Coast Starlight - Route 14 - Dead North of SLO

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

StrandedOnAmtrak

I am currently sitting in my sleeper car on the completely darkened Coast Starlight. About 2 hours ago (while eating Amtrak's "gourmet" feast, no less) the train lost power, and batteries kicked in. I just heard over my scanner that both of the motive units are dead, and Union Pacific is sending some helpers up from SLO to tow us back down. Then we might be put on a bus to Oakland or something.

Last year at this time, our trip to Seattle on the same train was cut short because of a tunnel fire south of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Looks like this year it will be cut short, though I imagine the locomotives are still under GE warranty :angry:

Aloha

At the moment Amtrak only reports you 3 hours late in EMY that an hour ahead of my last trip in Oct 04

Good Luck

One question : Are you going 2 Seattle or coming from Seattle ?

I just had the same thing happen to me when I was on that train (I was working the waiter in the diner) and we actually serve whole dinner just sitting outside SLO. Matter of fact we didnt even get to Oakland until almost 4 am in the morning.

Yes, we are (were) headed north. 3 UP helpers met us about 10 miles out of SLO, and we have been towed back into SLO and are currently sitting on the secondary track (no platform access wooooo) with no power or working bathrooms or anything. Scuttlebut is that there are some buses on the way, but we don't know if they'll be taking us to Oakland or back to Los Angeles. I'd really just prefer it if they could take the two loco's idling next to us, but apparently those are committed to 8AM surfliners (though I know Amtrak could easily get replacement units from LAX or OAK up to SLO, but see that would make too much sense and Amtrak tries its best to make the most illogical decisions possible)

I knew Amtrak was always good for a new experience, but they sure took the cake this time.

Anyways thanks for letting me Vent, I'll post another update when I get more info (last official word from the conducter was 4 hours ago heh <3 scanners)

Update now is that the commuter engine that's been idling next to us is being attached to our train now in order to get us to Oakland, but it doesn't have enough fuel at the moment so we won't be able to leave until a tanker truck shows up with some fuel so we can get going. Hopefully they'll keep the helpers for power and just use the commuter enginer for head end power, but my bet is it's going to be trying to get us there solo.

I have to assume Amtrak has a fresh crew, because the last crew change (here in SLO, lol) was about 6 hours ago so these guys will be dead shortly. :/

Amtrak's web site shows you as of posting time getting into SEA at 4:55a, 8:25 late.

(pause for sound of laughter)

"As of the last report at 3:30 am between San Luis Obispo, CA (SLO) and Paso Robles, CA (PRB), it was running 11 hours and 15 minutes late."

If this wasn't so serious, you could put it on Broadway as a farce. "Amtrak Follies", anyone?

Just out of curiosity what would happen to passengers up the line that are not near a major airport if the train was cancelled and they had guaranteed transfers to the Empire Builder. They may also have paid reservations at hotels at the end of their trip.

If a train is that late, they would probably put them in hotels in Portland and put them on the next day's Empire Builder. Hotel reservations (i.e. those made by passengers and missed) are not Amtrak's problem.

In any event, this train will be terminated in Portland...if it makes it that far.

That is not my question. If a train is CANCELLED what is the responsibility of Amtrak to passengers who have not yet boarded the train. In a major city there are agents who could probably put them on a plane. What happens to passengers in smaller cities where there is no agent?

I know that the odds of that happening on my trip are very slim. I am planning an overnight stay in Seattle just to be safe. How would I get to Seattle if the train was cancelled? Would I just try to take a bus and hope to get reinbursed?

I don't know if Amtrak has a set policy on train cancellations. What they do seems to vary from incident to incident.

If anyone is interested, visit http://www.railroadradio.net/ and click on "San Francisco Bay Area". You can listen to a live scanner feed from any where between slightly south of OAK and north of EMY (near Martinez). I have been listening for an hour or 2 to hear #14. As of 10:07am it had just left EMY and is now on its way north. They had #6 (CZ) wait at EMY for transferring passengers. #6 left, and #14 followed shortly thereafter.

