Day Roomette

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I've reserved a roomette for a trip from Sacramento to Los Angeles in a couple of weeks. After reading on this forum, I realized it was well worth the extra money over the coach seat price because of three meals included, the Parlor Car amenity, and the ability to retreat to your own private space at times during 15 hours on the train.

The question that I hope some people here can answer is: what is the propriety of asking the sleeping car attendant to make up a bed in the roomette at some point during the ride? I am certain I will want to take a nap at some point because the trip is going to make for a very long day, as I will need to get up by 4:30 a.m. or so to be able to get to the Sacramento station in time for the 6:30 departure.

Is using a bed during the day unusual in a roomette reserved during daylight hours? Do I need to tip the attendant in advance? What is the protocol? Or should I just try to sleep in the roomette seat? If the bed can be made up, how soon before arriving in Los Angeles is it custom to let the attendant return the room to its usual daytime configuration?

Thank you for all the good advice that it is put on this forum.

As for taking nap, I usually put one of the seats into reclining position and put your feet up on opposite seat. Roomette has 2 full size pillows that you can use. Or you can put both seats in flat position. You can ask attendant if you want to use mattress which is stored in upper bed. It's your choice.

You can put the bottom seats into the flat reclined yourself and get the pillow out of the upper bunk, unless you really need the blankets, etc. I would just lay on the bottom seats flat to nap with the pillows. They recline with a bar below the front I believe.

You paid for it, use it as you want to-if you want to sleep, have him make it up. If you don't want to bother him, just drop the top bunk down, and use the upper. Either way, why sit up when you want to sleep, if you want to use the bed, use it.

Just ask him and he should be happy to do it unless he is somewhere else, like hanging out in the Diner or Lounge, which are common places for attendants to hang out.

Hi there, I like to lay down a sheet or shawl when my head is anywhere near the seat cushions. I routinely travel with a shawl to use from a sheet, a blanket, a towel or make shift wall, lol.

I've gone the same route as you in a roomette and although my train was delayed by over 5 hours, my understanding is that your SCA can and will put the bed down and back up for you any time that you request. Leaving at 6:30AM, your roomettes might already be made into beds.

Personally, I'd set my stuff in my roomette, meet the SCA to let him know I'll probably want the bed down from x-y time, or to leave it down for the whole trip. Then go grab some breakfast and your bed should be made for you by the time you get back. You can skip breakfast, of course, but you will have to step out of the roomette for the bed to be made so it's a good time to eat, unless maybe you don't eat before laying down.

Then, I'd arrange to around Salinas, which if it's running on time may be around 10:30 or 11. That gives me some time to wake up, freshen up, pull out what I'll need for the day and then it's right about lunch time. The SCA could use the lunchtime opportunity to convert the roomette back. I've used the recliners and a neck pillow for an afternoon nap right before dinner and after dinner I'm too excited to sleep any more!

Have a great time!

I'd have both beds put down so I could stick my stuff on the upper bunk and nap on the lower one! The room attendants tend to be helpful.

Just ask him and he should be happy to do it unless he is somewhere else, like hanging out in the Diner or Lounge, which are common places for attendants to hang out.
The same with passengers, so why bring that up? :blush: I'm very seldom in my room, especially on the CS. Much of the tinge I spend I the PPC. In fact that's where I was earlier this week. Except when I was asleep, most times I was in the PPC - either "viewing" or eating. I ate every meal from LAX to PDX in the PPC!

The same with passengers, so why bring that up? :blush: I'm very seldom in my room, especially on the CS. Much of the tinge I spend I the PPC. In fact that's where I was earlier this week. Except when I was asleep, most times I was in the PPC - either "viewing" or eating. I ate every meal from LAX to PDX in the PPC!
But the OP wants to sleep! Thruth is, he probably won't sleep much when he actually gets onboard!

As others have noted, the attendant will make your room up for sleeping upon request, even during the daytime. Just be advised that he is required to prepare your room and beds for the next departure, and as he stops being paid as soon as the train pulls into the station it is expected that he will do so prior to arrival. You might mention to him, as he prepares the room for your nap, that if you are still asleep you would like him to awaken you 90 minutes or so before expected arrival. This will allow you to get your nap, and for him to have time to make up the room properly.

I think he can do it with 30 minutes notice, especially if it's not a major station or terminal. But to answer the OP, the staff is there to serve you, so you should have the service you want. It's not beyond the scope of the duty of the sleeping car attendant to make up or take down beds at unusual hours.

That being said, I may suggest that you have the attendant make up the top bunk and keep the lower seats intact. That way, you can rest as needed, and switch to your seats and table as you wish. This is the arrangement I like so I can keep my laptop/GPS plugged in. Then, I can sleep (when I'm not looking out the window).

It's your room, the attendant will make it up whenever you'd like.
I'd just tip normally at the end of the ride.
On Superliners, I have lowered the upper bunk and jumped up there. The extra mattress (for the lower bed) makes it comfy. And ... you can do it by yourself, keep the lower open, and close the upper when you are done - all without bothering the attendant. Just a thought. . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back