Concerned about TSA at major stations.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw two uniformed TSA agents with blue gloves on standing outside chicago uniin station on Monday. But they were just talking to one another and didn't appear to actually be searching folks. They were on Canal street near the taxis.

Last time I went through Chicago, Amtrak police were randomly pulling people aside and going through their bags. Next trip, I'm taking the bus - and that's sad. I love the train, but not enough to accept a 4th Amendment violation to ride it.
IMHO, this is the type of thing I want to see. Selective security by trained law enforcement. I think there needs to be a certain amount of security, just make sure its done in a smart way. If there ever was an attack, we'd quickly descend into airport-style security - it's better to have some security measures up front. Amtrak makes it quite clear what security measures you may be subjected to upfront and I think random screening of bags by law enforcement is fine.

All joking aside, can they remove you if you're just in WAS doing business at one of the many stores without actually intending to ride a train? My family and I did that back in 2003, rode METRO into Union Station for dinner in the food court, looked around, saw the gates, then returned to our hotel via METRO.
Wouldnt worry about during business hours of the stores and food court/returants in Union Station.
Not many stores are open at 2 AM!
mosking.gif
(I only found 1, Au Bon Pain [sp]) But during business hours, no problem. After all, that's what they're in business for!
rolleyes.gif

Once again. Is the TSA going to protect and guard every single mile of trackage in the USA? Are they going to have a presence at the numerous unstaffed stations scattered all over the country?

Even if you hired 1,000,000 officers, railroads can never be completely secured. A terrorist wouldn't have to board a train at a major city or at all. All they would have to do is to damage the tracks that ride on the edge of a valley or near a bridge. If terrorists hike over a mountain and destroy some tracks in a remote area, how are they going to protect against that?

There was an incident last year when some "vandals" derailed an entire NS coal train (I believe in PA) by just placing a RR tie across the rails. Many cars left the rails but thankfully there were no deaths as it was a freight train. Damage was extensive, all from a single RR tie.. IMO terrorists are not going to risk boarding a train; they will just take the path of least resistance.

The TSA menace is not for our safety. It is just a part of a bigger plan to control the US population. The people behind this are the Globalists, Financiers, Corporatists and World Bankers. Presdient Obama like his predecessor is just a figure head that takes orders from these people. Look how he has changed since he has become president. The man now supports war. At least for the time being he still likes Amtrak!

Last edited by a moderator:
All I can say is don't ride the train in China. Most would be appalled at the security one must go through just to get in the station. At Shanghai Railway Station you have to go through airport style screening with luggage going through an x-ray machine and passengers going through a magnetometer. Riding the subway? Anyone carrying a bag is subject to security check as well with the bag going through an x-ray machine. They even do this during rush hour in a city of 19 million people.

Like many of you I do believe that the alleged war on terrorism is really an attack on our civil rights and that the purpose of homeland security is to protect the government from us.

Even right here in San Francisco I see how selective fare inspectors are in their enforcement, and we are just a local transit agency that stops at the county line. The fare inspectors are all over the tourists or suburbanites going to the museums in the park etc.; but let some thugs in their gang attire get on the trains, or even just passengers from touchy ethnic groups, and the fare inspectors will not approach them.

But perhaps you can help me with a question which affects me personally. I shall be going from San Francisco to Orlando the beginning of next month and haven't ridden Amtrak in years, and I am a Type 1 diabetic. This means that I shall by carrying insulin and syringes. What security measures does Amtrak have for this? I want to keep the fact that I have these medical items with me as quiet as possible because there are no sleeping rooms available for me so I have no way of locking these things up. Can I count on Amtrak to be discreet?

The TSA menace is not for our safety. It is just a part of a bigger plan to control the US population. The people behind this are the Globalists, Financiers, Corporatists and World Bankers.
Wow. Just....wow. It's been a while since I have read such a bitter and utterly baseless statement. You've made it more than obvious that you think every single one of TSA's 55,000+ employees is somehow a "thug," and that you have a significant animosity towards air travel, the TSA, and now apparently bankers too, since they evidently now control the TSA (how do you take yourself seriously with statements like this anyway?). I don't believe these kind of incongruous opinions are at all necessary on a board such as this. Please keep them to yourself.

