and Budd, saying that if he had to start all over he'd move to Canada and work for VIA in order to get his streamliners back!

Many of the differences are minor and/or mostly cosmetic in nature. There is a much bigger variation between Superliners and Viewliners than there is between any of the individual Superliner types. The one major difference I can think of is that the refurbished cars are less likely to suffer routine failures. Sometimes a failure is the difference between a hot and cold shower while other times it's the difference between a clean floor and one covered in bodily fluids. So, in that sense, it can be a much bigger deal that what you see at first glance.

Last edited by a moderator:
The most obvious difference between refurbished sleepers and unrefurbished ones is that all wall carpeting is replaced by wood paneling. Other differences include improved plumbing, cabinets, sinks, faucets, and other cosmetic touches. Here's what a refurbished Superliner I bedroom looks like: http://www.trainweb.com/mvc/year2005/12/2005l05b/

In refurbished sleepers, the rooms don't typically feel dirty or dark, things work, and I'm not afraid to touch everything.

the beds line up with the length of the car instead of being positioned sideways in the bedrooms making the sway much nicer to tolerate,
Can't say that I agree with this - after many years at sea, roll is much more of a pain in the neck to deal with than pitch. When you're lengthwise (in the train or a ship) and the vehicle rolls, you roll side to side like a log. Pain in the arse.

When you're sleeping side to side and the train sways, you remain in place and it's MUCH easier to sleep.

I don't think the refurbished superliner I cars were ever "guaranteed" on the CS. When I rode the CS last (March 2011), 2 of the 3 sleepers were the un-refurbed superliner IIs and there was only 1 refurbed superliner I in the consist.
Actually, it's supposed to run 100% with Superliner IIs (with the state names). I was surprised when there was a Superliner I on my last trip.

IMO the refurbed sleepers are nicer because they have the curved walls for the bathroom in the bedroom, which makes the shower feel much more spacious.

Actually, it's supposed to run 100% with Superliner IIs (with the state names). I was surprised when there was a Superliner I on my last trip.
That may have been true some time ago, but all the equipment is mixed together without any real dedication of equipment to one route or another (with the exception of the Auto Train).

Even the Empire Builder runs with a mix of Superliner Is (both refurbished and unrefurbished) and Superliner IIs.

And the state names were taken off of the Superliner IIs when they got the new paint jobs. Sometimes you might find them still on the end doors on the upper level, but on many of the cars, those names have rubbed off.

That may have been true some time ago, but all the equipment is mixed together without any real dedication of equipment to one route or another (with the exception of the Auto Train).

Even the Empire Builder runs with a mix of Superliner Is (both refurbished and unrefurbished) and Superliner IIs.

And the state names were taken off of the Superliner IIs when they got the new paint jobs. Sometimes you might find them still on the end doors on the upper level, but on many of the cars, those names have rubbed off.
Unfortunately, Atk's marketing dept. often operates in a different world than the operations dept. in terms of what is realistic to accomplish/maintain...

Like, this spring?
As a matter of practicality, it's impossible to guarantee a particular car type on a particular train. While I've never seen anything but refurbished Superliner Is, at some point other cars must have to pinch hit on that route.
All of the cars with their original end doors still have the names on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back