Complaint with Amtrak Conductor

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So let me say it again in a different way. Is there supposed to be a "Call button" in Amtrak sleeping cars that alerts the SCA who will then come to the compartment where this imaginary "Call button" was pressed?

If there is, what does it look like? I ask you again - what does this "Call button" look like? Does anyone know?

I have pressed buttons that seemed to be such on my last 8 Amtrak trips - no effect within an hour.

So either I've been pressing the wrong button - and I would appreciate any help on finding a button that called the SCA - or else the button is broken. Or else --

But please - don't give me logical nonsense that I don't know what I've experienced. OK?
You've either been pressing the wrong button or I don't know. But on a Superliner it's pretty easy to know if the button is working. Heck, unless one is wearing headphones, the whole car knows when you've pushed it, as one can hear the chime altering the attendant that the button has indeed been pushed.

Now whether or not the attendant actually responds is another question; although in my extensive experience, most do. Some more enthusiastically than others, but most do. I've even had attendants tell me to push the button in the morning when I go to breakfast so that they can do one of those things that you don't seem to think they do, make up the beds and change the linens.

Finally, as noted by Jishnu, there have been issues with the buttons working in the Viewliner cars, but that is slowly being fixed.

By the way, on a Superliner, it's a yellow round button that you push in. To reset the call bell, one pulls out the button.

Last edited by a moderator:
But if you ride often enough you will see them again and again year after year until they retire. That is my experience anyway.
Very true. And they remember who they see too. Like good tippers and bad tippers. Pax they like. And pax they don't.
So I can't expect good service in the future because I didn't tip well enough for bad service in the past? That's good to know. Ironically, much of the bad behavior I witness by the staff is not actually directed toward me personally. More often than not it's directed toward passengers who are new to the Amtrak experience and don't know how to avoid the irritation and admonition of the less tolerant staff. Not to mention that even if I were willing and able to tip everyone handsomely it still wouldn't fix every problem. For instance, try tipping your way past a curmudgeonly conductor who refuses to sell you an empty bedroom. Ain't gonna happen.

Yeah, I can shrug off the indifferent crew members.

Maybe part of it too is that all of my trips have been Coach, I just sorta accept Coach as it being what it is?

I depart tomorrow for my first trip via sleeper, so maybe thats when I will start noticing differences between crew members, and levels of service, then I can really compare how I was treated in Coach vs Sleeper. Maybe things will become easier to understand once I see what the difference is or can be. Right?

Im taking the Crescent to New York on Saturday morning, so thats either going to be a New Orleans based crew or a New York based crew. I hear that the New York based crew can be a bit.....ummm.indifferent maybe is the best word there. I had the New Orleans based crew on the CONO last year, and it was a fun experience, they were cordial and fun and just really laid back.

I know there are more factors involved, but I do understand what others are trying to get across too.

Ant
I'll be on the crescent as well on Sat w/ my mom. Stop by and say hello, we'll board in Atlanta.

For instance, try tipping your way past a curmudgeonly conductor who refuses to sell you an empty bedroom. Ain't gonna happen.
Conductors? I thought SCAs were the topic. :unsure:
You seem to have missed the rest of my post. Here you go...

But if you ride often enough you will see them again and again year after year until they retire. That is my experience anyway.
Very true. And they remember who they see too. Like good tippers and bad tippers. Pax they like. And pax they don't.
So I can't expect good service in the future because I didn't tip well enough for bad service in the past? That's good to know. Ironically, much of the bad behavior I witness by the staff is not actually directed toward me personally. More often than not it's directed toward passengers who are new to the Amtrak experience and don't know how to avoid the irritation and admonition of the less tolerant staff. Not to mention that even if I were willing and able to tip everyone handsomely it still wouldn't fix every problem. For instance, try tipping your way past a curmudgeonly conductor who refuses to sell you an empty bedroom. Ain't gonna happen.