The TSA menace is not for our safety. It is just a part of a bigger plan to control the US population. The people behind this are the Globalists, Financiers, Corporatists and World Bankers.
Wow. Just....wow. It's been a while since I have read such a bitter and utterly baseless statement. You've made it more than obvious that you think every single one of TSA's 55,000+ employees is somehow a "thug," and that you have a significant animosity towards air travel, the TSA, and now apparently bankers too, since they evidently now control the TSA (how do you take yourself seriously with statements like this anyway?). I don't believe these kind of incongruous opinions are at all necessary on a board such as this. Please keep them to yourself.
dlagrua's opinions were completely on topic, and I for one am pretty much in agreement with him. It should be noted that he said "world bankers" not just "bankers," he wasn't suggesting the bank down the road from where I live is in control of the TSA.

Also.. where did he mention in this post that TSA employees are "thugs"? He referred to the TSA as a whole, as a menace, which I for one 100% agree with.

Please keep sharing your on-topic, and relevant thoughts dlagrua. :)

dlagrua's opinions were completely on topic, and I for one am pretty much in agreement with him. It should be noted that he said "world bankers" not just "bankers," he wasn't suggesting the bank down the road from where I live is in control of the TSA.

Also.. where did he mention in this post that TSA employees are "thugs"? He referred to the TSA as a whole, as a menace, which I for one 100% agree with.

Please keep sharing your on-topic, and relevant thoughts dlagrua. :)
Oh forgive me, the world* bankers evidently now control TSA. How silly of me. He has labeled TSA employees as "thugs" numerous times in other posts. Remember, front-line TSA agents are only doing their jobs. If you want to complain, take it higher.

Your sign-up date indicates that you've been around for awhile. However, you seem to be surprised by AU's 'tin-foil hat wearing conspiracy theorist/germaphobe'.

BobWeaver, meet dlagrua...

The dude can certainly be 'off the hook' some/most times. :D

Like many of you I do believe that the alleged war on terrorism is really an attack on our civil rights and that the purpose of homeland security is to protect the government from us.

Even right here in San Francisco I see how selective fare inspectors are in their enforcement, and we are just a local transit agency that stops at the county line. The fare inspectors are all over the tourists or suburbanites going to the museums in the park etc.; but let some thugs in their gang attire get on the trains, or even just passengers from touchy ethnic groups, and the fare inspectors will not approach them.

But perhaps you can help me with a question which affects me personally. I shall be going from San Francisco to Orlando the beginning of next month and haven't ridden Amtrak in years, and I am a Type 1 diabetic. This means that I shall by carrying insulin and syringes. What security measures does Amtrak have for this? I want to keep the fact that I have these medical items with me as quiet as possible because there are no sleeping rooms available for me so I have no way of locking these things up. Can I count on Amtrak to be discreet?

Hi, San Franciscan

I am an insulin dependent diabetic myself and travel on Amtrak in addition to having worked for them for 35+ years. If you travel I would recommend that you pack your syringes, insulin, and meter in a small travel kit. I see no need to hide the fact that you need to give yourself an injection that is needed for your life to be normal. I have discreetly given myself injections at the table in the dining car, but if you must take your kit with your supplies to a restroom and give yourself an injection. I will tell you that Amtrak don't provide a used sharps container. You must take your used syringes with you.

Please do not leave your sharps in the restroom as it is not only dangerous but I have seen a train stopped and searched after an attendant found several used syringes in the restroom and reported it to the conductor. In that case the dogs found illegal drugs in two adjacent coaches (the second car had a suitcase full of marijuana).

:) :rolleyes: :blush:

Amtrak doesn't have security in the same way airports do. Luggage and carry-ons are rarely searched. If your insulin needs to be refrigerated, then I recommend a small icebox, like one of those 6-pack sizes sold for lunchboxes. You could put a small padlock through the zipper although I don't think it is really an issue. You could put the bulk of your syringes someplace inconvenient, like the bottom of your carry-on, and just have a day's worth handy. Whatever you usually do when you go out is probably fine.

You might want to make your reservation by phone or in person (as opposed to by online) and mention your disability. They'll make a note on the manifest your car attendant will see, which could be helpful. They might also give you a discount (Some diabetics get discounts, some don't, I have no idea of the criteria.).

My mother's Type 2 diabetes was controlled partly by meds, partly by diet and exercise, and partly by insulin. The food on Amtrak, even food that I thought would be OK, made her blood sugar go haywire. You might want to carry an adequate supply of something in case the cafe or diner doesn't have anything you can eat. Amtrak can arrange some special menus with advance notice, see here.

Hi, San Franciscan

I am an insulin dependent diabetic myself and travel on Amtrak in addition to having worked for them for 35+ years. If you travel I would recommend that you pack your syringes, insulin, and meter in a small travel kit. I see no need to hide the fact that you need to give yourself an injection that is needed for your life to be normal. I have discreetly given myself injections at the table in the dining car, but if you must take your kit with your supplies to a restroom and give yourself an injection. I will tell you that Amtrak don't provide a used sharps container. You must take your used syringes with you.

