CZ top speed

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KmH

Engineer
On Amtrak's Track-A-Train web page I've not seen the CZ being shown going faster than 80 mph anywhere on the route.

Does the CZ go faster than 80 on any parts of the route?

It looks like the longest straight and flat run on the CZ's route is right next to I-80 between SLC and Wendover. I would expect that part of the CZ's route to be the fastest

I did watch a video (time lapse) of the CZ on that section of track and it looked like the train was going a fair bit faster than car/trucks on I-80.

On Amtrak's Track-A-Train web page I've not seen the CZ being shown going faster than 80 mph anywhere on the route.

Does the CZ go faster than 80 on any parts of the route?

It looks like the longest straight and flat run on the CZ's route is right next to I-80 between SLC and Wendover. I would expect that part of the CZ's route to be the fastest

I did watch a video (time lapse) of the CZ on that section of track and it looked like the train was going a fair bit faster than car/trucks on I-80.
79 is the max speed along the route. (Some areas do have slower limits as well.)

79 mph is the fastest speed limit I'm aware of on the route of the California Zephyr. Speeds of 80 mph and above require cab signals. Doesn't matter how straight the track is, if the line doesn't have a cab signal system, the speed limit is 79 (or slower if need be).

Could also go over 80 or over if they had automatic train stop, which enables the SW Chief to do 90 on parts of the old Santa Fe.

FRA regulations limit the speed to less than 80 mph without ATS or cab signals.

I'm kinda disappointed 79 MPH is the limit.

But, I understand even a relatively lightweight passenger train can't stop all that quick.

I did read about trains back in the day running routes in less time than today.

Off topic, but I watched a video that showed the CZ between Reno to just past Emigrant Gap in 1999 with 6 box cars on the end of the consist.

Those box cars were Road Railers. For a (very) short time, Amtrak carried "freight" but the host lines got made at "a subsidized passenger railroad using our freight lines to carry freight and (basically) without compensation". So that failed experiment ended. You may see some of the many cars parked around. (The last time I was past the LA Maintenance facility, there were lines of them parked there going nowhere fast.)

Amtrak ran express box cars from 1986 to 2004, supplemented in later years with roadrailers.

We were in the 79-82 mph going across Nevada in early december, assuming my smart phone speedometer app is valid.

The old SFZ used to run 90+ when on the UP's superhighway between Cheyenne and Ogden....they did have cab-signals over that line....either in the Amtrak units, or borrowed UP pilot engines......

When I say (+)....I meant that....I often timed 36 second miles on the road between Rawlins and Laramie...especially when Number 6 was making up time after receiving the train late at Ogden from the SP.... :cool:

The old SFZ used to run 90+ when on the UP's superhighway between Cheyenne and Ogden....they did have cab-signals over that line....either in the Amtrak units, or borrowed UP pilot engines......

When I say (+)....I meant that....I often timed 36 second miles on the road between Rawlins and Laramie...especially when Number 6 was making up time after receiving the train late at Ogden from the SP.... :cool:
It was possible in the old days,now locomotives have event recorders.

79 is the max speed along the route. (Some areas do have slower limits as well.)
What routes have higher speeds (other than Acela, obviously)? What's the rate-limiting step? Rail, rolling stock?
Pacific Surfliner and the Southwest Chief run up to 90mph; Blue Water, Wolverine, Empire Service, and Illinois Service (Chicago-St. Louis) are up to 110mph. Keystone and Regionals are 125mph, and other routes are 110-125mph on the NEC depending on equipment. Limiting factor is signals and track.

Keystone corridor is 110 mph max, no 125 yet. And 110 is between Harrisburg and Parkesburg in some spots, once you go past Parkesburg you won't hit that until past Philadelphia.

Keystone corridor is 110 mph max, no 125 yet. And 110 is between Harrisburg and Parkesburg in some spots, once you go past Parkesburg you won't hit that until past Philadelphia.
Keystone Service though will still run 125 MPH between Philly and New York.

IIRC, they had mechanical speed recorder's back then....could possibly have been disconnected, or they were simply "more liberal" about speed limits back then.

Either way, on that superbly maintained track, the passenger's were never aware of that speed, unless they were timing the mileposts, as I was.... :)

(or watching the cars and semi's on I-80/US-30 seemingly going backwards!) ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Even after speed recorders became standard, many railroads would ignore operation above the speed limit -- especially if the train in question was late. The situation began to change in the 1970s when railroads became more conscious of liability and portable radar units became available. These days, enforcement is quite strict.

What routes have higher speeds (other than Acela, obviously)? What's the rate-limiting step? Rail, rolling stock?
Pacific Surfliner and the Southwest Chief run up to 90mph; Blue Water, Wolverine, Empire Service, and Illinois Service (Chicago-St. Louis) are up to 110mph. Keystone and Regionals are 125mph, and other routes are 110-125mph on the NEC depending on equipment. Limiting factor is signals and track.
Very good summary.

Keystone Service though will still run 125 MPH between Philly and New York.
Yes - point being that, like the Silver Meteor, you can go fast on the NEC, but the rest of the route that is dedicated to the Silvers and in this case the Keystone, is slower.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back