Cumbres and Toltec Railroad

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ispolkom

Engineer
I'm planning a trip to the southwest this summer. We're taking the Southwest Chief to Albuquerque, then renting a car for eight days, then returning on the train from Albuquerque to Minot, No. Dak., via Los Angeles and Portland. (A 1-zone award!)

We're thinking of riding the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad. It's a remnant of the Denver and Rio Grande's narrow-gauge empire, like the more famous Durango and Silverton.

Has anyone ridden this line? Can I sell this as a scenic wonder, as well as foamer paradise? Is there any essential advantage to upgrading to a better class on the train other than the social separation? Any recommendations for a motel in Chama?

Yes, it is a top notch real historic operation.The wife(non-rail fan) and I spent a week last fall riding most of the scenic tourist railroads in Colorado.We both liked the Cumbres and Toltec RR the best.You have a lot of ride options. We rode the full route from Chama to Antonito with an excellent turkey dinner(menu choice) at the midpoint lunch stop. We took the bus option back to Chama too save some time.The bus ride was good, also. We spent most of our time on the open gondola car(no seats) which was available to everyone. We arrived on the property early and the crew and volunteer guides were happy too take our photos on the equipment.

We stayed at the Chama Station Inn across the street. A very old place but the wife loved that aspect and she would go again.

It's only about 5 hours away from my house! Sadly, I still haven't got a chance to ride yet.

I've heard it's a really good ride, esp. it's on narrow gauge and the locomotives are steam power. You'll be crossing states several times! So, I recommend for you to take it!

The second mention I've seen today of a tourist train.

Is there a weblist somewhere of them in the US?

I rode the Skunk and Roaring Trees as a kid and recently did the Napa Wine Train.

Might like to try a few more.

Absolutely GO!

I did it quite a few years ago, doing the C&T one day and the D&S the next day. I stayed in a B&B, but that was back in the 90's, so I can't give any current recommendations.

As Greg said, you cross the border of NM and CO IIRC 7 times during the ride! (My kind of trip! :p )

The best tourist line is probably the Strasburg Railroad, partly because of its location. But also because all their equipment is in top shape, they run it very professionally, and the organization behind it is totally dedicated. They've been doing this profitably for 50 years, so they have a pretty good idea of what goes where and why.

Also they are ambitious. They have plans to run a few commuter trains by way of Paradise connecting cross platform with the Amtrak Keystones. I don't know if it will ever be built. But it wouldn't shock me. Also, they are the only tourist operator to once in a long while get permission to haul steam on Amtrak track without a P42 for back up. Which says something about Amtrak's opinion of the people who run the thing.

Thanks to RRRick and The Traveler, as your responses helped me sell Mrs. Ispolkom on riding this line. It didn't help that I found a geological guide keyed to mileposts on the railroad, but I reminded her that I can't stop the train to look at the rocks...

Back