Please do not leave your sharps in the restroom as it is not only dangerous but I have seen a train stopped and searched after an attendant found several used syringes in the restroom and reported it to the conductor. In that case the dogs found illegal drugs in two adjacent coaches (the second car had a suitcase full of marijuana).

:) :rolleyes: :blush:
I would think you will have no worries at all. There are quite a few people with medical issues that travel by train wherever possible by choice because:

I have not heard of a diebetic having problems because of his needles, etc.

If you are on oxygen, you can carry your own system and supplies. You cannot by air.

If you are in a wheelchair, you can stay in it and not have to be manhandled into one of the airline aisle chairs. If you need meals, they can be brought to you.

If you have metal in your body, you do not have to go through the full "you are a terrorist until proven otherwise" that you get before you get on a plane. (What happened to innocent until proven guilty?)

If you have ear troubles, what pressure changes there are occur at slow rates, with the probable exception of some portions of the Southwest Chief route. Don't know if the climbs on the CZ are fast enough to pop your ears.

There are certainly more.

I agree with Misty. When I did my turn at WAS between a Regional arriving at 1:25 AM and one departing at 3:15 AM, I was asked to show my ticket to the Amtrak Police to show that I was an Amtrak Passenger and not a bum. (I am, but that's besides the point!
mosking.gif
) I found nothing obtrusive.
SHOCKING! Just SHOCKING! I am going to write my Congressman and Senator about this. How could they DARE compare you to a bum? Don't they KNOW a real bum when they see one? IF ever I have seen a real bum, it was certainly Dave!
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Once again. Is the TSA going to protect and guard every single mile of trackage in the USA? Are they going to have a presence at the numerous unstaffed stations scattered all over the country?

Even if you hired 1,000,000 officers, railroads can never be completely secured. A terrorist wouldn't have to board a train at a major city or at all. All they would have to do is to damage the tracks that ride on the edge of a valley or near a bridge. If terrorists hike over a mountain and destroy some tracks in a remote area, how are they going to protect against that?

There was an incident last year when some "vandals" derailed an entire NS coal train (I believe in PA) by just placing a RR tie across the rails. Many cars left the rails but thankfully there were no deaths as it was a freight train. Damage was extensive, all from a single RR tie.. IMO terrorists are not going to risk boarding a train; they will just take the path of least resistance.

The TSA menace is not for our safety. It is just a part of a bigger plan to control the US population. The people behind this are the Globalists, Financiers, Corporatists and World Bankers. Presdient Obama like his predecessor is just a figure head that takes orders from these people. Look how he has changed since he has become president. The man now supports war. At least for the time being he still likes Amtrak!
Well, I'm not gonna jump on that bandwagon, but I do think that what DHS is doing is just creating a need for itself, and the need for add'l staff. Because as one of our wise posters pointed out months ago, "employees are power". i.e., The bigger your staff, the more power you have. And if you have an ever increasing staff (even thru contractors) you have ever increasing political power.(not Dem or Rep, but Departmental power)

It is not just you. Currently living in SF and deliberately carless, I see the same thing. The reasons are farily simple: Checking the tourists and suburbanites, (and the cleaner city dwellers) enables them to check the box so to speak on doing fare inspection without risk to themselves. The second: In a city loaded with professional level "discrimination" screamers, they do subject themselves to spending lots of time defending their actions in a city where "political correctness" is running amok.

All I can say is don't ride the train in China.
I would expect pointless bureaucratic intrusions into my privacy in China, just as I put up with them in the Soviet Union. Both countries are (or were) dictatorships, after all. I resent such intrusions, though, in the U.S.

Well, I'm not gonna jump on that bandwagon, but I do think that what DHS is doing is just creating a need for itself, and the need for add'l staff. Because as one of our wise posters pointed out months ago, "employees are power". i.e., The bigger your staff, the more power you have. And if you have an ever increasing staff (even thru contractors) you have ever increasing political power.(not Dem or Rep, but Departmental power)
Very well written. DHS and TSA are clearly not out for the good of the people as much as they are the good for themselves. Weather you believe that a global conspiracy, A Bush Conspiracy, or a Warthog and Meerkat Conspiracy is to blame doesn't have to be a dividing issue.

Unfortunately, it is becoming ever clear that no form of transportation is being left untouched by the TSA. I read about the "VIPR" teams setting up a check point on an Atlanta Interstate. From what I read, they were only "searching" commercial vehicles, but it still tied up traffic for no real reason.

I've also read that TSA check points have been set up at a few bus stations too.

