Complete utter newbie just looking for ideas/direction

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Ash

Hey all,

My name is Ash, last year I took the starlight on a trip from emeryville to SLO, for some things I had to take care of, and found I really enjoyed the trip. It stirred up the idea of consolidating my current working rig (I do audio editing and mixing) down to a couple of laptops, and trying to get myself out of the studio cage/caves and work while on the train, taking inthe scenory and stopping off in random towns, via the rail pass.

I however don't have much experience with the trains, and routes, and will likely be dreaming up ideas that might not be feasable, so I'm looking to seasoned travelers to help point me in the right direction, or help seperate grounded notions from the delusional ones.

I hope it's ok for me to jsut drop some quesitons here in this post, and that I'm not breaking any forum rules.

I'll try to keep it concise, though I'd love to share more, if anyone is interested to get some suggestions (stops) from those who might have some ideas.

I don't plan on having many actual destinations set in stone. I know that planning in advance is the best, and I'm not concerned about being nickle and dimed if it comes down to it, but is it really that much of a problem to jsut pick a destination that day?

Must I pick an actual destination with the rail pass, or can I just pick a route?

If I pick a destination, am I allowed to get off the trainat an earlier spot without any repercussions.

The idea is to pick up some editing work which I can do on the train and upload via wi-fi or at stops at cafe's/hostels/hotels/friend's places. But I also want to do some creative things like play acoustic shows, as well as a video blog about sound and recording in different cities/environments. So spur of the moment stops would be great. How would I go about getting the best value and experience for something like this on a train?

I may try to crowdfund some aspects of this, such as the sound/recording stuff, relating it to a specific niche of work that I do, and creating a product via that, but I'd really like to focus on changing the concepts that have plagued the studio environment and actually GET (telecommute) work that I do on the train, and while travelling. Do you think this is jsut too far fetched, and I should slow my roll a little?

I've tested some of what I need for work, and have been streamlining it, and plan a bigger test going from Emeryville to ABQ sometime in April. Any suggestions for things I should look out for, or be aware of, or just to even try, that might prepare/come up on a longer outing?

any help, suggestions, ideas, or whatever would be great. I've never done anything like this, and am unsure if I'm just dreaming big, or making for something actually doable.

thanks

The only suggestion I have is to pre-plan your "segments" as much as possible. The Rail Passes have limits to the number of "segments" you can use during each trip. A "segment" is defined as when you get on the train to when you get off the train. So, if you decide to hop off at a random town instead of the one you'd planned on, that segment has just ended. Then, when you go to the next town and get off, that's another segment. Instead of using one, you just used two.

Railpass is a coach ticket. Good for looking out the window. Not so good for trying to do complicated work. My suggestion... go on a couple of trips without carrying a bunch of work stuff. Just get on, ride, and decide if you can work in the coach atmosphere. Additionally, the Railpass ticket is not easily changed on the spur of the moment.

I guarantee you will relax and enjoy traveling on the train. Beyond that, it just depends on how you are wired. I find myself daydreaming and staring out the window watching the beautiful countryside go by even when my intentions are to read a book. Don't know that I would every accomplish any 'real' work.

I have seen lots of people editing audio on the train in coach seats. I sometimes peer over their shoulder to see what kind of software and how many tracks they are working with (I use Adobe Audition).

Most if not all trains have a cafe car with better tables for working on than the fold-down seat tables.

You will want good headphones - not just as courtesy to other riders, but to help block out extraneous sounds as well.

Some stations have wifi connnections that you could use for up and downloading work. Some don't. You can travel with a wifi hotspot and get good connectivity in fairly well populated areas.

I wouldn't bring a whole load of gear on your first trips, but a laptop and headphones are quite manageable and if you are not distracted by the view or talking to people, I think you could get some useful work done. Night times are quieter in the cars, and of course the scenery won't be a distraction then.

Having said this - I once went coast to coast with an album project I was mixing down for a friend in my laptop, and I got darned little work done - not because it wasn't practical, but because I enjoy interacting with other riders and staring out the windows a lot more.

