Congress has its own subway

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rode one of them, not sure which one. It was many years ago when we spent an entire month in D.C. as we went sightseeing and my dad visited his college friends from Georgetown and, not sure of the name of the other one...maybe American University.

I rode one of them, not sure which one. It was many years ago when we spent an entire month in D.C. as we went sightseeing and my dad visited his college friends from Georgetown and, not sure of the name of the other one...maybe American University.
Unless you were specifically invited by a Senator to ride their subway, you'd have most likely ridden the House subway, which is much more easily accessible to the plebeians.

Unless you were specifically invited by a Senator to ride their subway, you'd have most likely ridden the House subway, which is much more easily accessible to the plebeians.
When one visits DC, they can book their Capitol tour through one of their senator's offices. When I did that, one of Durbin's aides gave our group a personal tour and we got the chance to ride the Senate subway from the Hart Office Building. It has no roof and the ride was very short, fast, and breezy.

You used to be able to book tours of the State Department through Senate offices. Don't know if that's still the case.

Back in my Civil Servant days I rode these "Subways" many times, and had delicious Subsidised Affordable Meals in the Senate Dinning Room.( they served a delicious Navy Bean Soup)

Those were simpler times before 911!!!
I had the famous bean soup there, too, in 1969 with two high school friends. One worked for Sen. Packwood and the other for Rep. Al Ullman (Eastern Oregon). The House had left town already, but Packwood's office had gallery tickets for the Senate, and I got to see how they ran routine bipartisan business with a 5-man crew (by not calling for a quorum).

The very best part for me as an Army private in uniform was walking by the military affairs office and seeing a Navy desk officer double-take seeing me, likely worrying about what the heck I was doing there. Of course, I was on my way for a subway ride.

Back in my Civil Servant days I rode these "Subways" many times, and had delicious Subsidised Affordable Meals in the Senate Dinning Room.( they served a delicious Navy Bean Soup)

Those were simpler times before 911!!!
The Senate Dining Hall has some of the best food for the price they charge, in Washington DC.

The Soup is apparently a well known item not to be missed.

Back