Corking Fee?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

warbonnet

Service Attendant
Hi guys,

This may have been addressed in the past somewhere. If a sleeping car PAX brings his\her own bottle of wine to the dining car to have with dinner, does the dining car staff frown on this practice, encourage it with a corking fee, or what? I know Amtrak would rather sell their own wines while on board. I know 11 and 14 have wine tasting and bottles can be purchased after the event and brought to the diner, but what about trains without the wine tasting? Thanks.

Wb

Per Amtrak's website:

Private stockYou may bring aboard your own private stock of alcoholic beverages subject to the following limitations:

• You may consume private stock alcoholic beverages only in Sleeping Car accommodations for which you have a valid ticket.
  • You may not consume private stock alcoholic beverages in any public areas.

I've never tried it; never seen it tried and don't think it is a good idea to try! "Rather sell" is putting it lightly~ I don't think you'll get far walking in with your own supply.

One apparent exception, on the Coast Starlight I bought a bottle in the PPC and they opened it in the dining car. They even let me bring the opened bottle into the diner for dinner the next night. But I bought it on the train (and kept the receipt, though they didn't ask for it. Just said I bought it in the Parlour).

The rules say no, that much is clear. I would suggest you ask before trying to bring anything. If the dining car staff are alright with it then fine. If not then keep your cool and let it go. You could try to sneak it in but I've seen folks hassled about that in the past. Sometimes they confuse your own drinks with drinks they've served you and it starts to going downhill quickly. Better to be honest about it and just ask.

The bottles of "AmWine" our Sleeper Team won on the Empire Builder trivia contest (we CLEANED house BIG TIME!) were hauled into the Diner and Lounge with no problems at all. Of course we got some looks strutting them through the Coaches. But by next morning we were no longer worried as the bottles were long dry by then :lol:

I wonder what the reply to "What's the corking fee to open this?" would be from your server, as you displayed your personal stock at the dinner table.

[server to Self]: "Hey, that's against the rules. So, if I say $10 I guess I'd have to keep it for myself."

I wonder what the reply to "What's the corking fee to open this?" would be from your server, as you displayed your personal stock at the dinner table.

[server to Self]: "Hey, that's against the rules. So, if I say $10 I guess I'd have to keep it for myself."

I like this... I may try this line on my next trip...LOL!

Hi guys,

This may have been addressed in the past somewhere. If a sleeping car PAX brings his\her own bottle of wine to the dining car to have with dinner, does the dining car staff frown on this practice, encourage it with a corking fee, or what? I know Amtrak would rather sell their own wines while on board. I know 11 and 14 have wine tasting and bottles can be purchased after the event and brought to the diner, but what about trains without the wine tasting? Thanks.

Wb
Why not just have the SCA bring your meal to your sleeper and enjoy your wine there?

The rules say no, that much is clear. I would suggest you ask before trying to bring anything. If the dining car staff are alright with it then fine. If not then keep your cool and let it go. You could try to sneak it in but I've seen folks hassled about that in the past. Sometimes they confuse your own drinks with drinks they've served you and it starts to going downhill quickly. Better to be honest about it and just ask.
In any event there will be no corkage fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back