So I can't expect good service in the future because I didn't tip well enough for bad service in the past? That's good to know.
Tipping really is only a piece of this. Want good repeat service? Be nice to the help. That applies everywhere. Does it ensure good service? No. But it sure increases the odds.
Ironically, much of the bad behavior I witness by the staff is not actually directed toward me personally. More often than not it's directed toward passengers who are new to the Amtrak experience and don't know how to avoid the irritation and admonition of the less tolerant staff.
That is not what you seem to imply when you talk about repeat service.
Not to mention that even if I were willing and able to tip everyone handsomely it still wouldn't fix every problem.
See my first answer in this post.

I have seen very inconsistent service as well. I've seen some consistently *really* good coach and sleeper attendants (they got good tips) and diner car crews, lots of "average", and personally I've never seen "really bad" except once -- placing Syracuse-bound passengers in an Amfleet I at Chicago when there are Amfleet IIs available is unacceptable. To give him the benefit of the doubt, I'm not sure he realized where Syracuse was (i.e. that we wouldn't be getting off until noon).

In stations, I've seen lots of good, some average, and some atrocious -- the worst were the Red Caps at LA who failed to respond for a full hour to a call to assist a disabled passenger.

I'm not sure how Amtrak can increase consistency. If I were to make any generalizations, I'd say that the really old hands are mostly excellent; the really young hands are, if not necessarily skilled, mostly really eager beavers who are trying hard; and there's much less reliability in the middle age brackets. Something to do with the history of Amtrak's hiring, perhaps?

-- Regarding call buttons:

The Viewliner call buttons *have never worked*. They *are not connected*. The attendants therefore do not point them out. Apparently there is a project to retrofit Viewliners to make the call buttons work.

The Superliner call buttons do work and the attendants do point them out. Though I have had trouble calling the attendant with the call button -- usually they turned out to be eating dinner or lunch or breakfast.

The *absolute best* sleeper attendants *told* me what times they'd be going to meals and to bed, so that I knew to get them before those times. This made life easier for both of us.

The fact that this is not standard practice is, well, another sign that Amtrak doesn't have a good, consistent training program for sleeper attendants.

The Viewliner call buttons *have never worked*. They *are not connected*. The attendants therefore do not point them out. Apparently there is a project to retrofit Viewliners to make the call buttons work.
Absolutely NOT true!

They've not worked properly since the TV screens were removed, due to the intertwining of the PA, call buttons, and the TV's when originally installed. But I can assure you that they worked prior to the removal of the TV screens. Since the removal, it's hit or miss, but again as cars cycle through for their annual checks and minor refurbishments, they seem to be fixing the issues that caused the PA & call buttons to stop working after the removal of the TV's.

That's right! It's only been 41 years. They are trying so hard and it's going to take time.

If MANAGEMENT would start by ESTABLISHING consistent service REQUIREMENTS on each train (particularly Business Class expectations), THEN they can start working on the employees.

I hope to see real progress by 2053.
In the world of private enterprise, be it a large department store chain, a restaruant, a fast-food outlet, "mystery shoppers" continually monitor the establishment's adherance to Standard Operating Procedures. It shouldn't take any company 41 years to get it right--even a government-run, taxpayer-subsized entitiy like Amtrak. But this forum would be far less entertaining if it weren't for the problems one encounters in doing business with Amtrak--from on-time perofrmance to customer service. :rolleyes:

again as cars cycle through for their annual checks and minor refurbishments, they seem to be fixing the issues that caused the PA & call buttons to stop working after the removal of the TV's.
I'll be unhappy when the PAs start working.

On the western trains, there is WAY TOO MUCH CHATTER on the PA system. On the eastern trains, the Viewliners are nice and quiet.

That's right! It's only been 41 years. They are trying so hard and it's going to take time.

If MANAGEMENT would start by ESTABLISHING consistent service REQUIREMENTS on each train (particularly Business Class expectations), THEN they can start working on the employees.