Good luck. PM me to compare notes if you feel like it...

Edit: to PM you'll have to join the forum, which I recommend anyway on general principles!

Last edited by a moderator:
Will you be manipulating existing files or capturing new audio?

I am in somewhat of the same brain storming phase you are.

I work in a virtual office environment, much of the work being accomplished via emails, phone calls, and offline to online connections.

My thinking is that I would get more work done if I had a roomette for my longer distances, as not only would I be more rested, I'm more productive with some alone time at night when the views aren't as compelling to away my focus.

Honestly, I've been kicking around the idea of buying a 30 day rail pass and bringing alone a cushion of money to grab a roomette if I see a low bucket on an upcoming leg.

Bringing my iPad that has 3G along with a secondary portable wifi answer.

Though, it is tough as one of the most charming aspects of train travel, imho, are the people that I meet along the way. I'd have to be more disciplined as one night on the CZ I spent 4 hours chatting with a new dinner partner. Time can quickly fly by!

Using Emeryville as a staring point, you might want to try using the California Zephyr next. Some great places to look into for 'stopping off' points on the Zephyr route would include Truckee, CA or Reno, NV. If you want to continue overnight, Glenwood Springs, CO and Denver are also stops you might find interesting.

Happy travels!

You have to figure your stops in advance, you can't just hop off, hop on, since most trains are reserved. The rail pass is just a way to get a break in the fare, you still have to have reservations for each segment.

If you don't use a Railpass, amsnag.net is a great resource for choosing the dates that have the lowest fares. Your plan sounds very exciting. Good luck to you and welcome to AU! The regulars here are very helpful and knowledgeable.

Another thing about the segments is (as said) that it's whenever you get off a train or bus!

Example:

• Emeryville to Chicago is all one train - thus 1 segment for 2,000 miles or so
  • San Francisco to Emeryville is one bus - thus another segment for only a few miles
Thus depending on the route a segment could be either 2,000 miles or 5 miles.

Yes and no. Some short trips are better to pay for then to use a segment. However that can't be be done for this example. California law requires an Amtrak train portion on the ticket if there is an Amtrak bus on the same fare. However, you could pay for (say) a bus/train ticket from SF to Martinez and then use 1 segment rom Martinez to Chicago.

If the OP doesn't mind me interjecting questions, if I was looking to grab roomettes along my trip, would it be better to use the USA Rail pass and plan the legs as I see the lowest bucket fare - or is would it be better to book the leg and roomette at the same time with a AAA discount. I'd honestly, probably be looking at 15-20 days of train time over 30 days and I'm somewhat flexible on my segments.

If the OP doesn't mind me interjecting questions, if I was looking to grab roomettes along my trip, would it be better to use the USA Rail pass and plan the legs as I see the lowest bucket fare - or is would it be better to book the leg and roomette at the same time with a AAA discount. I'd honestly, probably be looking at 15-20 days of train time over 30 days and I'm somewhat flexible on my segments.
Well part of your answer lies with the answer to: Is your trip within the next 6 months?

If yes, then you could play it either way and probably should look at both scenario's.

If no, then I'd book things using AAA right now as prices on rooms could increase between now the time that you could book using the pass. And that increase could be far greater than any savings from the pass.

Go for it! I've picked up a train riding addiction and I'm so more productive with work on the train than I am back home. The cafe car is perfect for putting all your papers and computers down and just working. Also, prices of seats/rooms are based on how many have been sold and not departure date. A lot of times I notice a ticket for same day may be the same price, or sometimes even cheaper, than a seat for the same route 2 weeks out.

I would not "waste" a Railpass segment on the Amtrak bus from San Francisco to Emeryville. Instead I would take BART to Oakland (MacArthur station, I think?) and the free Emery-Go-Round shuttle van from there to the Emeryville Amtrak station. I think others have posted somewhere here the exact routing for this option to get from San Francisco to Emeryville.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back