CONO sleeper position and express menu

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kentuckian1977

Service Attendant
Which end is the CONO's sleeper running on these days? And I'm assuming they still do the express menu out of CHI for the late dinner? If so for the interest of my mother who will be traveling with me in a few weeks, what other entrees besides the half chicken are on that menu - that's the one I had a couple years ago out of Chicago last time I was on that train.

In the Summer configuration the Sleeper will be on the front behind the Transdorm and in front of the Diner/CCC.

As for the express menu last time I rode it was the chicken, a veggie pasta and catfish with the usual trimmings and deserts on offer!

In the Summer configuration the Sleeper will be on the front behind the Transdorm and in front of the Diner/CCC.

As for the express menu last time I rode it was the chicken, a veggie pasta and catfish with the usual trimmings and deserts on offer!
Thanks Jim. I tend to like the sleeper behind the Transdorm more than at the end of the train, because of the long schlep through all the coaches and the Sightseer to get to the diner.

On every train I've been on, the diner has always been next to the sleepers, whether in front or back. The only exceptions are on trains that split - like the EB, TE and LSL.
The first time I rode the CONO the sleeper was on the tail end in both directions for my CHI-NOL round trip. After that I did a Sunday-Tuesday MEM-CHI turn (a fun way to spend the whole day in Chicago without a hotel!) and the sleeper was between the Transdorm and diner. We're doing the MEM-CHI quick trip again the first part of June, my mother has never been to Chicago so it'll be a fun day for her there and a fun couple of overnights on the train, and was a good way to redeem some points as I don't have the time or money for a longer trip at this time.

A CONO interlinked with a Texas Eagle that trades cars with the Sunset will be laid out Transdorm diner SSL coaches sleeper. A CONO that doesn't will be laid out traditionally.

Last year I rode the CONO and it was laid out thus: Transdorm Sleeper, Coach, Baggage-Coach, SS Lounge, Diner, Coach, Sleeper.

When I was on 421, the sleeper was between the transdorm and diner, on the front (Until SAS, that is...)

Off topic of my original post, but thought it would be better to put this here than to dredge up a half-way related old post on the AGR forum. Anyway, this is not really a big deal since I could always just ask this question to the station agent in Memphis. But, out of curiousity, on a AGR roomette redemption for MEM-CHI, I got the email with the eticket, and the email with the Quicktrak barcode. This is where my question comes in. On the email with the Quicktrak barcode, it says that the tickets must be printed before the train leaves or the entire reservation cancels. For me this is sorta a moot point, as 1.) I may just print the Quicktrak tickets anyway because I'm old school and sorta like getting on the train with an actual ticket and 2.) I don't have to worry about any additional trip segments being auto-cancelled if the first one was cancelled. Again, just curious.

Are you talking about the QR Code?

sample.png

No, I know what that and an eTicket are. I got one email with that, just like you usually do if you are buying your tickets. But, since this was an AGR redemption and I'm leaving from a staffed station, they also sent me an email with the regular, old retail-type barcode that you scan at the Quicktrack machine to print out tickets. My question is if you really HAVE to print the tickets out in this situation (which is precisely what the email with the regular barcode says) or if the eTicket would be valid as normal. I'm guessing it is the latter, but who knows with Amtrak, lol.

The confirmation email always says that. You can either print your tickets, or forget about it. All that matters is if the Conductor scans/collects your ticket. Even if you print your ticket but you do not get on, it's the same as if it was not scanned by the Conductor.

The confirmation email always says that. You can either print your tickets, or forget about it. All that matters is if the Conductor scans/collects your ticket. Even if you print your ticket but you do not get on, it's the same as if it was not scanned by the Conductor.
So in other words the eTicket is all you need, as would be the case with a paid reservation rather than an AGR redemption. Thanks, that is what I thought. But again, ya never know with our beloved Amtrak sometimes. :giggle:

The CONO is currently in its winter consist (and rumor has it that it will remain this way and not go to the horrible summer consist of the past) Consist is as follows: engine, transdorm, sleeper, diner, lounge, bag coach, coach, coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back