CUS: Security, Privacy, and You

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I don't mind "Jobs programs". My dad-in-law was a professor in "vocational rehab" .

The TSA jobs program - not so good. And most TSA and even some rent-a-cops have been fairly decent to me.

BUT -- paying otherwise unemployable people is good, but giving them "almost cop-like powers" not so good. Hell, a lot of hick-town, and big-city cops are only cops because of corruption, and "what can we do with defiant young "so-and-so" -- make the Mayor hire him onto the Police force, of course.

We get what we pay for. Or get taken for . . ..

If you don't wish to be searched for whatever reason, state your disapproval, refuse and move on to whatever comes along with that line of thought. No need to ask where or when it may happen.
And if you don't have a problem with people cheating you, meekly acquiesce, ask them for another, and move on to whatever comes along for the country with that line of thought. No need to stand up for your own damned rights.
Hey,I'm just saying the man has to do what he has to do to take care of his own issues. It had. nothing to do with my "damned rights" which I take seriously.
And you don't think that asking where it when it may happen is an appropriate means to take care of his own issues? It all starts with education and preparation.

Lest people get the wrong impression, my position in this matter is not absolute at all. Yes I value my privacy and other rights. OTOH I do realize that there are genuine risks that need to be mitigated and some of it might include certain intrusions into my rights in specific situations. For example, I cannot imagine flying safely without going through some sort of vetting to determine that I will not do something undesirable while flying. The mitigation though has to be proportional to the risk and acts involved must be carried out professionally. Furthermore the purported acts of mitigation should not be used for purposes other than the risk being mitigated. This is where the whole TSA exercise looks questionable to me, not that I and others are vetted before getting on a commercial plane.

As for trains, the nature of risks is different. The attack vectors in case of trains are primarily in the form of attack on ROW. For each on board bomb attack in the wold on a train there have been ten or more tampering with track either by accident or deliberately, causing mayhem. So the value of pre-boarding vetting is low, and therefore should be carried out much less intrusively. Indeed, as the events in Brussels Airport show, the greater risk is at the station than aboard the vehicle, since the stations really are much softer targets. How you protect them is quite a challenge. Sniffing and poking only those that are boarding a small subset of trains is mitigating a lesser risk.

Countries where the risk profile is greater do actually keep themselves prepared to search and check everyone entering a station premise. Usually these are not actively carried out until the risk level is determined to be high enough to require such, based on other intelligence. In big cities in India when risk levels are determined to be high enough, you do have to walk through a magnetometer, be patted down and have all bags opened and searched when you enter a mall or a cinema house, or a hotel (specially western chains ones) even, in addition to Metro Stations and even Main Line stations. If the risk is real it needs to be mitigated and one has to decide what is the right tradeoff between privacy right and the right to continue to live unharmed. There is no simple, single or easy answer to this conundrum. It has to be handled almost case by case.

If you don't wish to be searched for whatever reason, state your disapproval, refuse and move on to whatever comes along with that line of thought. No need to ask where or when it may happen.
And if you don't have a problem with people cheating you, meekly acquiesce, ask them for another, and move on to whatever comes along for the country with that line of thought. No need to stand up for your own damned rights.
Hey,I'm just saying the man has to do what he has to do to take care of his own issues. It had. nothing to do with my "damned rights" which I take seriously.
And you don't think that asking where it when it may happen is an appropriate means to take care of his own issues? It all starts with education and preparation.

FWIW, the increased security presence at Chicago Union Station may have something to do with the ongoing construction/renovation efforts there. Before they got into full swing, I didn't notice as much of a presence (and don't ever recall seeing a K-9 patrol inside). The same level of security occurred during the construction of the 9/11 Memorial in NYC. During construction, reservations and photo ID was required just to view the open air reflecting pools, which are now freely open and accessible. For whatever reason, construction seems to make security personnel somewhat antsy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back