Connection from CZ to Cardinal

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aviva_dawn

Train Attendant
Hello All,

I'm booked for a trip from RNO to WAS, via CHI leaving on Thanksgiving. I've never ridden the CZ past SLC, and was looking forward to seeing the remainder of the route, in addition to riding the Cardinal for it's scenic beauty.

I've been checking up on OTP and connection stats for both trains and that connection over the past month, and am a bit concerned by what I noticed.

If I miss the connection to the Cardinal on 11/29, would Amtrak put me on the next day's CL? Or, would it be more prudent to redo my reservation and swap out the Cardinal for the Capital Limited? I'm also aware that the Capital Limited is also having OTP problems of it's own at the moment.

Thank you.

More than likely, what will happen is that if the CZ misses the connection with the Cardinal, you will be rescheduled for the CL that same evening. If that is not possible, you most likely will be rebooked for the CL the next day. It's VERY unlikely (impossible) that you'll be put in a hotel for 2 or 3 days for the next Cardinal! (Remember it only runs 3 days a week.)

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was on the CZ,about 2 years ago, if we were later than 2:30 at Galesburg IL we were to be bused to Indianapolis to pick up the Cardinal.

I got thru Galesburg by minutes and when I got to Chicago I was ushered straight to the Cardinal and never saw the station.

My main concern with missed connections is the availability of sleepers on the rescheduled train!!!! I am a lousy coach sleeper passenger!!!

Have Fun

When I was on the CZ,about 2 years ago, if we were later than 2:30 at Galesburg IL we were to be bused to Indianapolis to pick up the Cardinal.

I got thru Galesburg by minutes and when I got to Chicago I was ushered straight to the Cardinal and never saw the station.
It all depends on your destination. If it's IND, CIN or Prince, WV, you would be bussed since there's no other train there. But if you're going to WAS, there is another option and you'll probably be put on the CL.

It all depends on your destination. If it's IND, CIN or Prince, WV, you would be bussed since there's no other train there. But if you're going to WAS, there is another option and you'll probably be put on the CL.
Not necessarily so. I was bustituted from CZ in Galesburg to Cardinal IND in September, and my destination was to connect with the Crescent the next day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back