Last time I went through Chicago, Amtrak police were randomly pulling people aside and going through their bags. Next trip, I'm taking the bus - and that's sad. I love the train, but not enough to accept a 4th Amendment violation to ride it.
What will you do when they start checking bus riders?

If you think it's a 4th Amendment, then sue them in Federal court. Of course, you'll lose because it is not a 4th Amendment violation, but give it a shot anyway.
Wouldn't that depend on who was appointed to various circuit courts and Supreme Court at the time?

Most would be appalled at the security one must go through just to get in the station.
Considering that China doesn't have any enforceable constitutional protections I don't see why you think any of us would be appalled.

Very well written. DHS and TSA are clearly not out for the good of the people as much as they are the good for themselves. Weather you believe that a global conspiracy, A Bush Conspiracy, or a Warthog and Meerkat Conspiracy is to blame doesn't have to be a dividing issue.

Unfortunately, it is becoming ever clear that no form of transportation is being left untouched by the TSA. I read about the "VIPR" teams setting up a check point on an Atlanta Interstate. From what I read, they were only "searching" commercial vehicles, but it still tied up traffic for no real reason.

I've also read that TSA check points have been set up at a few bus stations too.
Can you identify when TSA set up a checkpoint on an Atlanta Interstate?

I love it when the TSA Spokesman is quoted in the article as saying "There is no specific threat."

Yes, It was Tuesday September 28, 2010. According to the Atlanta Jorunal. More information was provided by Channel 2 News.

As a side note... I had originally only read the article in the news. Channel 2 adds the detail that this was done within the Weigh Station. So the "check-point" was not actually across the physical interstate lanes.

I love it when the TSA Spokesman is quoted in the article as saying "There is no specific threat."

Yes, It was Tuesday September 28, 2010. According to the Atlanta Jorunal. More information was provided by Channel 2 News.

As a side note... I had originally only read the article in the news. Channel 2 adds the detail that this was done within the Weigh Station. So the "check-point" was not actually across the physical interstate lanes.
Thanks for the info. No wonder it didn't register with me, since it was at the weigh stations only.

I-75 and I-85 are known drug highways and it is not surprising to see State Troopers and local police pulling over cars on a regular basis - not for speeding, but for drug suspicion. As far as I am concerned, that is a good thing and it has never bothered me while traveling either route.

No wonder it didn't register with me, since it was at the weigh stations only.
Well, it's still an interstate check point set up by the TSA of all commercial vehicles. This was not the police searching for drugs, this was a VIPR drill. I'm certain this will not be the last one done.

Perhaps when your vehicle gets searched for no just cause, you will have a problem with it. Or perhaps you will say "I feel safer." That's up to you. Either way, TSA is obviously growing.

The fact is, the TSA is a government agency, that is able to search, without cause, anyone and anything entering a "check point" they set up. These check points have been set up permanently at all airports. And temporarily at bus stations, train stations, and interstates.

The fact is, that if you ride Amtrak alot, you WILL eventually be...

1- Questioned by the Border Patrol.

2- Questioned by Local Police

3 - Searched by the TSA

4 - Searched by Amtrak Police (this is the only thing I'm 100% for. Amtrak Police have full rights to search Amtrak Passengers Luggage).

I've been personally very lucky, I've only been questioned by border patrol, and had an amtrak police dog "sniff" my luggage. I can't see how anyone believes it should be ok for government or police employees to be able to questions and/or search for no just cause.

Amtrak doesn't have security in the same way airports do. Luggage and carry-ons are rarely searched. If your insulin needs to be refrigerated, then I recommend a small icebox, like one of those 6-pack sizes sold for lunchboxes. You could put a small padlock through the zipper although I don't think it is really an issue. You could put the bulk of your syringes someplace inconvenient, like the bottom of your carry-on, and just have a day's worth handy. Whatever you usually do when you go out is probably fine.

You might want to make your reservation by phone or in person (as opposed to by online) and mention your disability. They'll make a note on the manifest your car attendant will see, which could be helpful. They might also give you a discount (Some diabetics get discounts, some don't, I have no idea of the criteria.).

My mother's Type 2 diabetes was controlled partly by meds, partly by diet and exercise, and partly by insulin. The food on Amtrak, even food that I thought would be OK, made her blood sugar go haywire. You might want to carry an adequate supply of something in case the cafe or diner doesn't have anything you can eat. Amtrak can arrange some special menus with advance notice, see here.
Amtrak apparently will give you ice if needed to keep your insulin cool, as listed here. I assume you would have ask the train attendant in coach, or maybe someone in the diner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back