denmarks said:
That is not my question. If a train is CANCELLED what is the responsibility of Amtrak to passengers who have not yet boarded the train. In a major city there are agents who could probably put them on a plane. What happens to passengers in smaller cities where there is no agent?
I know that the odds of that happening on my trip are very slim. I am planning an overnight stay in Seattle just to be safe. How would I get to Seattle if the train was cancelled? Would I just try to take a bus and hope to get reinbursed?
Lemme give ya a little piece of advice, here. If you are concerned about connections, etc. within your situation, I recommend you puchase travel insurance. If you chose to do so, be sure to shop around and make sure they are able to cover those things of which may be of concern. Whenever I travel with any transportaion provider whether it airline, rail, or bus, I buy travel insurance! The same goes for expensive hotel packages, cruises, etc. I have only had to file a claim one time in all my travels. But the time I did so, it saved me over a thousand dollars! The rail/hotel/cruise package I had booked was paid in full with no refunds or exchanges. Thank God for the travel insurance policy! You will need to call Amtrak regarding the questions you have posted, and be sure to get clear and precise info as well as the names of those you talk with. But insurance is a good way to go if your situation warrants it. For a smaller trip, I sorta insure myself on my own with some "back up" cash should plans need to be changed such as my recent trip at the end of July which happens to be on the train your going on. Good luck. OBS...

For one, quite unfortunate, example of what might happen if a train is cancelled, a couple of days ago the eastbound Texas Eagle developed a hot bearing on its engine (21/22 generally run with only one locomotive). The train was terminated in Longview. Passengers on board the train were bused to their destinations. Those waiting to board at downline stations were not provided any alternate transportation, and were on their own.

Of course, I think this is a bad policy, but, unfortunately, it seems to be the norm when a long-distance train is cancelled/annulled that passengers at downline stations are SOL. However, there are times when this is not the case.

I have to admit that this community is pretty leet. It's too bad that it took the frustration of a 12 hour delay (more like 14 hours now...) to find it, but alas I digress.

At the moment (~2130 PST) we are pulling into Klamath Falls, and the last word was the Coast Starlate was going to be terminated in Portland and we would be bused to our final destination (Seattle). Alas, we have been told to expect to arrive in Portland around 430 in the morning =/ The bright side is that we will get into Seattle sooner than we would have if we were going straight through on the train, but waking up at 330 and getting dressed and whatnot is going to be balls.

Anyways, I have to hand it to Amtrak, as we boarded expecting an adventure and we got one that was more than we ever could have imagined.

I'm glad that passengers will finially get to Seatle. Since I am planning to stay overnight in Seattle on my next trip, I guess I would still make my connection to the EB with plenty of time to spare if I was on this train.

Is this the latest that the train has ever been? Please followup with the final arrival times. Amtrak web site gave up showing status on this train.

denmarks said:
Is this the latest that the train has ever been? Please followup with the final arrival times. Amtrak web site gave up showing status on this train.
Oh no, most definitely not. Over the past 3 months a few have been 15-19 hours late, and I know one was about 24 hours. This is unfortunately not to rare anymore. This however cannot compare to one of the latest Amtrak's ever (the sunset of course) when it was 68 1/2 hours late into LAUPT last year.

Guest said:
How does a train become 68 1/2 hours late ?
UP%20LOCOMOTIVE.JPG

and this.

Subject: We're a great big rollin' railroad

We're a great big rollin' railroad

One that everyone can see

'Cause we're Usually Parked on sidings

That's why we're called U.P.

We're a million tons of cargo

Just a rottin' in the sun

We're the Union Pacific

And our meltdown's just begun

From the plugged up yard in Roseville, Chicago, Englewood

To our mainline filled with cars

It's a big congested mess

Like a railroad version of SARS

We're a thousand wheels of freight train

All being held for power

We're the Union Pacific

Makin' half a mile an hour

Bound from Chicago to Portland

Our customers are in luck

'Cause we're setting out their cargos

To load it all on trucks

With Amtrak stuck in Oakland

And in Denver and L.A. and Chicago and New Orelans

We're the Union Pacific

And you're not gonna move today

From the Valley to Dusimuir

We are runnin' out of crews

But we'll deliver your great cargo

'Cause we're usin' DPU's

We're much safer and efficient

All thanks to remote control

We're the Union Pacific

Our bean counters say it's so

With our copyrighted emblem

We're gonna make 'em bleed

And the beatings will continue

'Til our tired crews succeed

Our investors are all waiting

With the shippers on their knees

We're the Union Pacific

We'll deliver when we please...

AMTRAK-P42 said:
If anyone is interested, visit http://www.railroadradio.net/ and click on "San Francisco Bay Area". You can listen to a live scanner feed from any where between slightly south of OAK and north of EMY (near Martinez). I have been listening for an hour or 2 to hear #14. As of 10:07am it had just left EMY and is now on its way north. They had #6 (CZ) wait at EMY for transferring passengers. #6 left, and #14 followed shortly thereafter.
The switch between Dispatcher 58 (SJC-OKJ) and D-62 (EMY-SAC) is just south of the Emeryville station. I just came back from driving SAC-PDX-SEA because 14 has run so late recently.

Back