I hope to see real progress by 2053.
In the world of private enterprise, be it a large department store chain, a restaruant, a fast-food outlet, "mystery shoppers" continually monitor the establishment's adherance to Standard Operating Procedures. It shouldn't take any company 41 years to get it right--even a government-run, taxpayer-subsized entitiy like Amtrak. But this forum would be far less entertaining if it weren't for the problems one encounters in doing business with Amtrak--from on-time perofrmance to customer service. :rolleyes:
Back in the '60s, I knew a guy that worked for a major oil company whose job it was to go to gas stations and ask for a fillup while evaluating the restroom cleanliness, whether the attendant greeted him properly, checked the oil, cleaned the windshield, etc.Of course, that stuff doesn'r exist any more. He would write up an evaluation, push a button that pumped 5 gallons or so from his tank to a hidden supplementary tank then go on to the next station.

Back in the early '80s when traveling on Amtrak on the SWC, I remember being told that Santa Fe refused to allow Amtrak to use the old Santa Fe names for the trains name because Santa Fe's "hidden" train checkers' evaluations of Amtrak's service on the route showed that the service level would be insulting to the reputation of the trains if Amtrak used the names.

I'd volunteer to take a number of trips every year at Amtrak's expense but without salary and perform/report evaluations of service levels. :giggle:

You can sign up with these various mystery shopping companies and get invites to various mystery shopping jobs, although you may only get paid $5 or $10 above the cost of the meal or activity.

Amtrak's method of rating customer service is through CSI scores (Customer Satisfaction Index) and they do have lots of categories that they ask questions in. On the corridor trains, they always do high, but I have not seen CSI scores for the long distance trains nor the categories that they use.

You can sign up with these various mystery shopping companies and get invites to various mystery shopping jobs, although you may only get paid $5 or $10 above the cost of the meal or activity.

Amtrak's method of rating customer service is through CSI scores (Customer Satisfaction Index) and they do have lots of categories that they ask questions in. On the corridor trains, they always do high, but I have not seen CSI scores for the long distance trains nor the categories that they use.
I just got a "Customer Satisfaction Survey" for a recent trip on Amtrak. I'm trying to recall the trip specifics and also wondering, as always, what the scale means. And whether to be naively honest or strategic.

Mostly -- and before I retired I was rated on these types of scales -- how is a 1-10 (or in the Amtrak survey 1-100) scale normalized to anything? When I was rated on a 1-10 scale we were all told that we were shooting for top scores in the 8-10 range - and told we made that. Huuh?

When I was doing health care stuff - a patient - in no obvious distress - rated her pain as a 10 on the 1-10 scale. I've seen people with kidney stones and gout and heart attacks - their pain they couldn't even get breath to describe, but was probably in the 8-10 range - but they couldn't even say so.

So how to guess what a Customer Survey regards as bad - good -excellent?

What scale - in measurable terms - can I use to rate Amtrak?

My trip was good, on time, SCA and diner staff did all expected - is that 100 - ? or should I save a few points of the scale for "made me feel totally wanted and respected as a passenger - and maybe massaged my feet?

How to rate the feedback scale?

again as cars cycle through for their annual checks and minor refurbishments, they seem to be fixing the issues that caused the PA & call buttons to stop working after the removal of the TV's.
I'll be unhappy when the PAs start working.

On the western trains, there is WAY TOO MUCH CHATTER on the PA system. On the eastern trains, the Viewliners are nice and quiet.
I agree. And as far as I know, you can't turn off the speaker in the hallway of the sleeper car, which is often VERY loud so that with your door closed it still is loud.

One time I was on the Zephyr and the dining car began announcing breakfast very early, around 6, every 10 minutes of so, yelling "WAKEY wakey wakey!" at the beginning of each announcement. Sheesh...

The fact that this is not standard practice is, well, another sign that Amtrak doesn't have a good, consistent training program for sleeper attendants.
Here's the thing, and I speak from experience.

I work for a company with a phenomenal customer service training program, and we have weekly meetings to reinforce some of the main points.

Those of us who already provide top-notch service and receive compliments from customers really don't need the follow-up, since being helpful and polite comes naturally to us, but we pay attention just in case a procedure has changed.

