Crescent discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I truly weep for the serious consequences that have severely beset these gigantic corporations.
No doubt, but I'm suggesting the freights are playing hardball with these slow orders. Seems obvious, but there is just so little reporting. It's probably random it hit the smallest, NS, but they all got the message, to futz around.

Note to self, never schedule travel on this stretch when its summer and might be hot. Or, when its winter and might be cold. Or, when it's spring and might be closed for maintenance blitz....
Or fall, leaves on the line might make the rail slippery. :D

Do not expect Crescent to operate south of ATL for the next 10 days.. It is going to be hot on its whole route. ATL will hit 100 F by Friday and hotter still SAT.

Only solution would be to run it at night From ATL <> NOL. But finding another train set probably is not practical. As well how to lay over the 2 train sets in ATL. With nighttime departures the northbound set would back into the Steel siding. Southbound would pull into steel siding. You have locos nose to nose with 4 locos only one would need to provide HEP both train sets.

How to plan for passengers to not interfere with NS would also need some planning. Probably only allow them to use the single road under NS. Maybe plan that for next year.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't get it - why the problem with the Crescent's route? It's not like it's the only place these days with continuous 100* temps. What about the Chief? I don't hear of it being cancelled or shortened due to track problems. Florida has had record days of heat warnings, I don't hear anything about the Silvers being impacted either.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't get it - why the problem with the Crescent's route? It's not like it's the only place these days with continuous 100* temps. What about the Chief? I don't hear of it being cancelled or shortened due to track problems. Florida has had record days of heat warnings, I don't hear anything about the Silvers being impacted either.
NS is imposing slower heat restrictions for longer hours than other RRs and Amtrak. Believe Amtrak's restriction is 60 degrees with each section of track depending on temps. Believe NS is a blanket restriction.

NS is probably shy after Palestine and the preliminary NTSB report of the out of alignment problem causing Amtrak derailment on BNSF.

NS is imposing slower heat restrictions for longer hours than other RRs and Amtrak. Believe Amtrak's restriction is 60 degrees with each section of track depending on temps. Believe NS is a blanket restriction.

NS is probably shy after Palestine and the preliminary NTSB report of the out of alignment problem causing Amtrak derailment on BNSF.

Ah; yeah, makes sense, thanks. And I guess NS has been less diligent about their track maintenance.

Before we went to New Orleans, I tracked the Crescent's arrival times for an entire month. So I was not surprised to arrive at 10 pm rather than around 7:30. At least there were plenty of taxi cabs waiting for us., and we left fellow passengers waiting for their Ubers. We spent the next day as very happy tourists.

I agree with the comment about NS being gun-shy because of Palestine, OH. Neither the CN CONO route through Mississippi nor the UP Sunset route through Texas have modified their ATK schedules. Both these routes are experiencing the same temps as the NS Crescent route in Mississippi. Oh well.

Before we went to New Orleans, I tracked the Crescent's arrival times for an entire month. So I was not surprised to arrive at 10 pm rather than around 7:30. At least there were plenty of taxi cabs waiting for us., and we left fellow passengers waiting for their Ubers. We spent the next day as very happy tourists.
What did you use to track the arrival times? Did you just log on and check the status of the train every day?

I saw the 19 today (9/16) in ATL with an extra dorm/baggage car on the rear. Anybody know why?

I look everyday as I pass the station on the interstate to see if the dining car has returned. I am always disappointed:(:(.

I saw the 19 today (9/16) in ATL with an extra dorm/baggage car on the rear. Anybody know why?

I look everyday as I pass the station on the interstate to see if the dining car has returned. I am always disappointed:(:(.
You will continue to be disappointed. There are some rumors that maybe sometime in 2024.

With the diner off the train and only a cafe and one overworked LSA, the Crescent has joined the Eaglette and the Capitol on my "do not ride" list. Which is a shame, because I enjoyed the route the one time I rode it.
I hear you. I only went on it once, late summer 2015, enjoyed it very much. Very pretty scenery, nice people, awesome SCAs.

Extra dorm/baggage car was deadheading (not being used)

I have taken the Crescent 100+ times mostly between Atlanta and Hattiesburg, MS. For several years I owned businesses in Hattiesburg and Louisiana. I kept a car in Hattiesburg and would take the Crescent to save me having to drive the 6.5 hours (if I did not stop) to Hattiesburg. It was funny that during those years, I would usually find a bedroom at a cheaper rate than the roomettes. I want to take the train this winter to DC, but not gonna happen if there is no dining car. I will fly instead.

Will the Crescent south of ATL ever run again?

Note to self, never schedule travel on this stretch when its summer and might be hot. Or, when its winter and might be cold. Or, when it's spring and might be closed for maintenance blitz....

Or fall, leaves on the line might make the rail slippery. :D
So much for the "all-weather mode" of transportation, that the railroads in general boasted about, back in the early to mid twentieth century in its ads, when rival highway and airway modes began competing for passenger business... :rolleyes:

So with diner car back do u think also traditional dining will return. I loved riding Crescent from NO to Jersey but last time I rode to Atlanta it was awful. Food and SCA.
I guess I could put up with poor service and food - but the schedule change means catching a train at midnight or later (sometimes much later, like 7 a.m.) and spending most of the next day on the train, instead of getting stuff done in DC.

So with diner car back do u think also traditional dining will return. I loved riding Crescent from NO to Jersey but last time I rode to Atlanta it was awful. Food and SCA.
Yes. Traditional Dining will return to the Crescent, maybe later in 2024. Diner Car will return possibly earlier in 2024.

Haven’t heard anything about traditional dining returning to any other train. Obviously The Texas Eagle and The Crescent should be first,because of their length, but Amtrak has their own agenda.
Of the single level trains, the Lake Shore Limited is next, followed by the Crescent. No official notifications yet, which will happen only when actual dates are fixed. But the sequence has been stated by Amtrak management sources in discussions with RPA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back