Those who provide less-than-stellar service roll their eyes and tune out during the meetings because of their "whatever" attitude. We spend our days cleaning up after these people and putting out their fires.

It's not a fault of the training program; it's the fault of those employees not receiving enough feedback. The managers have no idea what kind of service those employees provide because nobody tells them. Similarly, those of us who receive compliments on a daily basis rarely get accolades because, again, customers only speak up when they want to complain and never have the person's name. It's just a generic, "You people suck."

Bottom line: If you are unhappy with an employee, obtain their name somehow, and write a complaint to their manager. Be specific, avoid insults, and don't use lots of caps lock and exclamation points. As a former supervisor, I took complaints a lot more seriously when the person presented a situation with details rather than shrieking like a five-year old with a temper tantrum. It's obvious the person is upset; I don't need "OMG THEY WERE SO MEAN!!!!!!!!" to get that point across. I can "hear you" just fine.

On the flip side, if you are really happy with an employee, please please please obtain their name and send a letter to their manager. Too often, managers only hear about the bad seeds, not the good apples. The good apples deserve recognition too. :)

Nathanael - I'm addressing everyone with this, not you specifically. I'm simply replying to your post because you mentioned training issues. You could have the most consistent training program in the world, but in the end, everyone is human, and everyone will interpret that training differently (or ignore it completely). People see the world in shades of grey, so when it comes to something like a rule that says (for example), "Let the guests know when you are going to dinner," an employee might think, "I'll just leave a note on my door. That's easier/sufficient," instead of, "I should provide my meal timeline to every passenger as I greet them in their rooms." Too many people consider what's quick/easy/good enough instead of what's better for the customers. Technically, having a note on their door does communicate they're gone for a meal, but telling the passengers when they're going ensures better service because the passengers can plan for that in advance. That's the difference between a decent employee and a GREAT employee.

Part of me wants to see the bad SCAs booted because I would LOVE to work as an SCA. ;) Heck, I'd be a ticket agent. Anything. I just really, really want to work for Amtrak someday.

Hi Sorcha! Ive been a Customer of the Company you work for (State Farm) for over 40 years and an Amtrak Rider since A Day1!!! No comparison in Service!! While Customer Relations and Service has improved recently @ Amtrak,(a Few Exceptions, notably Chicago and some OBS on the Trains!!) they still need to hire some Trainers from Disney or State Farm to conduct a NEW Training Program for In Service and New Hire Training! As the Old Timers retire and Fade away, lots of Younger People have never had any kind of Training in Social Skills,Manners,Self Motivation, Business Operations etc. Also, as you said, the Managers and Suits need to quit Riding Desks and get out and Ride the Trains!

As to working for Amtrak, there's an Old saying, "Be careful what you ask for, you might get it!" <_< (although Im sure youd be a Dynamite Employee! :) )

I didn't know Amtrak employed "Dynamite Employees". Are they doing some mountain work? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Jim. :) I think I'd really enjoy it, but we need to move to Chicago first. I don't live in a hub city, so I never see any postings.

I'm sure it will happen some day. We've been talking about moving there next summer.

I should find out where AGR is based. That could be a fun job too.

How to rate the feedback scale?
There are overall scales and scales for each of the questions. The primary focus that Amtrak has is to look at the fluctuation of the numbers over time. So if the score on the restroom goes down by 7 points over the past three months, that is cause for concern. (And the restroom scores have historically been the lowest category on the corridor trains).

I should find out where AGR is based. That could be a fun job too.
Beyond the small contingent at Headquarters in DC, I believe that the bulk of AGR workers are in Philly and some place in California.
Los Angeles
The AGR people, wherever they are, have been most helpful - in my recent experience.

Last November at MSP before e-tickets I stopped at the station to get my AGR ticket printed - the total rookie at the ticket desk did a "what huh - dont see nothing about any reservation"

Called AGR on my mobi, the agent there says - yeah - you are reserved. I asked her to speak with the noob ticket agent and handed him the phone. Don't know what she said, but I think his ears were burning. 2 minutes later he had learned something and I had my ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back